PDA

View Full Version : Hot gas by pass valve

glenn1340
07-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Hi guys,

We`ve got small job on that needs a bit of info on a HGBP. It`s a Alco but has no info on it. The parts buyer has had no luck describing it to the equipment manufacturer, Alco, HRP, Climate Center etc.
So, here`s my question: I know capacity selection is critical for a TEV but is it the same for a hot gas valve? as long as the inlet/outlet connections are identical I can`t see a problem. Therefore could we fit a valve with the same connections. After all as far as I`m aware its sole purpose is to regulate the evaporator pressure.

Thanks in advance guys,
Glenn

chemi-cool
07-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Can you describe the job? What sort of unit it is?

Is this a new unit? Old one?

Why do you need to add HGBP?

Maybe an EPR will do the job?

Details Glenn......

It might develop into a basic discussion: HGBP Vs. EPR.

There was a discussion about it conducted by the one and only, Mad fridgy.

glenn1340
07-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks chemi-cool
Sorry, I should have put more info.
It`s off a small compressed air dryer ( the original valve was faulty). I`ve not seen it, only going by a conversation with my boss. The compressor is about the same size as a domestic fridge. The hgbp is needed to keep the evaporating temp as near as 2c as possible. There`s very little room to in the cabinet and as the dryer`s a cheapo unit we want to keep the price reasonable.
Oh, and the dryer`s built into an air compressor cabinet so we can`t fit a new dryer assembly inside it with out major surgery.
Hope this helps.

Mind you I have seen some dryers with EPRs come to think of it, could be a solution if all else fails.

Thanks,
Glenn

oldesky
07-01-2010, 11:43 PM
If you have the compressor capacity, the refrigerant type, the minimum operating evap temp and the condensing temp with the minimum evap load, your loca wholesaler should be able to size the correct DB valve for you. The problem with EPR valves is that the compressor ca operate below its design envelope at low loads and may overheat and fail.