PDA

View Full Version : converting coldroom to freezerroom

kchipuriro
05-01-2010, 07:47 AM
May i have information of what i can look for and do when converting a coldroom to a freezer.I will be using the coldroom coil and the same condensing unit. I`m think its possible because the coldroom can reach temps as below as -5 degerees.

nike123
05-01-2010, 09:16 AM
No it is not possible.
Coil for freezing temperatures need to have higher distance between fins.
Condensation unit compressor is probably not designed to work with low mass of refrigerant which is case with freezer temperatures.
Find someone who know what he is doing.

coolhibby1875
05-01-2010, 01:36 PM
this will not work as a freezer you will need to check wall thickness and install door/floor heaters ect,ect.

samiam
05-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Change the coldroom coil to a freezer coil - add a new compressor and new condenser.

The Viking
05-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Guys, guys, guys...

Of course it will work, just not very well.
Give the chap a break and let him try, then he can come back and ask us why it doesn't work afterwards.
:D

Bertreb
07-01-2010, 03:24 AM
Yes, i agree with coolhibby1875 & viking. It will work but not quite good. For optimum performance of freezer you have to check for the proper thickness of panel insulation for the design freezing temp? provision of door/floor heaters to prevent air leakage, needs to change freezer coil with proper distance between fins, ect..

chemi-cool
07-01-2010, 07:58 AM
It will work somehow but not well.
1. Check if the compressor can work in low tenp evaporation.
2. you will need to install temp controller for a freezer.
3. Defrost?? Only electric heaters can be added at the bottom of the evaporator.
4. changes in the control wiring should be made.
5. Check if the construction is thick enough for a freezer, otherwise you might get condensation on the walls and door. [100 mm polyurethane is minimum wall thickness]
6. Bare in in mind that electric consumption will be higher.

Apart from that - Best of luck.
I wouldn't do it.

moideen
07-01-2010, 08:16 AM
No it is not possible.
Coil for freezing temperatures need to have higher distance between fins.
Condensation unit compressor is probably not designed to work with low mass of refrigerant which is case with freezer temperatures.
Find someone who know what he is doing.

Hi Nike, good information, is there any method to find out the evaporator categorization? If we face like this problem, how do we find out this is cold room evaporator and this is freezer evaporator. You mention compressor type. What is the deference of freezer compressor than HT, MT compressors? I mean that any displacement variation, winding, material quality etc.

Moideen-dubai

kchipuriro
25-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Hie guys after taking most of the things into consideration the only thing i didn`t do was to change the blower coil.I only added defrost heaters ,changed expansion valve(TX to TEX) and orifice. So far i have achieved -16 degrees.

lawrence1
25-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Wait for summer.

benijoseph
28-09-2010, 07:17 PM
dear kpo,

u have not mention what temp u want?

regds,