PDA

View Full Version : check out these guys !!

rbartlett
13-01-2005, 06:00 PM
The future...??

http://air-conditioning-forum.global-cooling.co.uk/index.php?sid=a953fdab9593240b0995dddccfbc957b

cheers

richard

Coolie
13-01-2005, 06:28 PM
This was just one post

If like me you wondered how you are going to bend the thick pipe on the Millenniumair self install 12000 btu then maybe this tip will help?!

When performing a 90 degree bend do not grab the pipe with both hands too close as this will definately result in a " kink" instead sweep the bend I personally bent it round a rolling pin which helped stop this problem.
This is just one post!!

Also when I had finished I realised that I had 2m of pipe left, so I rang up Global Cool and asked if I could hire the Vac pump with the stuff in to shorten my lines, they said yes as I had ordered a system, even after 2 months!! It does make hiding the pipes easier and is simple to do! plus I found that I had not tightened the bigger pipe up with the vac pump, this probably saved me money anyhow. I recommend get it! Its only 50 quid after you return it. From James , a happy cool as a cucumber customer!

FreezerGeezer
13-01-2005, 06:48 PM
F*****g P****s! I don't have too much of an issue with them selling DIY gear, but the advice they're giving! No need to Vac??? What about a pressure test??!!! At least I see Richard's posted to tell them about Part P. (Good one Rich. Way to go mate. :D ). And no doubt these undereducated guys are going to start doing installs for their mates, 'cos it's easy, pal. Don't pay Trane / Fridgetech / Carrier / York all that money. I'll chuck it in over the weekend, dude. Just get your wife to bake that great apple pie for me, and I'm there!'!!!! :eek: :eek:
Maybe we need to post there to explain to these DIY-ers WHY we're worth the money we charge. Think I'll do that soon. GOOD GOD, What's the world coming to??? :mad:

chemi-cool
13-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Well, well, well.

What happened to all of these regulations and the laws?

Even in my country where every body is an "engineer", nobody install their own AC. They might hang the inside unit on the wall and make the hole but this is as far as DIY people will go.
The pipe work and electric connections will be carried by a pro.

Maybe the European community should check the regulations again or, on the other hand, add a few more to stop selling air - conditioners in DIY centres.

And Coolie, don't be proud of what you are doing. :rolleyes:

The only way to make a proper bend is to use a copper pipe bender or a spring bender.

Chemi :)

rbartlett
13-01-2005, 07:13 PM
well I have been a 'member' for less than an hour and I'M BANNED !!!!!!!

come on guy's get registering and post some replies

cheers

richard

eggs
13-01-2005, 07:36 PM
I lost a job to these about 12 mths ago.
They sold and installed a daikin inverter 6kw wallmount in a domestic conservatory cheaper than i could install an LG system.
Their pricing structure goes like this:
List price for the kit + £300 = price of install.

cheers

eggs

eggs
13-01-2005, 07:53 PM
In all fairness to the guys (with regard to electrical), they do only sell self-install kit upto 3.5kw, which as we all know you can just plug in anyway.
I remember coming across this site about 18mth ago, when on the site, there was a powerpoint presentation showing you how to purge the lines using "Pressure Pops", whatever they are.
Apparently we don't need vac pumps anymore, all we have to do is, from memory.
"open the small valve a 1/4 of a turn, making sure to leave your thumb over the end of the big pipe"
then!!!
"release thumb and give 3 PRESSURE POPS"
"close small valve etc etc etc........"

At the end of the day thes people are not that different to the chancers on e-bay selling splits for £150 a go, complete with 5 year warranty.(i'd love to be a fly on the wall watching sombody trying to contact them with a claim).

cheers

eggs

Abe
13-01-2005, 08:09 PM
You know just today Ive been thinking........
In the past as you may recall I tend to bitch about how the good ole days are gone..............thx to those guys who bleated about ozone and global warming and all that.

Well..............Ive had a change of heart !!
Now I says............wonderful.

Why??
Cos now we can go the route of our gas fitting couzins.........The Corgis.........Our bretherin Sparkies, The Part P Brigaders...........
Yes siree...............We now get licensed and certificated so only " us" can work on fridge plant and air con thingies

To let anyone else would harm the environment.

Are we going to get off our butts.........holler, organise, group, lobby our legislaters and get ptrotection soon ???

Its not an airy fairy idea............

Abe
13-01-2005, 08:13 PM
And Eggs.............whats that " snoop" thing u got on ??
Telling me my ISP and service provider on and version of underpants Im wearing??

chemi-cool
13-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Hi Abe.

That is where Eggs got his signature from, get a new one too:

http://www.danasoft.com/

I got a "thing" that tells me where "things" come from :D

Peter_1
13-01-2005, 09:37 PM
Something besides, Chemi posted a picture of a tube bender.
Does someone know the meaning of the different stripes on the handle? I only use the last to bend the tube in the needed centerline.

eggs
13-01-2005, 10:24 PM
aiyub, if i can find software to do that, imagine what "big brother" knows, about the contents of your 'puter.
hells teeth, it doesn,t bear thinking about.

On a more serious note, i have the "part p" thing covered, as my dad is a part p, 16th edition type thingy and the corgi business, well i figured if i could install a system to withstand pressures of 45bar, i can install my own gas fire at 1/4 of a bar and sleep easily at night.(ps. i did get it checked by a mate, who is a corgi fitter, so the wife could sleep at night.)

