PDA

View Full Version : My fridge is not working

jannette92
18-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Sorry to hijack this post but couldn't work out how to start a new thread.
I have read loads of good stuff on here and thanks guys it was really helpful.
My problem is the fridge stopped getting cold - Hotpoint Iced diamond frost free. I took the advice on here and defrosted it but only waited 12hrs but it kicked off and hey presto got cold again. However it only lasted 2 days and started getting warm again. I decided to do as told on here and turned it off for 48hrs switched it back on and great it was working again. Problem is again after 2 days it has started to cool down again and looks like it is going again.
Any more ideas is the thermostat on its way out, is it worth getting an engineer out or is it ready for the skip.

cadwaladr
18-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Sorry to hijack this post but couldn't work out how to start a new thread.
I have read loads of good stuff on here and thanks guys it was really helpful.
My problem is the fridge stopped getting cold - Hotpoint Iced diamond frost free. I took the advice on here and defrosted it but only waited 12hrs but it kicked off and hey presto got cold again. However it only lasted 2 days and started getting warm again. I decided to do as told on here and turned it off for 48hrs switched it back on and great it was working again. Problem is again after 2 days it has started to cool down again and looks like it is going again.
Any more ideas is the thermostat on its way out, is it worth getting an engineer out or is it ready for the skip.its a defrost problem,with the replacement cost being in real terms cheap repairing could outway that cost.

fridge doctor
19-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Definitely a defrost problem, 95% certain to be the timer.

Repair or replacement? It depends on age and condition of the cabinet, also whether you might have a problem getting the same size FF to fit a particular space?

Try calling one or two local repairers. Tell them that you are quite sure you need a new defrost timer, give them the details of the cabinet, and ask them for a quote (based on timer replacement). This should help you to decide.

lowcool
20-01-2010, 03:51 AM
either way its worth repairing,could be timer,defrost termination stat,over temp safety stat,defrost heater or a broken wire.get someone half reputable who carries stock in their vehicle but i doubt they would have a heater on board.
good luck

jannette92
21-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Thanks for your posts I will contact a local engineer with your advice

fridge doctor
21-01-2010, 08:48 PM
OK good luck

Chelsea
21-01-2010, 10:18 PM
It sounds like deffrost problem,after you run it for 2 days,check back wall if you see ice build up,that your verification of deffrost issue,next find deff timer,should be in the bottom ofm unit by kickplate,use small flat screwdriver tu turn the dial on timer,til you hear a click,it is now in deffrost lesson for sounds of water dripps hitting a hot heater.if you hear it ,replace timer if not it could be bimetal deffrost termostat or heater.I hope this was helpful.