PDA

View Full Version : Tecumseh HGC 1000 oil specification

whanake
01-01-2010, 06:07 PM
I need to know what oil my compressor takes.
I have a Tecumseh HGC 1000 compressor, belt driven from a marine diesel, 12 V, used in a fridge/freezer refrigeration system on a boat. Cooling in condenser is via seawater; there is also a Parker liquid line filter dryer model 082. The compressor must be 40 years old, has been regularly serviced and is in good working order. The previous owner said it was set up with refrigerant R413a in 2004. System hasn’t been in use for a few years, that’s why I have had the compressor serviced.
After the service in the UK, engineer said he wasn’t sure what oil I wanted in it. Well I don’t have a clue! Tecumseh Products Company said they passed this line on to Blissfield 30 years ago, and on their web site there is information on Dorin belt driven compressors. In the cross reference charts it shows “Tecumseh 1000” as “New Blissfield 2Q5”. However, it also shows Tecumseh HGC 850, but not Tecumseh HGC 1000. I am awaiting a reply from Blissfield as to what oil I should use, but I thought someone on the forum might be able to help.
1. Please can anyone advise what oil I should use? (a popular brand available in Europe).
2. Does anyone have an old service manual?
Many thanks

monkey spanners
01-01-2010, 07:30 PM
I think Suniso 5GS would do, but i'd wait for a second opinion :D

Brian_UK
01-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Dupont state that R413a can be used with any oil so it is down to the compressor for the oil to be used.

edit: Some suggestions on the oil to be used here..

http://www.rparts.com/Catalog/Major_Components/compressors/Blissfield/blissfield_ed.asp

lawrence1
02-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Hi,
The HGC1000 was both an automotive compressor (6000rpm)for air cond and the desigantion 'C' (500>1500rpm)was commercial R12.
Oil type for commercial is Suniso 3GS.
Automtive use was 5GS.
I have tech data for this comp,,,,drop me an email and i'll scan it back.
Regards
Lawrie
ljrefrigeration@pacific.net.au

Peter_1
02-01-2010, 06:55 AM
You can use 3GS, 4GS and 5 GS. Only the viscosity changes a little bit.
We used for open compressors always 4GS of Suniso.