But, what i'm getting at is, our trades governing bodies, for the future.
I thought my best route to being a "bona fida" contractor is the HVCA route (my background is more ventilation than fridge, if you hadn't guessed) with "free" Refcom membership.

What are the plans for you lot?

cheers

eggs.

Abe
13-01-2005, 10:38 PM
Eggs

I just got my copy of Heating and Ventilation this morning........Theres pages of stuff about Part P............its being taken real, real seriously.............

Now kitchen fitters, plumbers, all are being advised..........dont hook up things, dont add on sockets, everything must be checked and passed.........Buildings Control must be advised of every new piece of work carried out...........Put in a new hob, Buildings control must be told and the job logged..........

Talking about welding a pipe..........Some time back.....( I wont say how long ago) I added some gas pipes.........welded copper pipe 15mm with silver solder, or was it coopertectic............refrigeration quality.

When the British Gas guy came to do a boiler check he looked at the pipes and shook his head.............You see it was alien to him...........he is used to seeing a bead of lead round his copper..........

If only he knew that my weld could tolerate a pressure approching 600 Psi......

As I say...........its no use bleating that qualifications or certifications do not compare against experience..........These days you need the piece of paper.........

You can be duff as ****, but you got the paper you rule........and you can charge the rate.

My motto is...............We too can become exclusive.........we have got something to protect...........Yes, its the bloody environment.

So we become licensed.............get our Part P's..........I heard its not that difficult to obtain..............

And if you really want to stretch your brains...........Who says we cannot do gas work as well ?????

Yes...........We will become flaming corgies as well

Woof woof#

eggs
13-01-2005, 10:40 PM
Freezer geezer. (I AM NOT BEING PEDANTIC) seriously

if somebody were to ask you "Why are you worth the money you charge"?
What would be your explination?

The reason i ask is because, i had the Foster Refrigerator guy to see me a few weeks ago, and i asked him.

"When my clients say to me. Why should i pay foster prices, when i can get the same from X,Y,Z and A for 30% less"?

he couldn't give me an answer, except for "come along to one of our sales conferences and find out".

I am just curious as to what we are worth, and why?

cheers

eggs

eggs
13-01-2005, 10:54 PM
Aiyub, perhaps we should share research, i have found an interweb thing, type p whatsit for £2500 fast track 2 week course.
The corgi thing is a closed shop though, even for some genuine "grandfather rights" gas fitters. i really have drawn a blank on that one.

Can your company apply for corgi registation, if you employ a corgi qualified gas fitter?

cheers

eggs

Brian_UK
13-01-2005, 11:21 PM
...Can your company apply for corgi registation, if you employ a corgi qualified gas fitter?
That's the only way a company can get registration.

eggs
13-01-2005, 11:44 PM
Brian, is it really as easy as that?

I talk my mate into leaving his 18k a year job as a bakery maintenance fella (job, stands for Just Over Broke)

Give him 19k per year, then stick corgi badges on my letterhed?

surely it's not as simple as that, otherwise everybody would have done it by now.

cheers

eggs

ps, if it is that easy, does anybody want to buy shares in a corgi registered gas fitter and a part p sparky?
you could easily sell me 0.000000000001% of your companies and i will provide you with an executive member of your board of directors, qualified to part p and corgi standards.

any takers

cheers

eggs

RogGoetsch
14-01-2005, 12:11 AM
I just got my copy of Heating and Ventilation this morning........Theres pages of stuff about Part P............its being taken real, real seriously.............

Now kitchen fitters, plumbers, all are being advised..........dont hook up things, dont add on sockets, everything must be checked and passed.........Buildings Control must be advised of every new piece of work carried out...........Put in a new hob, Buildings control must be told and the job logged..........
You might enjoy a good movie by some of the Monty Python gang: Brazil. Only government employees can touch the HVAC systems. Robert DeNiro plays a rogue heating engineer who intercepts government calls and responds earlier, does the repair and escapes, by zipline if necessary, with the government guys hot on his trail. You would probably really enjoy his revenge!

By the way, Abe, does your period key always fail first on your keyboard??

Rog

Brian_UK
14-01-2005, 12:13 AM
Brian, is it really as easy as that?Well it used to be and I don't think it has changed.

There is no way that you can register a company, you have to have a competent person who holds a Corgi ticket. When the Corgi inspector comes around he is not concerned that the company used XYZ accounting software or has a set of gold plated pressure gauges. What he wants is to check the certificates of the alleged Corgi registered people to ensure that they are in date and will then, probably, visit a site with one of the guys while he performs a service visit.

If he is satisfied that the fellow can do the work in accordance with the regs. then he will approve the company registration renewal.

