PDA

View Full Version : heat exchange unit won't stop

prg281
16-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Hello,
I've got a HEIL HHP060 heat exchange unit outside that won't stop. The air blower inside follows the thermostat's command but it looks like the compressor keeps running; I've waited for more than 2hours and it just keeps running.
It sounds like a contactor is stuck but based on the electrival diagram posted in the unit the contactor is whithin a capacitor. Is this possible and if so how can I test the capacitor to find out if it went bad? My ohmeter shows that all three connections of the capacitor are connected which I didn't expect if a contactor is embedded.
I'v swaped out the thermostat just in case but that didn't help.
Any suggestion? Am I focusing on a wrong issue?

Yuri B.
16-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Clearly - welded contact in the relay.
Relay is inside of the indoor unit.

prg281
16-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks Yuri.
Is there a voltmeter / ohmmeter test i could perform to confirm the failure?

monkey spanners
16-01-2010, 07:45 PM
If the relay is on but has no power feed from the thermostat to the coil then its stuck in, the relay is not in the capacitor.
Your outdoor unit could have a short on it if the relay is off and its still running, (maybe fan running but not at full speed?)
Best to turn it off at the disconnect and get a tech to look at it.

Yuri B.
16-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Is there a voltmeter / ohmmeter test i could perform to confirm the failure?
Supply input's resistance of any unit like this is hundreds/thousands ohms, now there should be only few ohms. Find the relay and check if this version is true.

If yes,you may try to knock , carefully, at the relay, but better change it, and find out what had caused the too high current that had made the relay's contact stuck.

prg281
18-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Replacing the relay fixed it!

Thanks again Yuri.

Regards,