PDA

View Full Version : Daikin RZYQ7/8PY1 noisy?

Heathen
06-01-2010, 07:21 AM
Hello first time poster here but I have a problem.

Does anyone have any experience with the model mentioned above? We had ours installed 2 days ago and there is a loud buzzing sound coming from the unit, is this normal? Does'nt sound right to me. Had the installer come back and take a look inside and he said it was the compressor making the noise.

The unit is quiet for the first half of a cycle and the noise only seems to happen when the unit revs up and down, at the end of the cycle it gets really loud (like a radio controled aircraft doing a divebomb or a whipper snipper) then thuds and stops.

Has anyone noticed the same issue? It cools well and seems to do everything it's meant to except for staying quiet.

Thanks

lawrence1
06-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Hi,
I installed one 3 weeks ago,,,,,they do make some weird strange sounds and i was not impressed with this model unit.You should call Daikin service if you are concerned.
Regards
Lawrie

VRVIII
06-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Heathen;172827]Hello first time poster here but I have a problem.

Does anyone have any experience with the model mentioned above? We had ours installed 2 days ago and there is a loud buzzing sound coming from the unit, is this normal? Does'nt sound right to me. Had the installer come back and take a look inside and he said it was the compressor making the noise.

The compressor and fan motor frequency/speed will fluctuate to meet the required indoor capacity demand, this will result in a variation of noise levels.

The unit is quiet for the first half of a cycle and the noise only seems to happen when the unit revs up and down, at the end of the cycle it gets really loud
When the indoor has reached set point temp, the thermostat control will switch off the outdoor unit. When this occurs the outdoor will activate a pre purge function, this function will then increase the compressor frequency and fan speed to purge liquid form heat exchanger. Resulting in increased noise levels for 2~5min prior to stopping.

(like a radio controled aircraft doing a divebomb or a whipper snipper) then thuds and stops.
I’ve never heard a radio controlled aircraft doing a dive bomb or a whipper snipper
So can’t comment on that one :)

I think your system also has a low noise operation setting available, this can be set to reduce noise levels at night etc. (this will also reduce system capacity whem enabled). This function could be set up by your installer if required.

Heathen
06-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the replies. VRVIII thanks for your detailed response, yes this is makes sense to me now.

I may get the technician when he comes to put it in quiet mode if possible and see how it works, I'm near the beaches in Sydney, it gets hot here here but not as hot as 40km inland, where you can get temps 2 weeks straight of plus 38C.

Where I am it rarely gets that hot but it gets very humid.

I just find it odd that it's so quiet for most of the cycle and then gets so loud at the end of it.

One more question, do you know how they get thier noise ratings? Is it peak loudness or an average loudness over a cycle?

I measured the noise yesterday and it got up to 68db at a metre away.

Anyway thanks again, hope the tech turns up this week.

Ps. Oh yeah a whipper snipper is one of those motorised weed destroying garden tool thingos.;)

Heathen
06-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Hi,
I installed one 3 weeks ago,,,,,they do make some weird strange sounds and i was not impressed with this model unit.You should call Daikin service if you are concerned.
Regards
Lawrie

No I'm not happy either at the moment, quiet is meant to be quiet, the cooling is great but the noise is not. If it gets to the point where they say this is normal operation we'll be going to Fair Trading Australia to get them to put a quieter outdoor unit in. Or put a quieter compressor in . Our neighbours are away at the moment and I know they won't stand that noise when they return and neither should they.

Will be getting onto Daikin and the installer today.

Mick301
11-01-2010, 04:51 AM
I have recently had installed a new Daikin FDYQ200PV1(fan coil) / RZYQ8PY1 (outdoor unit) & it is noisy. When it was installed (Nov 09) the installation company immediatley vetoed the spot I had picked for it & suggested another spot on the opposite side of the house where the neighbours are on 1/2 an acre & their living & sleeping areas a distance away. Although this was not the ideal position (long pipe runs) I'm very glad I took the advice. Certainly these units are not quiet & I'm afraid Daikin will tell you that it is normal operating noise...I have had a tech out for another reason & he confirmed that it was a normal noise level. Today it is currently 41 in Melbourne & it is happily buzzing away keeping the whole house at a comfortable 24c. You may have to consider moving the unit to a more remote spot. I'm also surprised the installer didn't warn you about noise levels of any large (semi-commercial) air con compressors. Good luck

lawrence1
11-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Heathen / Mick301,
I have been talking to a Daikin contractor and it would appear that this model 20kw 3 phase unit is classed as commercial.There is no sound proofing whatsover in these units even the cheapest Chinese split has compressor blankets on them.Maybe you can install a blanket barrier around the compressor.

nike123
11-01-2010, 01:02 PM
No I'm not happy either at the moment, quiet is meant to be quiet, the cooling is great but the noise is not. If it gets to the point where they say this is normal operation we'll be going to Fair Trading Australia to get them to put a quieter outdoor unit in. Or put a quieter compressor in . Our neighbours are away at the moment and I know they won't stand that noise when they return and neither should they.

Will be getting onto Daikin and the installer today.

How long are pipes?

Mick301
11-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Lawence1, the unit does come with a compressor blanket (open the large lower front panel & it is evident) but certainly all the metal panel surrounds are bare. The tech had mentioned that accoustic foam, the type with small pyrimids over its surface can help reduce some noise but it would be minimal at best. As you say it is classed as comercial (top venting fan) & is quite a large unit for domestic use. Plenty of grunt which unfortunatley brings with it noise.