Thinking of the sparkies; when their company gets NIEC (? is that right ?) approval isn't it the competence etc of the sparkie not whether the MD wears a tie or not. :cool:

FreezerGeezer
14-01-2005, 10:03 AM
Hi Eggs

Well, bear in mind that I'm talking about the likes of us, and fellow engineers who would be here if they knew this forum existed, as opposed to the chancers we all know. ;)
Now, to me the reason we're worth the extra is that;
We have spent years training to be knowlegible about what we're doing. Hopefully we wouldn't install a 10KW machine when a 4 KW or a 13KW would be better.
We are all highly skilled. That's not to say that many DIY-ers aren't skilled, but we should know what we're doing better than them. Brazing & Pipe fitting for e.g.
We know the law! What really causes me concern with Global is that they aren't educating their clients about the law, and none of the posts so far seem to give a stuff about venting to atmosphere. And that includes the site owner! :mad:
I presume most of us have ACRIB safe handling cards, many of us have 16th. ed & maybe Part P, and some of us have Corgi as well. Some of us are probably Chartered Engineers or members of ASHRAE. That's a big investment in time and often in money too. This ties in with all three of the above points.
Global are offering a vac pump to hire as an EXTRA. Now I'm not a split installer (Commercial Fridge & now commercial A/C), but I would NEVER countenance installing pipework without pressure testing & vacc'ing out. To me, no vac = air in system = one major headache! Maybe Global are betting that they'll pick up repair work because the DIY-ers don't know any better.
Until recently, I was responsible for all the warranty claims from this office. I would NEVER happily accept a warranty claim from anyone that I felt was incompetent. In fact, our warranty T&C expressly says that if the equipment is not installed & maintained according to the correct guidelines, the warranty may be invalid. Of course, if it's a faulty part or genuine machine failure, that's fine. Otherwise you're more or less on your own. Sorry.
I'd expect that these DIY-ers would expect the same levels of service / warranty as they get on the high street. We've all returned goods to GAP, Blacks, Dixons, or wherever, to have them replaced or refunded without question or even a murmer. Industrial stuff is different, however. You need to prove that there is genuinely something wrong with the equipment, not blag the sales guy after you misused and abused it! The DIY-ers may well be in for a BIG shock if / when they have warranty or repair issues.

If I think of some more reasons, I'll post them! :D

Argus
14-01-2005, 01:26 PM
The future...??

http://air-conditioning-forum.global-cooling.co.uk/index.php?sid=a953fdab9593240b0995dddccfbc957b

cheers

richard

Fascinating.
________
Honda Valkyrie (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Valkyrie)

Karl Hofmann
14-01-2005, 05:15 PM
The glass is eiter half empty or half full, I see it filling up.

All of those grotesque units made by the xzagdungding air conditioning and oil tanker company with their excess pipework, or pipes filled with none condensables are a service/ repair/ replacement job just waiting to happen, the added bonus is that you can take the mick out of the installation, knowing that it is getting right back to the guy who put it in.

My experience is that once the customer has had a/c in his home, he will never want to be without it, so it will be important that his second experience is better than his first with his DIY kit. We should be providing a service, assuring the customer that if anything should go wrong, we are there to sort his problems, and give him peace of mind, there will always be the fool who will want to save a few hundred quid by buying cheap and DIYing, but who does he turn to when he makes a pigs ear of the job? :eek:

They did it with gas years ago, they have just done it with electrics, I'm sure that the refrigeration and air conditioning industry will follow

eggs
14-01-2005, 06:27 PM
[QUOTE=Karl Hofmann]
All of those grotesque units made by the xzagdungding air conditioning and oil tanker company with their excess pipework, or pipes filled with none condensables are a service/ repair/ replacement job just waiting to happen, the added bonus is that you can take the mick out of the installation, knowing that it is getting right back to the guy who put it in.

I don't know if you remember a company in Bradford trying to sell franchises to split installers?
Anyway one of the unlucky chaps who bought one, i bump into him sometimes in the wholesalers.
He is already counting the cost of replacing dodgy Haier and Bluecrown systems, with Mitsubishi Heavy Ind stuff.
He says it's just not worth trying to fix crap and that he has learned his lesson.

I remember an article in a magazine said of these chinese systems.
" it's like buying a car from dealer with a brick built building or buying a car from a dealer in a portacabin. which one will be there when you want your repairs done under warranty"

Craft, Emerson, Argo, where are they now?

cheers

eggs

smileypete
14-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Hi,

What would be a ballpark figure for a local a/c engineer to make the flare joints, connect up, pressure test and vac down a split air conditioner?

TIA,
Pete.

Karl Hofmann
14-01-2005, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE=Karl Hofmann]

I don't know if you remember a company in Bradford trying to sell franchises to split installers?
Anyway one of the unlucky chaps who bought one, i bump into him sometimes in the wholesalers.
He is already counting the cost of replacing dodgy Haier and Bluecrown systems, with Mitsubishi Heavy Ind stuff.
He says it's just not worth trying to fix crap and that he has learned his lesson.

I remember an article in a magazine said of these chinese systems.
" it's like buying a car from dealer with a brick built building or buying a car from a dealer in a portacabin. which one will be there when you want your repairs done under warranty"

Craft, Emerson, Argo, where are they now?

cheers

eggs

A guy local to me used to run round with Craft all over his van, but only for a few months. Funny, but these things were made in Saudi, and from what I could remember even the Saudis wouldn't touch 'em.

I'm also starting to have a few reservations about LG, at first I really thought that it was me, but It seems that quite a few folk are having problems too, (OK Abe warned us ages ago) It would be a fair conclusion that Quality is cheaper in the long run, even for lighter duty domestic stuff.

I guess that a fair comparison would be to compare Kia to Toyota, they both have a 3 year warranty, but one brand will need it more than the other.

Unbranded stuff...No Thanks

Karl Hofmann
17-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Constructive criticism is appreciated, please only comment on the Millenniumair if you have purchased or installed the systems. The forum is not a message board for HVAC engineers who are posting their opinions even though they have no knowledge of the product. Your IP address's will be frozen and posts deleted.

RICHARD!!

