PDA

View Full Version : Oil/lubrication Question.

Dilan
21-01-2005, 06:33 AM
Hi,

My apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I will be building a refrigeration system for my PC. Pics can be found on www.silverplatinum.tk, under "Gallery" and "Xtreme Frosbite".

Now I will be using propane (R290) as a refrigerant. I have had a bit of a problem finding some cheap/small quantity oil for the system. But I managed to find some (today) :)

It is called Suniso Mineral Oil 3GS, which has a viscosity of SUS150, am I right? SUS 100 - SUS 150 is what I am after.

Now my two Questions:

1) Does 3GS=Sus 150?
2)What does add a charge of 10 psi static mean?

Peter_1
21-01-2005, 08:19 AM
Regarding SUS versus 3GS or 4GS see
http://www.hydrobalance.com/MineralLubricants.htm
You need 3GS but why do you need oil anyway, compressors are normally prefileld.

Add refrigerant while standstill till given pressure or increase pressure after a vacuum in your system with R290 till 10 psi.

We have a special section "CPU Overclockers"

Dilan
21-01-2005, 11:31 AM
The oil was burnt, otherwise I would not have made my work 2x harder. :)
I'll have to read up more static charging.

chemi-cool
21-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Hi Dilan.

Peter has explained it perfectly.
Static pressure is the pressure inside a system when it is still,
After it was under vacuum and filled with R-290 up to the point when the gauges low side shows 10psi.

Chemi :)

Peter_1
21-01-2005, 07:00 PM
If the oil was burnt, then you have a problem.
Why was it burnt?
Hasn't it attacked the windings?
You will need to clean it and add a protector canister (AcidAway) in the oil and/or a burnout filter .

botrous
21-01-2005, 10:20 PM
The oil was burnt, otherwise I would not have made my work 2x harder. :)
I'll have to read up more static charging.

How the oil burnt ? was it due to compressor heated (no overload installed) or what ?????
Be careful to cleanup the compressor very well and to check the cause of oil burnt

Dilan
22-01-2005, 12:43 AM
I will try get a pic of the OIL ASAP. The people I asked said the oil was burnt, ( I will kill him, if he is wrong). :)

Just another question, can anything bad happen from mineral oil, comming in contact with the atmosphere?

Edit - Peter, I tried looking at that site, but couldn't find out what the viscosity of 3gS was?

Jasper
22-01-2005, 09:43 AM
Any refrigeration grade oil when exposed to the atmosphere will attract moisture. Mineral oil is not as hygroscopic as esther oil but will still pick up moisture :(

Peter_1
22-01-2005, 08:14 PM
IEdit - Peter, I tried looking at that site, but couldn't find out what the viscosity of 3gS was?

H.B. MINERAL LUBRICANTS
NAPHTHENIC (MINERAL) REFR. LUBRICANTS

H.B. naphthenic refrigeration oils are manufactured by Calumet Lubricants and packaged under strict quality controls in our ISO 9001 certified facility. These lubricants meet or exceed the specifications of most equipment manufacturers including:

General Electric Danfoss

Bristol

Copeland

Trane

Carrier (Carlyle)

White Consolidated
MINERAL REFR. OIL #3

(Calumet RO15)

Replaces 3GS or C-3

ISO Viscosity Grade 32 / 150 SUS @ 100°F

MINERAL REFR. OIL #4

(Calumet RO30)

Replaces 4GS or C-4

ISO Viscosity Grade 68 / 300 SUS @ 100°F

MINERAL REFR. OIL #5Replaces 5GS or C-5

ISO Viscosity Grade 100 / 525 SUS @ 100°F

REFRIG#3 MSDS

REFRIG#4 MSDS

REFRIG#5 MSDS

ORDERING DATA

botrous
23-01-2005, 09:25 PM
I will try get a pic of the OIL ASAP. The people I asked said the oil was burnt, ( I will kill him, if he is wrong).

The people you asked are refrigeration professionals , if so why didn't you ask them for the oil replace ? :eek:

Dilan
23-01-2005, 11:41 PM
The people you asked are refrigeration professionals , if so why didn't you ask them for the oil replace ? :eek:
Because maybe he was unsure of the viscosity of the 3GS oil at temperatures of -40°C. :eek:
If you don’t want me to ask questions, I will refrain from doing so, I was under the impression that forums where a place of discussion, asking questions and meeting/interacting with people who have similar interests :confused:

On the other hand, thanks for the information Peter_1, you have been a help from the start.
Just confirmation, 3GS has a viscosity of Sus 150 @ 100°F?

botrous
24-01-2005, 05:04 PM
If you don’t want me to ask questions, I will refrain from doing so, I was under the impression that forums where a place of discussion, asking questions and meeting/interacting with people who have similar interests

That was not my point , what i aimed to , is to know why you had not confidence in the one who said that the oil was burned . . .
Forum are places of discussions no doupt , and that what i was doing . . .
Surprised of why you thought like that . . . anyway i gladly appologies if my posts where in anyway a harm for you.
So please accpet my appology

Dilan
25-01-2005, 05:53 AM
Sorry I came across very arrogantly, had a bad day.
After asking around, I have found out that Suniso 3GS would clog my evaporator at the temperatures I am running. So that is a shame.
I have to look out for a aklylbenzene oil, or some mineral oil that is rated to around -40°C.

Dilan
25-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Here is a pic of the oil, does it look burnt to you guys?
I am not sure what type of oil that is, the compressor says CCL2F2 (which I am guessing is the refrigerant.

chemi-cool
25-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Hi Dilan.

The refrigerant ccl2f2 is R-12.
You can not use it any more.

The oil looks used but not burnt.

POE is oil that can work with no problems in low temp but so is MIN oil.

Chemi :)

rbartlett
25-01-2005, 05:50 PM
Here is a pic of the oil, does it look burnt to you guys?
I am not sure what type of oil that is, the compressor says CCL2F2 (which I am guessing is the refrigerant.

the oil doesn't look too bad but the fruit certainly looks past it's sell by date !!

cheers

richard