PDA

View Full Version : Refrigeration, the trade today.

Colin G
23-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Over the years i have heard lot of storys of such a relaxed industry in the past, where for the most part it was un regulated and no one really cared much for how gas would 'disapear' and certain practises of work.

Whats the majority opinion these days do we 'new' generation engineers get it easy because of high tech monitoring equipment and sophisticated methods so adjorned today, or is our job even worse with the likes of fgas and people breathing down your neck every time you so much as pass wind?

Colin G
23-01-2010, 08:15 PM
dont get me wrong its a good thing im all for taking a responcibility for my actions especially when you think along the lines of that what you do now effects the future of our children. im carefull at work wank all my hoses and that but feel climate change is a thing that happens anyway, its a cycle that has been going on for thousands of years, well apparantly...

coolhibby1875
24-01-2010, 12:58 AM
the only thing thats diff now is money and lack of it, In days gone by fridge engineers were payed really well, now we earn less a hour than a painter and decorator!

multisync
24-01-2010, 10:43 AM
the only thing thats diff now is money and lack of it, In days gone by fridge engineers were payed really well, now we earn less a hour than a painter and decorator!

In times gone there were proper apprenticeships and learning. Now it's turn up and get the certificate..2079 inc I'm led to believe..

maybe there is a connection between a de-skilled trade and a fall in value?

coolhibby1875
24-01-2010, 11:08 AM
In times gone there were proper apprenticeships and learning. Now it's turn up and get the certificate..2079 inc I'm led to believe..

maybe there is a connection between a de-skilled trade and a fall in value?

you can have certificates coming out your ears that doesnt help you fix a fridge, these certs are really there to satisfy your clients insurance companies, i would like to see someone with all the certs and no proper traing stand in front of a screw pack at 3 o'clock in the morning in a sainsburys, trying to get to the bottom of a inverter fault.
There is still plenty of highly skilled engineers out there and they are the guys that deserve the better pay, the de-skilled engineers that you speak of generly are found out pretty quik and end up fitting a/c:D

Clk320_Greg
24-01-2010, 11:44 AM
IMO there is a massive gap between the old school quallity engineers and the new bread of cirtificate loveing up and comers.

I can see this clearly because i am one of these new types, while i spend hours and hours reading and studying to lean more and understand different aspects there is no replacement for "on the tools training". The problem is no firm seems to want to invest the 3-5 years and training costs in there people. Insted they prefere to just buddy them up with an old school guy and hope that some sort of data transfere happens as a result of the close proximity! Ok, so they will pick up some skills and learning but its no substitute for being sat down and taught something hands on!

There may be a dip now, but i predict that in 7-10 years time the going rate for a highly skilled engineer will rocket!

multisync
24-01-2010, 03:36 PM
you can have certificates coming out your ears that doesnt help you fix a fridge, these certs are really there to satisfy your clients insurance companies, i would like to see someone with all the certs and no proper traing stand in front of a screw pack at 3 o'clock in the morning in a sainsburys, trying to get to the bottom of a inverter fault.
There is still plenty of highly skilled engineers out there and they are the guys that deserve the better pay, the de-skilled engineers that you speak of generly are found out pretty quik and end up fitting a/c:D

Few were better trained than those at Halls, Lightfoot or Prestcold etc.

I would rate

1 Industrial refrigeration
2 Supermarket Transport ,& Chiller (equal)
3 Commercial fridge
4 Commercial air con
5 Split bashers (me)
6 Domestic

Most deserve 'better pay' the 2079 ironically was the very tool that would drive that forward. However greedy training centres have already undermined it sufficiently to render this no more than a dashed hope...

As regards the de-skilled & the newbies: a simple Foster fridge would suffice...You'd be surprised how many fail on basic fridge faults...

coolhibby1875
24-01-2010, 08:07 PM
the 2079 really has nothing to do with pay its simply down to insurance purpose, as if you dont have it you should not be working on sytems, there are electricians,apprientices,engineers mates and installers all have this, and by having it they arent going to get more money, and as for 1 man bands and small companies there customers arent going to pay more for a compressor change cause you have the 2079!

multisync
24-01-2010, 08:22 PM
the 2079 really has nothing to do with pay its simply down to insurance purpose, as if you dont have it you should not be working on sytems, there are electricians,apprientices,engineers mates and installers all have this, and by having it they arent going to get more money, and as for 1 man bands and small companies there customers arent going to pay more for a compressor change cause you have the 2079!

You miss my main point

2079 via legislation was supposed to ring fence the trade to qualified personnel . It has nothing to do with insurance....

By doing so it would have protected those within from attack by outsiders and unqualifieds. If that had happened we could have increased the standard of engineers and by association the standing of the trade. This in turn would force up wages and conditions.

Those seeking the service of qualified engineers would -to a point- have to pay the rate.
Sadly it has already been compromised by poor legislation, inadequate implementation and shoddy trainers cashing in..

As it is, it has already become a joke qualification a la 2078...

monkey spanners
24-01-2010, 10:09 PM
You miss my main point

2079 via legislation was supposed to ring fence the trade to qualified personnel . It has nothing to do with insurance....

By doing so it would have protected those within from attack by outsiders and unqualifieds. If that had happened we could have increased the standard of engineers and by association the standing of the trade. This in turn would force up wages and conditions.

Those seeking the service of qualified engineers would -to a point- have to pay the rate.
Sadly it has already been compromised by poor legislation, inadequate implementation and shoddy trainers cashing in..

As it is, it has already become a joke qualification a la 2078...

I would say of 2079 that if i didn't struggle to pass it, which i didn't then it was too easy by far :eek:

I despair at the lost opertunity to improve our trade, makes me feel like packing it in :(

Jon

Mark II
25-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Men,

It's comforting to know that you are in the same situation as we are down under.. Most of the old school frigies i did my time under, decided on a career change the day ***** was phased out. This just happened to co-inside with the split revolution.. To compensate for the massive skills shotage the government introduced the "Cornflakes ticket"... Have a trade? become a Qualified frigie without going to Tech, without working under another tradesman & gain the same qualification as the real frigies in 6 short months.. We now have 4th Generation Cornflakes men watering our trade down to almost nothing..
One thing i have noticed.. You make a lot more money changing every part in the system, than you do just fixing it in 10 minutes..

JHdlinc
28-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Men,

One thing i have noticed.. You make a lot more money changing every part in the system, than you do just fixing it in 10 minutes..

So true.:rolleyes: