PDA

View Full Version : pir wiring

martin102
28-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Hi guys, This ones a bit off topic but interesting all the same.
i,ve fitted 2 identical pir controlled lights, the type that only come on at night when the pir picks up movement.
Now 1 off these lights works normally, comes on when you walk in front of it and turns itself off after 5 minutes. The other light stays on continually when it goes dark.
I tried swapping the lights over but the one that worked normally now stays on continually. Both lights are fed from different light switches on the same lighting circuit.
I am now confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Martin

chemi-cool
28-12-2009, 02:35 PM
There should be a small knob to select the functions swomewhere.

Frikkie
28-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Some PIR units will stay on all the time if you flick the switch on and off and back on again. It's like an override they have built in. I would see the instruction book to make clearer.

martin102
28-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Some PIR units will stay on all the time if you flick the switch on and off and back on again. It's like an override they have built in. I would see the instruction book to make clearer.

If i flick the switch off then back on quickly the lights stay on continuous. I have left the power off to both lights for 5 minutes and then switched them back on individually. Still the same problem 1 works and the other doesn't. The only thing different between the lights is that 1 has about 1.5 mts cable and the other has about 4 mts. But i wouldn't have thought this would make a difference?

martin102
28-12-2009, 10:47 PM
There should be a small knob to select the functions swomewhere.

They are completely automatic lights, Just adjusters on the time the light stays on and sensitivity on sensor.

Brian_UK
28-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Are you saying that by changing the lamps from each unit the problem has moved with the lamp?

martin102
29-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Are you saying that by changing the lamps from each unit the problem has moved with the lamp?

No the problem has moved lamps?

MikeJ160175
31-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Then I would suggest that the PIR is faulty, most probably the internal relay stuck or mosfet is cooked.

Replace the PIR.. :o)

B G Scott
01-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Have you set the daylight sensor, there are two adjustable controls on the underside of the fitting one controls the amount of time the light remains on after activation and the other the amount of light, or lack of light to allow the system to switch to operational mode.
I have had a similar problem which was down to the daylight adjuster, not adjusting if you get my drift.

Frikkie
04-01-2010, 09:54 PM
No the problem has moved lamps?
The swapping around thing isn't clear to me. Did you swap the complete unit around or did you just swap the lamps (or bulbs if you in the UK)? Did the fault follow the unit when you swapped?

Are you using energy svaving CFL lamps? Check the lamps carefully, you didn't use a lamp (bulb) with a built in day/night sensor by accident?

martin102
12-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Got the answer from the manufacturers. They asked if there were any flourescent lights on the same circuit as these can cause a problem with the sensors. I have 5 on the same circuit, Which i dissconnected and everything worked ok. So they suggested i fit a 2uf capacitor on the sensor lights and reconnect the flouros. I tried it and they work great. Thankyou everyone who answered the question.

efcruleok2002
26-01-2010, 08:59 PM
omg! I'd have killed them before even thinking of getting in touch with the makers! Wouldn't have had too many probs with them staying on then!