PDA

View Full Version : A little warning to use the "right" gauge on 410 heatpumps...

momo
21-01-2010, 11:11 PM
I am prompted by seeing the warnings of:
The OFN Pressures damages thread
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23030
And the thread about sight glasses on R410 gauges.
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23023
AND a recent alarming episode with an uncooperative heatpump.

Back ground: for heating: domestic heat pumps push the high pressure (compressor out) into the gas line which is where one attaches the LO gauge for vacumming out and initial testing... OK but the LO on some gauges only goes up to 15Bar because higher pressures are not expected.
So once a system is in action I use the HIGH side (right) gauge as a precaution...

But what if the uncooperative split has a faulty reversing valve or blockage and the indoor fan does NOT start to lower the head pressure because it does NOT feel warm enough :confused:,
The pressure keeps on going up and up and up.
I would expect the compressor safety valve to operate (but it does not exist in a cheapy chnk import :eek::eek:) or amperage overload (oh, but it is an 18000 BTU supplied by a 16A breaker and with the time factor...), the internal board does not have an overload detector either.
Well fortunately I just saved myself from an explosion as the gauge hit 40Bar and tried to go aroung again and the sight glass well - definitely not near me.:D looked about to pop: rapěd disconnection of compressor cables (boy did I use that screwdrivers fast on the cover and cables :cool: to avoid a worse circumstance).The owner was making a cuppa - which was much needed after this with extra sugar for the nerves!

So my little ones take note of the dangers of R410 and faulty units. And boy will the fun start with CO2.

monkey spanners
21-01-2010, 11:20 PM
I remember connecting gauges onto a reciever on and ice builder, opening the vavle only to see the needle go right round past zero and start going round again, system was off and had been seriously overcharged...

Does make you think afterwards how much more it would have taken before bursting :confused:

Brian_UK
21-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Certainly a prime example of the need to have a local isolator fitted.