PDA

View Full Version : dakin repairs

shawy1
18-01-2010, 08:18 PM
hi can anybody help I am working on a dakin split and the fault code is E 0 which I know means outdoor activation of outdoor saftey device what does this mean what should I be looking at

many thanks

matt shaw

marc5180
18-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Unit is tripping on High pressure switch or Low pressure switch.

Connect your gauges to find out which and go from there.

han81
18-01-2010, 08:46 PM
As Marc said HP or LP. condenser fans ok, condenser coil blocked, refrigerant leak. These would be most common but could be other reasons

VRVIII
18-01-2010, 09:12 PM
hi can anybody help I am working on a dakin split and the fault code is E 0 which I know means outdoor activation of outdoor saftey device what does this mean what should I be looking at

many thanks

matt shaw

Hi,

What’s the unit model number? The safety devices that can cause an E0 error depends on the unit.

LP will not cause an E0 error.

Possible causes:
1/ Compressor contactor overload
2/ Condenser fan motor klixon
3/ Instantaneous power failure
4/ abnormally high discharge temp
5/ Activation of compressor internal safety (RY71/100)
6/ Loose pcb plug connection.
7/ Faulty outdoor pcb.

frank
18-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Got to disagree guys.

On the older units, Lp & Hp trips generate their own fault codes.

E0 error codes are generated when the protection devices for the compressor or condenser fan(s) activate (thermistors etc embedded in the windings)

When you look at the outdoor unit, follow the electrical path of the wiring on the GREY wires coming from the outdoor PCB

shawy1
19-01-2010, 06:00 PM
thanks lads im going to the job 2moz so i will let you know i have got a lot to look at then.

shawy1
19-01-2010, 08:28 PM
if I follow the grey wires then what how do I rectifie the problem if the thermisters are holding the compressor or evap fan how do I reset them etc

frank
19-01-2010, 08:31 PM
If you can measure 240v going out on one grey wire and coming back on the other then you have continuity through the compressor or fan motor, which ever the case may be. If you measure 240v on one grey wire but not coming back on the other then the motor protection has gone open circuit.

How experienced are you in electrical testing?

marc5180
22-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Hate to disagree guys but i've been called out to a Daikin split tripping on "E0" "safety devices activated" 2001 model on R22

Tracing through the wiring diagram the safety devices connected are
1) High pressure switch
2)Thermo switch for condensor fans
3)over current relay for comp.

Connected my gauges and found the LP at 0 Bar so the unit was tripping on compressor overcurrent

So an LP fault must be able to cause a safety device activation.

VRVIII
22-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Hi,

What’s the unit model number? The safety devices that can cause an E0 error depends on the unit.

LP will not cause an E0 error.

Possible causes:
1/ Compressor contactor overload
2/ Condenser fan motor klixon
3/ Instantaneous power failure
4/ abnormally high discharge temp
5/ Activation of compressor internal safety (RY71/100)
6/ Loose pcb plug connection.
7/ Faulty outdoor pcb.

Hate to disagree guys but i've been called out to a Daikin split tripping on "E0" "safety devices activated" 2001 model on R22
I take it you’re referring to a R(Y)71~125FJ unit.

Tracing through the wiring diagram the safety devices connected are
1) High pressure switch – Yes the HP switch is wired in series with other safeties but if you look closely at the wiring diagram you will see that the HP is the last device and is the only one connected to safety device input 2. This allows the unit to detect an E0 or E3 error. HP trip will not display an E0 error
IE.
Comp o/c or fan klixon trip – power is lost to safety device input 1&2 = E0 error
HP trip – power is lost safety device input 2 only = E3 error

2)Thermo switch for condensor fans – This will display an E0 as per above & previous post

3)over current relay for comp
Connected my gauges and found the LP at 0 Bar so the unit was tripping on compressor overcurrent.
This is the compressor contactor overload which will only trip when compressor draws excessive current (amps) and has nothing to do with an LP trip.

So an LP fault must be able to cause a safety device activation.
If you have a shortage of refrigerant the compressor and discharge temps will obviously increase resulting in abnormally high discharge temp which can cause E0 error as per my previous post.
This would be the reason your unit tripped on E0, but i suspect if you had checked the fault history you would also have found previous F3 or E4 errors ;).