Have you been upsetting Mr Millenium again?.....Shame on you :D

rbartlett
17-01-2005, 01:42 PM
I do my best..

They froze my account and deleted the Part p post because they are afraid of scaring home owners from installing their cheapies..

It's a pity but regulation is the only way forward for our industry as the sooner the better...

cheers

Richard

Karl Hofmann
17-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Can't agree more.

Corgi have just confirmed in writing to me that as from April 1, I must inform CORGI of any gas installations that I do, they will inform the authorities and issue a safety certificate, they will also inspect my work at random to check my standard of work. They will also run a limited part P scheme for gas installers too. The value of Tradesmen has been pushed down by unlimited DIY'ers over the years, subsiquently so has the standard of the service provided. The public have squeezed the good tradesmen down to the lowest level, with their cheapest price, and "Ha! he's only a spanner monkey" attitude.

I wonder just how long it will be before one of his customers decides to extend his pipework with a bit of 8 or 10mm central heating pipe and soft solder from B&Q :eek:

Think that I'll ask him about part P later. :rolleyes:

Coolie
17-01-2005, 08:01 PM
And Coolie, don't be proud of what you are doing. :rolleyes:

The only way to make a proper bend is to use a copper pipe bender or a spring bender.Chemi :)

I think you misunderstood. That was only a copy of one of the posts from that dodgy hole.

I have a hydraulic pipe bender that makes life quite simple when it comes to pipe work.

I aint no Diyer come cowboy!!
Thanx for the concern though

chemi-cool
17-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Sorry mate.

I must have misunderstood you but so as most of the people who answered you.

What make of hydraulic bender do you use?

Coolie
17-01-2005, 09:07 PM
It is an I.T.E. I've had it for quite a while and it is brilliant. Bends pipe from 1/4" right up to 7/8". I hardly ever use springs, unless its a tight spot and the spring is the only thing that will work.
The hydrualic bender gives consistant bends so pipework is always very neat.

A little tip when working with 1/4" pipe:
When installing long straight runs, unroll a coil to about a half meter longer than the length you need, then tie one side to a fixed object, then insert the other end into the chuck of a corldess drill. Then, very slowly, spin the length of copper while pulling it towards you. This will make the soft copper become stiff, as if it were hard drawn. Then simply cut a half a meter off either end(to get rid of any dirt that may have entered the tube). This looks really good, especially if the pipework is on the side of a building or in open view!
I have done it for years and never had any further problems with regards to the operation of the system.

chemi-cool
17-01-2005, 09:20 PM
It sounds like a good idea Coolie.

I might give it a try one day.

Thanks.

Peter_1
17-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Hey Coolie, speaking of a good tip.

Abe
17-01-2005, 11:38 PM
I think you misunderstood. That was only a copy of one of the posts from that dodgy hole.

Coolie

I didnt misunderstand, but I had a chuckle knowing Chem did !!!!!

It made my day!!!! :D

smileypete
19-01-2005, 10:32 PM
£120.00

Ordinarily, the salesman's travel, travel and survey time, load calc, system type and size selection time and finally his/her marketing budget have to be included in the quote. Then the contract includes supply and installation before warranty. All this costs more than the mere cost of the system, especially when it's a single 3.5kW wall mount.

Personally, I view the installation of say a 3.5kW wall mounted mini-split similar to the hanging of an expensive painting. The nail and string don't cost more than 20 pence but the installation, done by a pro handyman, might cost £80.00 for time and travel before materials. Maybe a little more if handymen require liability insurance.
Marc,

Thanks very much for the reply, the sizing shouldn't be too much of a problem as I'd look for an inverter type split.

The reason I would like to do some of the install is that I may move in a few years and won't lose so much by disconnecting the unit and selling it or taking it with me.

Like the look of these, they have a very wide range of output. Wonder when (and if!) they'll be available in the UK...

http://www.excite.co.jp/world/english/web/?wb_url=http://www.daiseikai.com/lineup/index_j.htm&wb_lp=JAEN

Catalogue (big, 21MB!):

http://www.daiseikai.com/download/image/aircon_cata.pdf

Failing that it would be a Daikin I'd expect.

Thanks again,
Pete.

Mr. Millennium
10-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Mr. Millennium, has a ring to it don't you think??

I have read your posts with interest and feel a bit hurt by the reference to the " dodgy hole " web site :)

We also welcome the legislation for A/C engineers.

Sorry to the gentleman who lost a job to us, if our prices are list I am shocked at what you get charged!! :eek:

I look forward to your constructive critiscm on our site :D

rbartlett
10-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Mr. Millennium, has a ring to it don't you think??

I have read your posts with interest and feel a bit hurt by the reference to the " dodgy hole " web site :)

We also welcome the legislation for A/C engineers.

Sorry to the gentleman who lost a job to us, if our prices are list I am shocked at what you get charged!! :eek:

Of course you do..which is why you suspended my account and deleted the part P thread

cheers

richard

Mr. Millennium
10-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Your post was suspended as it was not constructive or any relevant advice.

Cheers

Mr. Millennium ;)

rbartlett
10-02-2005, 07:37 PM
PART P IS NOT RELEVENT TO HOME INSTALLERS!!

you heard it here first....

cheers

richard

Mr. Millennium
10-02-2005, 07:40 PM
PART P IS NOT RELEVENT TO HOME INSTALLERS!!

you heard it here first....

cheers

richard

I will quote your post . I have been offered these units for £ with my brand name, I wouldn't touch them at all.

