PDA

View Full Version : Old Toshiba split

R1976
07-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Hi everyone,

The other night I was on a roof in the snow with a torch in my mouth trying to find out why some AC did not work........I hate my job.

Anyway, someone had dented the outdoor unit fan gaurd which smashed the fan and caused the whole unit to wobble when running. This caused an unused terminal screw to fall out of the contactor onto the electrics chasis and rattle and wedge in between the live and earth terminals, this blew the fuse.

What a string of unlucky events.

The unit is a Toshiba RAV 462 AH8-PE and I need to fit a new fan/fan motor. They have an old RAV 460 AH8-PE lying redundant on the roof. The 460 has two extra wires on the fan connector block so I did not want to swap it.

Does anyone know if this fan motor can be put in place of the faulty one? I did not have a circuit diagram.

Perhaps the extra wires are for an internal overload, if so would it matter if these weren't used?

Thanks

Jase
08-01-2010, 12:39 AM
Which fan motor is at fault. Top or bottom?
From what I recall, the top fan motor is a 2 speed motor. The 462 unit fan motors have a 6-pin plug attached with white,red and black cores.
On the 460 unit the top fan motor has an additional blue wire. Do not use this winding.
Also make sure the fan motors have the same power.
If all ok, then this should keep you going until you can order the replacement,

Jase

R1976
13-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Thanks Jase,

Yes, different watts and older 460 model has two extra fan speeds.

I have decided best to wait for replacement.

Loops
18-01-2010, 09:38 AM
R1976,

Those old outdoor units used a 39W and a 65W (approx) motor. Some multi speed and some single.

The 462AH8 used single speed motors.

You can use the appropriate wattage motor from the older 460AH8 model.

Physically they are the same.

Just connect the like for like coloured cables and separately insulate the remaining windings.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Loops

paul_h
19-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Hi everyone,

The other night I was on a roof in the snow with a torch in my mouth trying to find out why some AC did not work........I hate my job.

Anyway, someone had dented the outdoor unit fan gaurd which smashed the fan and caused the whole unit to wobble when running. This caused an unused terminal screw to fall out of the contactor onto the electrics chasis and rattle and wedge in between the live and earth terminals, this blew the fuse.

What a string of unlucky events.

Thanks
:D
For the last 2 days I've worked all day in a ceilig space or on a roof with the sun beating down on me, and with 42C ambients.
You won't hate your job truly until you just can't touch anything without severe burns.
I'd swap with you for that and for the reason every time I looked at a toshiba it's required expensive parts like £200 PCBs that took 3-4 weeks to get to me, or £4 parts with a £10 delivery fee that took 3 months to get :)
Nice to see that there's some toshiba experts here though :)