PDA

View Full Version : Scanning a book onto my hardrive.

marc5180
30-12-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm Buying a new all in one HP printer, scanner and photocopier tomorrow with the aim of trying to scan in a book that i can keep on my hardrive.

Since i've never done this before i'm wondering how difficult it will be.
There are 200 pages in total but the last thing i want are 200 seperate PDF files. I would like to create 1 pdf file with the 200 pages that i can just scroll down or choose the page numbers.

Only problem is i wouldn't know where to start, has anyone done this before?

Josip
30-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Hi, Marc

I did it before ...

it is quite a long job, but not that painful ... sugar at the end ... you have a book on your HD...

when you make scanning it will be all in JPEG format from 00001 (or whatever) until 00200 (do not use to high resolution ;) 100/150 ...) final file will be very huge ... then you can print all images with pdf printer within Adobe reader ....

Best regards, Josip :)

The Viking
30-12-2009, 09:07 PM
You will need a PDF printer/editor.

It depends on what software HP has bundled in with the all in one printer. Normally anything you scan will end up as Jpeg "photo" files in your computer.

I'm lucky and got the Adobe suite 'on the cheap' it really is the dogs shiny bits but with a retail of around £900 you would expect that.

There are plenty of shareware PDF printers on the market or alternatively I warmly recommend "Open office" ( www. openoffice.org ), it's free and as god as or even better than Window's Office suite.

In the word processor of your choice you import the Jpegs as images in the order you want them then you either print that document to PDF (with a PDF printer) or save it as PDF (if you are using Open Office).

There are also pure PDF editors out there so you could import your scans either as individual Jpegs or PDFs (depending on HP's software) and combine them in the editor.

Edit:
Josip, sorry to disagree with you.
But to create PDFs you will need Adobe Acrobat, the paid for version of the Reader, at £320 it's quite expensive compared to other options. (At least according to Adobe.com)

marc5180
30-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Do i need to get a printer that has OCR so it recognises the words or is it just a cse of scan it in and it will automatically scan in as a Jpeg.

I want the pages to look as good and clear as pdf's normally look and not faint and unclear.

The Viking; is it Adobe creative suite 4 that you have because i know a friend who has it and could borrow it from him.

The Viking
30-12-2009, 09:50 PM
If you use OCR you will end up with a 'normal' text document. (Unfortunately the OCR programs I used have never been 100% accurate)

Yes CS4 but if you haven't got it don't worry about borrowing it. Personally, I would rather download Open Office and use it's word processor (It's great in it's own right).
Or google [PDF printer], you will find pages and pages of freeware/shareware to download and they will (should) work with all the programs on your PC, just like a normal printer would. (Say that you need your mate to read a spreadsheet and he haven't got Excel, just PDF it and email it to him)

nike123
01-01-2010, 02:25 PM
http://www.primopdf.com/index.aspx

marc5180
01-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks for all your help.

I finally managed it but it took forever..