Where is the Part P reference?????

This could go on and on.....

Good fun though!

Abe
10-02-2005, 09:14 PM
It's a pity but regulation is the only way forward for our industry as the sooner the better...

cheers

Richard

Lets get the ball rolling.................we need registration............and I mean FAST
Let us start brainstorming so we can get something rolling

rbartlett
10-02-2005, 09:26 PM
I do my best..

They froze my account and deleted the Part p post because they are afraid of scaring home owners from installing their cheapies..

cheers

Richard

cheers

richard

Coolie
10-02-2005, 10:53 PM
Just posted loads of replies to some of these people queires. go check it out

FreezerGeezer
11-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Go Coolie! (I wonder how long your posts will last before they're deleted?)

Karl Hofmann
11-02-2005, 10:32 AM
LOL Coolie "You are the weakest link...Goodbye"

9.30 am on the 11th of Feb and your posts have started to disappear, and you have just been demoted to a Guest.

LOL so have I. All I wanted to know was where coolies posts had gone. Some people are just no sport

chemi-cool
11-02-2005, 02:20 PM
Hi Karl,

Just click on the user name Coolie, scroll down and click on "Find all posts by Coolie" and you can read them all.

Coolie
11-02-2005, 06:32 PM
Have a look to see how this idiot is manipulating peoples posts to suit himself
http://air-conditioning-forum.global-cooling.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5

He added the "However I am not qualified" bit on the end!

The guys is a w@nker and a whimp.

Coolie
11-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Hi Karl,

Just click on the user name Coolie, scroll down and click on "Find all posts by Coolie" and you can read them all.

Coolie has been removed from the memberslist, look out for n00kie though. Thats me too!

Karl Hofmann
11-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Perhaps we could run a sweepstake on how long it takes Slimon to delete your posts :D

Is it just me, or is it that his cheap junk nicky no name units are not particularly cheap. And his installation prices aren't all that cheap either. A back to back install with no electrical work for £350-£400 inclusive of VAT equates to a decent income for a qualified tradesman working on his own.

chemi-cool
11-02-2005, 07:22 PM
The site is a complete waste of time,

I've read it all and it is very shallow and it looks like the same person is asking and answering the questions. ;)

Pubs are open soon, go have a pint and forget about that place.

Karl Hofmann
11-02-2005, 07:42 PM
Sounds like the best idea that I've heard all day. I think that I'll do likewise. Have a good evening :D

Abe
11-02-2005, 07:47 PM
No sireee.........

We need to protect our livelyhooods
Coolie, come out with some ideas where we can maintain pressure

Karl Hofmann
11-02-2005, 08:11 PM
In the main, I would suggest that Slimons "forum" is not visited very much, and has very few posters other than himself, his wife and his dog, and although the man is irritating in the way that he has twisted and edited posts from engineers to show us in a bad light (The post by the engineer who spells even worse than I do) I believe that his general tone is pretty transparrent even to joe public.

Still I guess that we could have some fun with him :rolleyes:

Coolie
11-02-2005, 08:59 PM
No sireee.........

We need to protect our livelyhooods
Coolie, come out with some ideas where we can maintain pressure

Does anybody know any Hackers? We could hack his site and change all his access priveleges and post all the right things!

Then delete all his futile messages!

Coolie
11-02-2005, 09:01 PM
Just dont give up pestering him. And let him know who it is so he gets the bl00dy message.
I'd love to meet this cowboy and tell him how it is!!

rbartlett
11-02-2005, 09:14 PM
Simon Savin
Global Cooling

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:08 am Post subject: Electrical work

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The electrical work is included if the supply is 13 ampere, either a fuse box or 3 pin socket. If a 15 ampere or 20 ampere supply is required an electrician is required to provide a suitable mains feed for the air conditioner. VAT is excluded. Included would be installation materials, wall brackets for condensing unit, full commission and testing process.

Part P part P part P
part P part P part Peee...eee
Part P part Part P pa..aart P
Pa..art Pee Pa..ar..t Pee..

cheers

richard

rbartlett
11-02-2005, 09:37 PM
does anyone know any other good jokes??

cheers

richard

Coolie
11-02-2005, 09:56 PM
After viewing the posts here we have decided to pass a copy of all the posts and IP addresses to our solicitors for further action.

I think somebody is getting jealous.

Just because you cant run a decent website/business, dont get upset and bring your worthless comments here.
Oh and dont make empty threats about getting your solicitors involved. Have you not heard of a wonderfull new thing, it's called freedom of speech.
At least we dont modify or delete posts, willy nilly.

You need to realise that to people like us, you are no threat at all. In fact, people like you create work for people like us. We have to run after you cleaning up the mess you created/initialised!

Coolie
11-02-2005, 09:58 PM
does anyone know any other good jokes??

cheers

richard

What do you get when you cross a cowboy with an air conditioner?

Global Cooling :)

chillin out
11-02-2005, 10:01 PM
hey Mr. Millennium

After viewing the posts here we have decided to pass a copy of all the posts and IP addresses to our solicitors for further action.
does that mean we pi55ed you off or are you going to take notice of the law and part p regulations.

Laws are there for a reason even if we don`t like or agree with them.

(THANKS COOLIE , WERE YOU GETTING FED UP WITH ALL MY MISTACKES) :)

Coolie
11-02-2005, 10:13 PM
No problem mate, just thought I'd give a fellow (qualified) engineer a hand!

