PDA

View Full Version : regulations

neil sailes
20-01-2005, 09:59 AM
Hello all.

Could any one tell me what the regulations are for handling HFC refrigerant, do the same rules apply to it as they do for HCFC's.
All it is that were I work I 'am putting in an argument for a new reclaim machine due to us changing over to HFC refrigerants. The company can't understand why we still have to reclaim none ODP refrigerants so I'm trying to put up a good argument across, so if anyone knows any links as well that would be helpfull.

Thanks

Neil

Tony
20-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Neil,

All refrigerants have to be recovered, because even though HFC refrigerants have zero ODPs, they have HUGE GWPs. So even though they are advertised as ozone friendley, I'm afraid they are NOT environmentally friendly. :eek:

Therefore in answer to your question, yes the same rules apply to HFCs as CFCs and HCFCs. :)

Also the cost of HFCs is astrinomical so finacially you would not want to release them.

Lastly if you have an old recovery machine, it is quite likely that it will have mineral oil in it. This will not work with HFCs.

Ideally you want an oilless machine.

If you want a good, robust machine rather than the plastic body one generally available let me know.

Alan B
20-01-2005, 03:18 PM
What are you offering Tony?
Alan B

chemi-cool
20-01-2005, 03:42 PM
Hi Alan'
Look here: http://www.bacharach-inc.com/

Good machines.

Chemi :)

Alan B
20-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Thanks Chemi.
Which one do you use - and how often do you use it?
Alan B.

botrous
20-01-2005, 05:10 PM
Try to search www.epa.gov contains a lot of information about envirnomental protection eg use of refrigerants

chemi-cool
20-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Hi Alan,

I did not buy any yet cause there are no regulations regarding refrigerant recovery yet.
I use home made machine at the moment, sort of a small condensing unit, with many filters. I "collect" R12 and R502.

It will be the Stinger 2000 when and if I will decide.
But there are many brands on the market.

Go for a machine with a good service and happy users.

Chemi

Alan B
20-01-2005, 06:20 PM
Hi Chemi,
Previous threads in the forum seem to suggest that oil-less recovery units are more prone to failure than "conventional" units. Are they less robust perhaps?
Alan B.

chemi-cool
20-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Hi Alan,

I wouldn't know if oil-less is better but the sale men represent it as better.

In my opinion, two metal parts working and there is friction between them, oil or grease is needed.

Why not run a pole about " which recovery machine would you recommend and why"

It will give you some idea of what machine is more popular.

Chemi :)

Alan B
20-01-2005, 10:44 PM
Good idea.
Any thoughts anyone?
Alan B.