PDA

View Full Version : Pump down old AC to Reinstall somewhere else

aussie-install
09-01-2010, 06:10 AM
Hi, i've been installing new AC/Heat Pumps for a few years now and very rarely get asked to remove and reinstall. I now have that job again.

Can someone just remind me how to go about it? I want to pump all refrigerant to the outdoor unit.

Its a Sanyo Unit

Thanks

mad fridgie
09-01-2010, 07:32 AM
Hi pretty easy fit suction gauge on service valve (large valve) Turn unit onto cooling mode (make sure is running), close small service valve. You will see the suction pressure drop as it is getting vary close top 0 on gauge quickly close the big one, then turn off.

aussie-install
09-01-2010, 09:59 AM
thanks so much, i will give it a go next week.

aussie-install
09-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks, if i don't have any R22 Guages can you do it without them. I have R410 guages but don't require R22 much so i haven't purchased any. Last time i borrowed some of a work mate.

Thanks

mad fridgie
09-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Thanks, if i don't have any R22 Guages can you do it without them. I have R410 guages but don't require R22 much so i haven't purchased any. Last time i borrowed some of a work mate.

Thanks
You may require an adaptor for your gauge lines, for this purpose you are only looking for pressure "0"gauge so gauge type does not matter.
make sure when you re-use on R410a, to give alittle purge with R410a.

nike123
09-01-2010, 10:24 PM

Thanks

You don't need gauges at all in most cases of relocation.
Just turn ON unit on cooling mode and wait until compressor starts. It is good practice to run it in cooling mode at max set temperature (or in test mode) for some time (15 min or more) to collect oil from pipes. Close smaller valve and than after 30-60 seconds close bigger valve. Turn OFF unit and check with screwdriver, that, when you press valve needle, connection port has no pressure. Cap it, and that is all.

paul_h
19-01-2010, 03:54 PM

Thanks

It doesn't sound like you install any of the chinese imports, haier/aux/chigo etc or kelvinator/teco conventional non inverters then.
I'm amazed about the amount of r22 splits still sold here.

glenn1340
19-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Hi, i've been installing new AC/Heat Pumps for a few years now and very rarely get asked to remove and reinstall. I now have that job again.

Can someone just remind me how to go about it? I want to pump all refrigerant to the outdoor unit.

Its a Sanyo Unit

Thanks
I usually prefer to reclaim the refrigerant into a cylinder, that way all the gas is drawn out of the indoor unit and pipework. If you leave the reclaim in auto it`ll cut out at its max vac setting, if there`s any residual refrigerant in the system still to boil off the reclaim unit will restart. Also as you`ll be weighing the gas out you`ll know if you`ve got the right amount to put in again (there`s always the possibilty that there`s a slight leak in the system). While as this is going on you can be disconnecting the wiring, clips etc.

fridge doctor
19-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Hi Aussie install,

Some of the members might not agree with what I am about to say here, but It's my opinion, and I am going to risk it anyway.

From what you have said in your posts, it seems that for you there is a clear distinction between an AC installer, and an AC engineer or technician. Let me explain, I install AC equipment, but then I am also a technician, which means that if something goes wrong with the install and the equipment doesn't work (either at all - or just some aspect of it), then I can just put my other cap on and diagnose the problem there and then. My question is therefore do you, (and other members) think it is OK for people to install AC having only the knowledge required for the actual install, and little or no knowledge of how the system works AND far more importantly, the dangers that are present. Because if that is the case, we go right back to the argument several years old now, where plumbers were presuming that they could get into the AC trade.... Which by all accounts they have. But can we be totally honest about this, if you were the customer paying for an AC install (the workings of which you knew FA about), you would I am sure like to think that the people who install it know all about it, and can fix it if it goes wrong later?

The thing is Aussie Install, if you are working for a bigger outfit as purely an install engineer, then that is fine, because your company will have technicians on hand to back you up if things don't work out... But if that was the case, then surely you would be asking one of them what to do... not us?

So from where I sit, it looks to me like you are working independently, and obviously don't have any knowledge of how an AC operates, because the question you asked is really something that any AC tech could do in his sleep. So now several kind souls have given you the information you needed, but to be honest, I really don't think that was a wise move.

lowcool
19-01-2010, 10:20 PM
im in agreeance doc,doesnt sound like he is arctic certified to me.one of the first things taught at trade school was how to pump a unit down,in my day anyway.
sounds like youve lost your horse aussie john wayne

aussie-install
30-01-2010, 11:31 PM
im in agreeance doc,doesnt sound like he is arctic certified to me.one of the first things taught at trade school was how to pump a unit down,in my day anyway.
sounds like youve lost your horse aussie john wayne

Thanks guys for your help (some :eek:) . I appreciate your comments "fridge doctor" and understand where you are coming from, however you don't know my circumstances and therefore only judging by my comments.