Coolie
11-02-2005, 10:24 PM

So why do you keep deleting them?

Coolie
11-02-2005, 10:27 PM
Coolie has been removed from the memberslist, look out for n00kie though. Thats me too!
Oh no, n00kie has been executed too!

frank
11-02-2005, 10:45 PM
. I am a retired engineer, I

Hi guys - just catching up with this but how come a retired engineer is just buying his first system? :confused:

Mark
11-02-2005, 10:56 PM
hes been saving his money frank :D :D

frank
11-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Thought so :D

Karl Hofmann
11-02-2005, 11:59 PM
Mr Millenium,

Is your solicitor one of those geezers who is also singing your praises on your one man forum?

To use a seemingly open forum to peddle your wares is cynical and dishonest. To alter a post to suit your own ends, is downright disgusting. If you want to host a forum, well that is your business but take the good with the bad, as long as the language is civil.

Feel free to send my IP adress and posts to whoever you like, I shall continue to laugh at you and your stock of overpriced junk. :p

Coolie
12-02-2005, 09:52 AM
You go Karl!!! I am sure there are many more Engineers who feel the same way!

chemi-cool
12-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Man has made the rules to be protected from those who have their own way in a different direction.

As electricity and gases under high pressure involved, authorities should impose the law and clear the streets from these people whom are risking lives only for money.

Its not about taking mine or anybody Else's job, actually, I get more work by repairing bad and dangerous installing made by untrained people.

It is definitely our job to worn the public about bad trade methods and unprofessional installing of air conditioners.

From the same reason you can not do the MOT at home, or any other job which require a licence.

Even on "Big strong boy's", I don't like the way they explain to you how to redo your electricity in your home.

Even in my country, preforming of electrical work without a valid licence is a criminal offence. Air condition and refrigeration is under these authorities!

solicitors??? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Abe
12-02-2005, 04:13 PM
RAC is on soon. The Dept of Environment will be represented. A good opportunity now to begin the process of registration.

Registration for us guys is now top of our list so only people who are "able" can become registered.

ie: We have the necessary refrigerant handling certificates

We gain exemption for electrical work for our side of the job. This can be obtained once we speak with the relevant bodies.

Karl Hofmann
13-02-2005, 10:23 PM
It's not so much that I object to these geezers selling their wares, but it is the encouraging folk to DIY when there are serious safety issues at stake

B&Q have been selling gas appliances to the general public for a long time, and I see plenty of DIY installed gas appliances of which 50% of them are correctly installed (Folk get shifty when you ask them who has done the installation) so it would be fair to say that 50% of people simply cannot read the instructions that come in the box. I guess that it would be fair to use the same figures to the people who DIY their little ac units.

It does really annoy me when a site is set up to appear to be an open forum for the interchange of advice and information, but is in fact there as a marketing tool. If it is an advert, then please be honest, a good product will sell with a well constructed advert.

I actually read the mail that is sent to me and is made to look like an advert, but it takes a little while for me to find time to do so,I read my more important post first. Stuff that is disguised as an important letter goes straight in the shredder, even if I thought that I wanted the product. A dishonest first approach is the sure sign of a disreputable company

If you fit it correctly, it might work

eggs
14-02-2005, 01:01 AM
Just a thought.

We all seem to have an opinion of Mr Milleneium and his way of doing business.
We could all go to his website and see what Premium brands he is selling.
We, at the RAC, could all mention to our own suppliers, of his premium brands, that we may not be happy about our industry being devalued by Mr Millenium.
We, as a collective, may have a greater purchasing power than Mr Millenium.
Maybe, the powers at be, might decide to leave Mr millenium, to sell his "Designed by us", Millenium brand exlusivly.

If nothing changed, we would all know the true meaning of Daikin 1 and York Partners.

From my interpretation af these schemes, these manufacturers have already resigned themselves to our devalued product.

Have you seen the price of small Hitachi, MHI, M/elec m series, Carrier these days. It cost almost as much for a peristaltic as is does for these systems now.

This is the way it is going, DIY COMFORT COOLING, In the back of your minds, maybe you could just tilt your cap to the fella for getting there first.
And other than pissing off engineers, as it says on his website he would, up until recently, with part p, he has not actually done anything wrong.

I know it looks like i'm defending the man, and here are the facts.

I have lost genuine jobs to him.
I have sent tyre kickers to him, when i have got bored with them
I have had good feedback about him from the "tyre kickers" i had lost patience with.

We are in business to make money, not to save the planet. Fair enough if we can save the planet after the bills have been paid then great. But first and foremost to pay the bills, clothe the children.
This chap has seen this market opportunity and exploited it.
Things are now slowley tightening up. But the thing is, this chap has got the thing no amount of advertising can attain, recomendation from happy clients. This has been gotten by spotting the early opportunity and seizing it.
Admit it chaps, in the domestic market, he has a 20yard start.

Cheers

eggs

Karl Hofmann
14-02-2005, 09:33 AM
I would say that to most of you larger guys, then the domestic market is already closed off, but to the small tradesman it is a potentially a good market where a good living can be earned using better quality kit for a comperable price, so from my point of view, I would not agree that he has got the jump on some of us.

I am able to look at an installation as an entire package that I control from the first call to the end of the life of the system, and so can control my pricing keenly. If a job is too big for me, I pass it up to a larger company who is better equiped to tackle the job to the customers satisfaction.

