PDA

View Full Version : Squash mate

fridge doctor
20-01-2010, 07:21 PM
I began playing squash quite late in life when I was 25 years old. I couldn't motivate myself to run or go to the gym and I was putting on weight, but squash involves a commitment to a partner, and I hate letting people down, so I always turned up. Well I got hooked, and more to the point I realised that it was doing me some good. I felt better, had more stamina and it reflected in my work output.

After about a year of playing steadily, I reached the stage where I was able to play for a couple of hours each session (with a change of partner), and maybe 4/5 times a week. Aged 35/40 I felt fitter than I had ever been in my whole life and I realised the importance of what I was doing. Yes, there were so many times when I had a physically exhausting and generally **** day, and the last thing I felt like doing was running around a court for an hour shedding another five pounds of sweat. But coming back to that partner/commitment thing, you have to do it, and you know what, every time without exception I felt so much better after the game... well after the shower!

This year I will be 60. I have never stopped playing for the last 35 years, and I still play squash twice a week now. My main game partner these days is the coach at the local club. He is well experienced having been playing for the last 25 years plus he is also 15 years younger... He wins probably 70% of the time, but the games are always close and so I ask you hey, should I be complaining about not winning more?

The point of the story really is just to illustrate to some of you younger guys (under 25), that you do need to be fit to stay ahead of the (refrigeration) game and on course in our industry - at least in a hands on situation. For me management has no interest, I work alone, I climb ladders, scramble over rooftops and squeeze myself into all manner of impossible situations. 12 hour days in 40+ degrees of heat is normal for 6 months of the year. And trust me without that squash fitness I would have had to give up years ago as most of my peers already have.

When I started as an apprentice in the commercial refrigeration industry back in 1966, the enginner to whom I was 'attached' used to say to me. "There is no such thing as an old refrigeration engineer - they never make it" OK part of that was because in those days we used to be regularly breathing in *****, Methyl Chloride and sometimes Ammonia and the dreaded Sulphur Dioxide. H&SE hadn't been heard of, but we all kind of knew that what we were doing wasn't right, and almost certainly wasn't going to help us live longer! Perhaps that's another reason why I decided being fit was a good option - I hoped to counteract all that bad stuff, and go on to prove them wrong!

coolstuf
20-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Good read!
Was weight loss also a factor/important?

Silhouette
21-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Hi Fridge doctor,
I did a similar thing 25 years ago, but my sport is badminton!
I still play at least two club nights a week as well as league matches and I now play for the county over 40's team.:D

People tend to think badminton is a slow game but when played properly it is very fast and energetic, especially when playing doubles!

Good luck with the squash and I hope you enjoy many more years of your sport!

Mel.

cadwaladr
21-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Hi Fridge doctor,
I did a similar thing 25 years ago, but my sport is badminton!
I still play at least two club nights a week as well as league matches and I now play for the county over 40's team.:D

People tend to think badminton is a slow game but when played properly it is very fast and energetic, especially when playing doubles!

Good luck with the squash and I hope you enjoy many more years of your sport!

Mel.for me its basketball once a week,if i miss a game i get tense,play with a bunch of mates good team game,you have to have some release and
exercise this industry will eat you up spit you out.

fridge doctor
22-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Good to read some of you others are getting enjoyment out of still playing a sport. I have played a little badminton and totally agree that it requires very sharp reflexes and is quite demanding. Also I did a little basketball about 20 years ago, and yes that was pretty tough too, so good for you both.

Coolstuf,
Personally I hate seeing fat slobs, they are just so disgusting to look at. So yes, I definitely didn't want to go down that avenue, and also I remember one time I was on holiday when I worked for Total Refrigeration. I was in some neck of the woods far from home and happened to see one of our vans outside a newsagent. I couldn't resist stopping and introducing myself. When i got in teh shop, our guy was sat on the floor next to a Kelvinator, changing the compressor. I looked at him, he was a big bloke around the middle, and he was just dripping with sweat, I mean he was drenched and it wasn't like it was a particularly warm day. I didn't tell him who I was, I walked out and I couldn't help thinking to myself about him having to work every day suffering that kind of discomfort, which I considered to be definitely down to the condition of his grossly unfit body. That incident is still fresh in my mind after 30 years - it must have been important to me!

chemi-cool
22-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Gym, I was addicted to the place for many years. A steady group of friends, a place to unload all the the day's stress, lovely girls in tight outfit.....;)

Slowly the guys dropped and I bought a nice machine for home and spend almost every day some 20 - 30 minuets workout sweating.

No wonder we still look 30.......:)

Good for the soul and body.

spimps
24-01-2010, 12:47 AM
It's cycling for me,avid footy follower but in my 63rd year not wise to be playing.
Back is not brill so was advised by a physio to get warmed up and then do some stretches he showed me so got on the bike for 30 minutes.
Always liked the spectacle of cycling but got the bug big time 10 years ago and now cycle (weather permiting) up to 150miles a week. Can knock off 50 miles at an average of 16mph,keeps the weight down,stamina is good and air con and refrigeration work can be physically hard enough so the fitter you are the easier it is.
When I retire/slow down in a couple of years have an urge to cycle from the UK through France and Spain to Gibralta,should occupy me for a month!

Karl Hofmann
24-01-2010, 02:04 AM
Having had two discs out of my back last year, on in Feb one in December, I have taken to swimming. I go about three evenings a week and have progressed from 100m per night to 750m per night and having been a little porky, I have noticed things tightening up somewhat. I find myself having more energy in the day and sleeping better at night and the strength in my legs is returning from months of limited use.. (Last time I bumped into Sinewave, I was walking like Quasimodo and high as a kite on painkillers)

So coming from the ultimate couch potato... Swimming works for me, If you find that you want a rest, you are already lying down, just stop moving your arms and legs...