PDA

View Full Version : copeland scroll

jakehabing
20-01-2010, 07:35 PM
I have a new copeland compressor the I believe has just seized. It has been running for about 4 weeks. If pulls about 70 amps. the head pressure is 100 when off. when I apply power it jumps to 110 then stop. l Suction pressure does not change. What would cause it to go out so quickly?

andywill
20-01-2010, 08:24 PM
What is the compressor running?
Is it on a condensing unit or is it part of a pack system?
Has the system been in for while?
Is the compressor located higher than the the evapourator?
Does it have an oil seperator fitted?
What refrigerant is it on?
This would be a start so that we can build a picture of the system before attempting to fault find it.

Brian_UK
20-01-2010, 10:15 PM
I see that you are a student.

Is this a course question or a site situation?

serviceman
20-01-2010, 10:37 PM
In that application you have the compressor pump heat or air conditioning

jakehabing
21-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Brain_UK: It is an actual unit. I am a student getting my Masters of Research. A/c is a side I like to do. There is a lot to learn in a/c, and I love to learn.

andywill: The compressor is running a 5-ton gibson a/c unit.
It is a split system.
The system was newly installed 4 weeks ago. compressor is under warranty. but will it go out agian if I just replace it. I like to find the cause of the problem. It is part of learning.
The compressor is lower the the evaporator.
I would have to say that it does not have an oil separator because I don't know what one looks like and I did not install one.
The unit is running r-22.

Would an oil separator help?
Would an accumulator help?

Reason for asking is I read that small amounts of liquid running through a compressor will take the oil with it. And I was wonder if this could have been the case.
Also am I right in thinking that the compressor as seized or could it be something else.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Gary
21-01-2010, 01:18 AM
I have a new copeland compressor the I believe has just seized. It has been running for about 4 weeks.

Did it run properly for four weeks?

Gary
21-01-2010, 01:22 AM
Brain_UK: It is an actual unit. I am a student getting my Masters of Research. A/c is a side I like to do. There is a lot to learn in a/c, and I love to learn.

Start here:

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19701

JHdlinc
21-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Single Phase or Three Phase?

jakehabing
21-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Gary,
It seemed to run fine for the four weeks then one morning I check on the unit and the compressor was not running, it was warm. It had pulled so much power that it melted some insulation on a wire and blew a 30amp fuse. I checked the to see if the compressor had shorted to ground and it had not.

JHdlinc,

It is Single phase

goshen
22-01-2010, 10:43 AM
hi check your phase sequence this sounds like an electrical problem that turned mechanical ,a scroll could run reverse direction but not for long a phase sequence relay would prevent this
M