I have the best form of advertising..Word of mouth

eggs
28-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Mr millenium has got competition !

Just got back from B&Q.

Yup you guessed it. DIY, self install, own branded KF-R units, using those quick connect pre-charged lines

12000btu wall mounts £600

9000btu wall mounts £500

cheers

eggs

Karl Hofmann
28-02-2005, 07:10 PM
LOL So why wont my 9000btu machine cool my South facing 4metre X 6 metre conservatory?

eggs
28-02-2005, 10:47 PM
"sorry mate, i only work here weekends."

cheers

eggs

Daddy Cool
11-03-2005, 10:31 AM
But have any of you gentlemen got yourself corgi/acops registered, or do you know a good plumber to install the "professional install" units that they supply? Cos on their web site, i quote "Must be fitted by a fully qualified professional heating engineer" :eek: :D i didn't know whether i should laugh or cry.

Karl Hofmann
11-03-2005, 11:45 AM
I'm CORGI Registered, and the last boiler that I would install is a Ravenheat or a Biasi from B&Q. The Ravenheats are reliable enough, but it is the problem of getting parts, Biasis are just awfull, I have just scrapped a six year old Biasi, because the parts and labour on the repair would have been half the price of a new boiler, and the boiler had been repaired twice before.

Replaced with my favorite, a Worcester

Daddy Cool
11-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Karl,

Sorry, i think i misled you. i have just come back from two weeks holiday, and i think i still have my dumb holiday head on.

Follow the link to see what i mean about Heating Engineers being needed to fit the attached units.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/product/product.jsp?CATID=8030010&entryFlag=false&PRODID=8090020&paintCatId=[/URL]

Karl Hofmann
11-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Ah Yes,

Sorry I have my weekend head on already.

Whats the problem? its copper pipe, innit mate, plumbers stuff, bit of soft solder here and a bit of Jet Blue there, no probs. Oh electrics? Well you need a sparky for that dont ya, I just do the copper and open these valves. That hissing will stop in a few hours as it seals itself. Oh THAT pipe, well you just put a bucket under it and empty it out each day dont ya.

Yeh this aircon lark is a piece of cake, what do you mean it's not blowing cold? Well its buggered innit, take it back to B&Q and give us a call when they give you a new one and I'll do you a good price on fitting that one too.

Errm... Sorry mate, no cheques, cash only :cool:

chemi-cool
11-03-2005, 09:01 PM
Hi Karl,

You just qualified!

When can you start? :D

Karl Hofmann
11-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Thanks Chemi,

I'll take the job but only if you pay milage to and from home :eek:

eggs
14-05-2005, 10:33 PM
i don't know about you guys, but my turnover this year is well down.
so i have been doing more sub-contract ductwork fitting. (before you frown, check out the money being paid to competant ducters these days!!!)

anyway the main point.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20711&item=5974721099&rd=1

i turn to ducting when times are hard, i'm not sure i'd try ebay just yet.

cheers

eggs

Karl Hofmann
15-05-2005, 12:14 AM
Ha! I suppose that you could use it as a wall decoration, a bit like those big metal butterflies that the guy in North Wales makes, but would Mr M split his stock to provide the rest of the kit at a reasonable price.

I had a guy ask me to install his Mitsubishi cooler in his living room, but when I went to survey the job it turns out that the muppet had only stolen the indoor unit :rolleyes:

slingblade
05-03-2006, 02:45 PM

cheers

richard

that happens more often than you would think.

Slim R410a
07-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Jesus Christ!:eek:

The first post I read someone wanted to seal flare nuts with silicone to prevent a leak!!!!!!!!WTF!

dogma
19-03-2006, 06:06 AM
WTF are these ******s at Global cooling doing?

Aren't there EPA regulations which prevent this type of shet from happening?

This and department stores selling units to home owners needs to stop. If a department store sells units to the public I don't think they should be able to "take them home", rather the qualified tech should deliver and install.

I think all this EPA regulation must be just a money spinner for govs. Whats the point of doing it right when every tom **** and harry is a DIY tech??

Abe
19-03-2006, 10:39 AM
We have so many regulations............Like a big bolted door in a bank to prevent someone breaking in.........then they leave a vent open on the side!!

This happened to me some years back, I had a trip to Grimsby and one of my tyres failed on my vehicle. I was desperate for a tyre so I called into a local second hand tyre place, who "supposedly" sell these recycled tyres

He said............40 bucks for new........but Ill give you a second hand one for 20.00 Cash.........its as good as new

I was tempted , he fitted it..........Off I went. On the way I was nearing a bend in the road somewhere..........I slowed down t around 30 MPH, I notice a truck behind me flash......

Just before the bend, the tyre gave way........My car went out of control........I nearly went over.......fortunately due to my having slowed down, I was saved.

This is My argument........The government makes the driver undergo stringent MOT tests............yet,

They allow these unscrupulous operators to sell tyres which are potentially death objects. See the logic?

Similarly............increasingly the engineer will be forced to undergo training and accreditation.............yet, thru the back door. channels can off load their gear willy nilly.

Its like the EU, making sure every drop of refrigerant is accounted for...........yet a poster from South America is still talking about R12

cool it
29-03-2006, 10:53 PM
This is another handy hint from the guys there !!!!!