A couple of items i should point out.

- Yes i am Certified with Arctick.

- I only install new units, never do any work on (as my license does not allow it nor do i have the knowledge to undertake work) i leave this up to the real tech's who have done the hard yards.

-With regards to what we were taught, i completed a 5 day certified course, yes we did go through the pump down procedure as well as lots of other, however this was years ago now, and its like this. If you don't do something often you obviously forget. Im not one to claim i know everything at all, hence i was asking you guys. So come on don't criticize when you only know half the story (and to be completely honest, you can keep your comments to yourself).

Paul_h - nah i don't bother with cheap chinese brands, not worth the trouble, plus the R22 ones will be off the shelves shortly anyway!

Also "fridge doctor" an engineer is a big word to be using. Anyone can call themselves an engineer! I get this all the time, see what qualifications they have, most have FA.

Thanks again im in no way claiming to be a Refrigeration Technician, i don't want to be.

lowcool
31-01-2010, 01:07 PM
you say your licence doesnt allow it.

hi ho silver away
yee hah

aussie-install
31-01-2010, 07:52 PM
you say your licence doesnt allow it.

hi ho silver away
yee hah

Yea thats what i said. Also said that i don't have the knowledge to do the work.....

Some people are funny ones! :)

fridge doctor
01-02-2010, 12:08 AM
"my license does not allow it nor do i have the knowledge to undertake work....

i completed a 5 day certified course, however this was years ago now.... don't criticize .... (and to be completely honest, you can keep your comments to yourself)."

That's a big hole you just dug yourself into. My comments were and are valid. By virtue of help and instruction I for one will not aid and abet an unqualified person to go and fool around with a dangerous piece of kit... sorry, a 5 day course doesn't cut any ice with me.

aussie-install
01-02-2010, 02:21 AM
"my license does not allow it nor do i have the knowledge to undertake work....

i completed a 5 day certified course, however this was years ago now.... don't criticize .... (and to be completely honest, you can keep your comments to yourself)."

That's a big hole you just dug yourself into. My comments were and are valid. By virtue of help and instruction I for one will not aid and abet an unqualified person to go and fool around with a dangerous piece of kit... sorry, a 5 day course doesn't cut any ice with me.

I've dug no holes, a 5-day course in Australia will give you enough understanding to obtain a Restricted Split System license in Australia. Whether you like it or not that just life. A restricted license will only allow new installations, no service work is allowed. And for you who seems a little slow, when i am referencing "nor do i have the knowledge to undertake work" i mean i have not done the relevant training to undertake any service work - i mean its obvious isn't it?

You've got your views, ive got mine. Lets just leave it at that.

Have a good One.

aussie-install
01-02-2010, 02:30 AM
Sorry i mean the License will allow new installations and decommissioning.

fridge doctor
01-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Sir... I do not want to enter into a slanging match with you. But I and many of my peers spent 5 years as a lowly paid apprentice learning the skills of refrigeration and of course air-conditioning.... I can truthfully say that 5 years was just the beginning. I am sorry if you think I am 'slow'. I have 44 years in the industry so perhaps I am entitled. Maybe my colleagues will comment upon whose view is correct... I will be guided by them.

aussie-install
01-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks for your comments, end of discussion.

lowcool
02-02-2010, 05:48 AM
jolly good now that thats all over with.
any other posters from overseas who want to work here legitimately maybe ai might be able to remember the name of the course that was approved by the Australian Refrigeration Council( ARC ) i dont know what you where certified as ai

cheers

aussie-install
02-02-2010, 09:48 AM
lol, sorry mate im an Aussie been here all my life if thats what you are referring to :) lmao

Oh and if anyone want a list of courses that will enable them to apply for a Restricted License in Australia then go to w w w.arcktic.org.

Bye All!

philstead
08-02-2010, 12:43 PM
two ways of looking at it from my perspective.
Aussie fridge has gone to the trouble of getting a restricted licence . still to this day in Aussie there are plenty of installs by unlicenced people and i have lost count of the number of warranty jobs ive gone to that were installed by people who have no idea, with incorrect superheat and subcooling and a distinct lack of evacuation just for starters.
ive worked on all types of machines from large chillers to small splits and yes i too get annoyed when i see the licencing aspect of my trade.
but i had the pleasure of working with a bloke years ago who had no licence and no formal qualifications and he was the best mechanic ive ever worked with.
in short, i dont know the standard of work Aussie fridge does but he got off his arse and got a licence and he came on this forum and asked for help, i say good on him he sounds like he cares about the job he does.

lowcool
09-02-2010, 03:21 AM
gday phil
i think he shot himself in the foot with the wording of his posts.

philstead
09-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Fair piont low cool, im a bit of a softie for people who have a go.
any way have a good summer im flat stick with the humidity in sydney at the moment.