PDA

View Full Version : Oil Capacity Question

Z2TT
27-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Hi,

Would just like to ask another question.

I read this Lexus service bulletin

http://www.ccar-greenlink.org/documents ... 001l98.pdf

It says for the SC300 (Soarer), that 150ml of oil should be used, now that has the 10PA17 Compressor, Most websites say to use 8oz, but doesn't 8oz equate to about 230ml? So I'm wondering why does Lexus recommend 150ml.

Also notice that the SC300 and ES250 use the 10PA17 Compressor, however reccomended amount is 150 for SC300 and 100ml for ES250, which makes me think again does the oil amount needed change depending on the a/c system, even when your using the same compressor?

My Question is, even though a compressor may require 8oz of oil, does the car it is in affect the amount of oil needed?
I'd think if the A/C System was larger you would need to have more oil in the system in order to provide a decent amount always returning to the compressor at any given time to lubricate it. So I'm wondering, should it be more like 5oz in the system? Even though many people use 8oz, I'm just wondering.

See for all the compressors listed in that service bulletin, by looking across the internet I see on many websites 8oz is reccomended, but how come the Lexus bulletin reccomends different amounts? Again the question is does the size of the system change oil amount needed.

Thanks all.

Brian_UK
27-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Always go by the manufacturers' recommendations.

They've down all the research and any changes could affect performance and longevity, also warranty.

monkey spanners
27-12-2009, 03:49 PM
I think the angle the compressor is mounted on the engine affects the recommened oil quantity.

Will
02-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Again the question is does the size of the system change oil amount needed.Yes, because the oil is spread through out the whole system.