PDA

View Full Version : Fan motor squeel

back2space
30-12-2009, 01:38 AM
The fan motor on the LG floor mount appeared to make a squeeling sound tonight, it sounded almost like morse code a very high pitched but not loud sound, the fan speed was on low but when we put it on high the sound cleared after a few seconds.

When it was put back on low the sound started up again but cleared after a few seconds, the fan is rotating ok and feels smooth so not sure why it did it?

Wasnt the louvres as they are turned off so must have been the fan as it changed pitch when the fan was speeded up.

Any ideas?

The Viking
30-12-2009, 01:47 AM
Does it say "LG" on the front of the unit?

(Sorry, couldn't help myself. I'll get me coat)

mad fridgie
30-12-2009, 01:52 AM
Did it sound like a mouse?

mad fridgie
30-12-2009, 01:53 AM
You might have a mouse

nike123
30-12-2009, 02:04 AM
I think that you will be having some nightmare with that LG very soon.

Why did not you exchanged it with Mitsubishi when you had have opportunity, if I remember correctly from your previous saga with that peace of s h i t ?

Back on topic, it could be that bearings are starting to get dry and noisy or something is close to fan and when fan is on low speed it is unbalanced for that speed( there is static and dynamic balancing of fan squirrel cage) and skim that object periodically in accordance with imbalance.

lawrence1
30-12-2009, 03:29 AM
It's the motor bearings about to seize.

back2space
30-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Nike123 it wasnt replaced at the time with the Mitsi kit due to the fact that the original installer who fitted it at the time was going to take it out and replace with mitsi for diff in cost of equipment... this was too good to be true by the sounds of it and he went awol and the company folded... ive posted about this before as some other people have also heard of him.

I have checked the motor today and the fan spins very smoothly by hand and is running fine today?

Perhaps it was a one off... the fan in this unit is a cross flow fan.

Nike123 what do you mean by I will be having lots of trouble with this unit very soon?

Thanks.

monkey spanners
30-12-2009, 07:07 PM
If you can get at them you could put a few drops of light oil (such as zoomspout or sewing machine oil) on the motor bearings and the bearing at the other end of the barrel fan blade.

back2space
30-12-2009, 07:11 PM
If you can get at them you could put a few drops of light oil (such as zoomspout or sewing machine oil) on the motor bearings and the bearing at the other end of the barrel fan blade.

The other end of the fan blade (opposite the motor) doesnt have a bearing it is just the spindle that goes into a rubber holder thing which is just spins about.

Dont think I can get into the motor without dismantling it.

Will see if it does it again and investigate further.

Brian_UK
30-12-2009, 07:17 PM
The other end of the fan blade (opposite the motor) doesnt have a bearing it is just the spindle that goes into a rubber holder thing which is just spins about.That rubber holder thing is holding a small bearing. You can sometimes get a little oil in by puncturing the outer side of the rubber cup when the casing is removed (not sure about LG though).

monkey spanners
30-12-2009, 07:23 PM
If its a mouse you could tempt it out with some peanut butter :D

back2space
30-12-2009, 07:51 PM
That rubber holder thing is holding a small bearing. You can sometimes get a little oil in by puncturing the outer side of the rubber cup when the casing is removed (not sure about LG though).

Have checked and theres grease in there still.

Brian_UK
30-12-2009, 08:20 PM
I'm sure that you've already checked but have a good visual inspection in and around the fan blade area.

Sometimes small things/threads/etc can get in and maybe just touching the rotating parts.

At low speed you hear it but at higher speeds air buffer can build up and lift the item off the moving parts.

You may notice that I am clutching at straws here. :D

back2space
30-12-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm sure that you've already checked but have a good visual inspection in and around the fan blade area.

Sometimes small things/threads/etc can get in and maybe just touching the rotating parts.

At low speed you hear it but at higher speeds air buffer can build up and lift the item off the moving parts.

You may notice that I am clutching at straws here. :D

Have just checked again all clean as a whistle... the filters were only cleaned last week.

Someone on another forum asked "was it a mechanical squeel suggesting the motor, or an electrical squeel meaning the speed control module"

Has got me thinking now?

AbsoluteWDJ
30-12-2009, 09:48 PM
I had a call out with the same problem about a month ago. LG wall mounted fan coil. Stripped the indoor unit down to check for anything untoward and to make sure the motor was seated correct. Everything was fine but it still made an annoying noise when running. I've recommended the fan motor to be changed. I've seen this a few times with LG wall mounts over the years.

back2space
30-12-2009, 10:07 PM
HMM the wall mounts use a different style of motor to the convertibles.

The wall mounts use the ones that have inverter driven motors whereas as the convertibles which I have use standard motors that are switched electrically to up the speed.

desA
31-12-2009, 02:46 AM
I've seen the same thng on a Chinese-made Galantz, in SE Asia. Brand-new system it was. Sounded like a bird.

A good hard bang on the side every while kept the bird quiet.

nike123
01-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Nike123 it wasnt replaced at the time with the Mitsi kit due to the fact that the original installer who fitted it at the time was going to take it out and replace with mitsi for diff in cost of equipment... this was too good to be true by the sounds of it and he went awol and the company folded... ive posted about this before as some other people have also heard of him.

Sorry, I was not aware of that! I only remember that you have been given opportunity to change it with ME.

I have checked the motor today and the fan spins very smoothly by hand and is running fine today?Sometimes squirel cage fan could touch side of housing if they are not centered axially.

Nike123 what do you mean by I will be having lots of trouble with this unit very soon?From my colleagues experience (here in Croatia), and my personal experience, LG ,in air conditioning products, has bad reputation regarding reliability and quality. At first, when their AC was less complex, they seems to work OK for their price range, but today products seems to be less reliable. I would rather choose Midea. Same crap and crappy service support for lot less money.