PDA

View Full Version : R410A Service manifolds

El Padre
21-01-2010, 06:08 PM
I was going to buy some new gauges, without a sight glass, but was informed by my mate behind the counter that manufacturers have to include a sight glass by law, I was surprised as I am sure that ITE removed the sight glass on their 410A manifolds after the well documented incidents of them failing.

Just wondered if anyone can confirm this.

Cheers

ICE/RUNNER
21-01-2010, 06:17 PM
R410A service mainfolds dont have sight glasses, because they fail. Thats why R410a hose connection are different to stop you using normal gauges.You can get normal gauge manifolds with out sight glasses i cant remember where we get ours from though.

thebigcheese
21-01-2010, 07:19 PM
alot of yellow jacket manifolds come without sight glass

Brian_UK
21-01-2010, 11:39 PM
I was going to buy some new gauges, without a sight glass, but was informed by my mate behind the counter that manufacturers have to include a sight glass by law, I was surprised as I am sure that ITE removed the sight glass on their 410A manifolds after the well documented incidents of them failing.

Just wondered if anyone can confirm this.

Cheers
What a load of old b****x, just to sell some kit.

Ask him for the details of the Law concerned.

monkey spanners
22-01-2010, 12:26 AM
I think my yellow jacket R410A gauges have a sightglass.

Is it the glass that breaks or is it the threaded retainer that comes out when gauges fail?

VRVIII
22-01-2010, 01:46 AM
I think my yellow jacket R410A gauges have a sightglass.

Is it the glass that breaks or is it the threaded retainer that comes out when gauges fail?

Hi,

I've heard of a few cases, all of which the glass shattered (basically exploding) this resulted in one poor guy being hospitalized to have the glass splinters removed from his face (refco gauges).
These were all when using manifold gauges to pressure test systems, for 410a press/strength tests a pressure test rig should be used.

Magoo
22-01-2010, 02:17 AM
You and me Brian_UK. What aload of garbage. Safe working practises is paramount.

El Padre
22-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Could'nt agree more Brian, I have had a 410A manifold from when the refrigerant first came on the market, they have a sight glass, and I use a dedicated testing rig for pressure testing, I was convinced that the manufacturers were in fact going the other way. I did ask him what law that was reffering to and conveniantly he did'nt know!!

Cheers

lowcool
22-01-2010, 01:34 PM
never again.had to go to outpatients to have the glass removed from the legs.bit like a shotgun without the impact

Samwitch
22-01-2010, 04:26 PM
The ITE manifolds for R410A have no sight glass now, at least not listed in the current catalogue

page 50 if you have one to hand

VRVIII
22-01-2010, 05:25 PM
never again.had to go to outpatients to have the glass removed from the legs.bit like a shotgun without the impact

lowcool,
Sorry to hear that mate sounds, like a sore one :rolleyes:
Out of interest can I ask what make the manifold was :)