If you want to use solid drain tube then the best way is to use plumbers 22mm overflow. By using some PVC electrical tape around the drain exit end you can make a tight fit to the overflow

dogma
31-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Mate I joined to be a member over a week ago now and the buggers won't let me post. All I had to say was I'm a refrigeration and air conditioning apprentice. Something tells me they don't want REAL input on their forums.

Go figure.

dogma
02-04-2006, 01:15 PM
I didn't even get a chance to post on the site and I was deleted. Unbelievable.

This guy needs to be shut down.

Peter_1
02-04-2006, 01:21 PM
What guy removed what and when?

botrous
30-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Hi guys how are you all doing ? miss you all . . . .
Hope everything is fine and hope that I'll be able to be back to post in RE ... miss ya allllll

Respects and regards
Botrous
Pierre

US Iceman
30-04-2006, 11:46 PM
Hi botrous,

It has been some time since I have seen you on the site. I hope everything is OK.

Best regards,
Us Iceman

botrous
01-05-2006, 10:28 PM
Hi Iceman ....
How are you doing ?
everything is alright , just came back from a long business trip . . .
what's new ??
I like the new RE logo :)

regards and respects
Botrous

Brian_UK
01-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Hi Botrous, good to have you back.

cold as ice
18-06-2006, 11:03 AM
On the subject of Corgi registration. Having been Corgi registered for the past 15 years, I can confirm a time served plumber / heating engineer can apply for corgi membership, after completing sucessfull ACS training and assessment with either a BPEC or CITB assessment centre.
When you have Your ACS registration card, you can apply for Corgi membership.
You simply fill in the forms, send off, complete with cheque and you will get an appointment letter for your inspection.
If you satisy the inspector that you have the right tools , equipment and a thorough understanding of the gas regs - you should be in!
But you must have formal city and guilds or a simular qualification, plus some form of apprenticeship in a related subject.

frank
18-06-2006, 07:41 PM
But you must have formal city and guilds or a simular qualification, plus some form of apprenticeship in a related subject.

Really?

One of my customers (a lage building society) have recently sent their maintenance man (he he :rolleyes: ) on a Corgi course and he passed!. He has not done a 4 year apprenticeship - he used to unload the toilet rolls :eek: every week from the suppliers lorry
http://www.corgi-direct.com/corgi-group.aspx
http://www.pwccwr.org/pembrokehistory.html (sorry)

mick2me
02-08-2006, 06:39 PM

cheers

richard

Funny that Richard.

I posted in there as I was a prospective Buyer.

When I returned, I found I was unable to log on
as my account was terminated?

And I only posted a question about purchase...

dogma
03-08-2006, 12:59 PM
It's not so much that I object to these geezers selling their wares, but it is the encouraging folk to DIY when there are serious safety issues at stake

Exactly. And as others pointed out there is an enviromental issue as well.

The industry needs to ensure that the EPA are constantly made aware of these issues. And to a lesser extent enviro nuts.
They need to acknoledge that the refrigeration techs understand enviromental impacts of the refrigeration industry and should support tighter regulations of DIY buffs.

Open more opportunities for industry education and advancement by offering more specialised training at our TAFEs and Universities.

If nothing else I come back to this thread periodically to get my dose of humour.

Cheers fellas

regards

dogma

Smokey
05-08-2006, 12:05 AM
Cos now we can go the route of our gas fitting couzins.........The Corgis.........Our bretherin Sparkies, The Part P Brigaders...........
Yes siree...............We now get licensed and certificated so only " us" can work on fridge plant and air con thingies

The problem with the Corgi route, will be the never ending changes to the regs/codes of practice, that we will have to work to. Also on-going training and testing. This makes the pro more expensive and the cowboy look an even better prospect. Will people get prosocuted, I doubt it!!:mad:

frank
05-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Will people get prosocuted, I doubt it!!:mad:

Only when something tragic happens, as always seems the case.

bersaga
15-08-2006, 07:25 PM
richard - didn't did some modelling while you were in KL ! pic looks good ... also seen copies of these pasted in the local hotspots !! Bernard

rbartlett
16-08-2006, 08:04 AM
richard - didn't did some modelling while you were in KL ! pic looks good ... also seen copies of these pasted in the local hotspots !! Bernard

I have pictures of you too remember ;-))

Oh and I never did get those 'after' pictures

Cheers

Richard

romaurie
17-08-2006, 04:11 AM
A small vac pump can be made from a discarded compressor, the Hermetique AEZ 4440 is my favourite. Change oil, fit "3 in 1" electronic relay'cappy and schreider for connection, And leave the discharge open.This will evacuate a 37.5Lt volume in 1.5 mins. So for domestics, small A/C, etc, this works. Whenever the main vac pumps are "tied-up" I have this as a back-up.

The 37.5 Lt figure comes from a glass tunnel I built to link 2 aquariums. Its volume is 37.5 liters. See it working on "youTube" vacuum assisted aquarium water change.

Look under: Aquarium water changes: Vacuum assisted.

tony parker
17-08-2006, 01:48 PM
I Think its all getting worse, myself have been out of the industry for a few years, Do a bit of private work now and again for freinds etc (keep my hand in!) just had A/C fiited in the office were i work, the building contractors who do all our work turned up with diy unit from homebase spent all day making a mess got it all working(you should see the pipe work!!).Ran the thing 1hour after they left water running down my still dusty walls. Had to explain to them the next day the reason why!! and they still tried to tell me i didnt Know what i was talking about!

chistine
21-08-2006, 08:36 AM
so, when I am going to Africa?