PDA

View Full Version : Help in London

back2space
21-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Guys can you have a read at this thread please...

Post back if you would be able to help a gentleman as other people in the same block with the same units are not having these problems with the system... seems someone "serviced" it a few weeks ago and its now not working properly...

Its a heat pump installed by **********... its a system that heats the whole flat through ducting with the return air in the ensuite bathroom...

Other flats are coping fine... this one is struggling to get above 16C and the unit is blowing cold air.

Post 15 onwards:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=28055859#post28055859

Thank you
Richard.

back2space
21-12-2009, 08:21 PM
The gentleman has just advised that these are flats/apartments...

She advises this after I told her I had posted on here for her...

"Thanks Richard that is most kind of you. Hopefully if i get some positive response from their i will post a service engineers details on the noticeboard in the foyer.

Thank you once again.http://images.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_images/smilies/beerchug.gif"

Could be some business in it for the right guy...

multisync
21-12-2009, 10:07 PM
As a guess they fitted the same size unit to every flat and that was undersized for the smallest flat.

Whereabouts are they located?

al
21-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Richard

Sounds as if the 4 way valve isn't swithching over, I'm all yours for the cost of an aer lingus flight............

al

back2space
21-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Yeh they probably did multisync, however the other flats are coping ok.

They are in Barnet, North London.

back2space
21-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Richard

Sounds as if the 4 way valve isn't swithching over, I'm all yours for the cost of an aer lingus flight............

al

Haha, its only since the cold temps these issues have started but they are saying now its just blowing cold.

back2space
21-12-2009, 10:55 PM
They are in Barnet, North London.

clockworks
22-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Hi guys

I am the user back2space has kindly posted on behalf of.

The Air source heat pump i have is quite an unusual design . It's a one box system which is suspended in the space between the suspended ceiling and ceiling of the flat.

It's not a 2 box system like most of the other heat pump systems i have heard of.

Was made by a company called Dougall Sutton who apprear to have closed down now.

I had it serviced 6 weeks ago by an engineer- who now doesn't answer his calls. He said it was in good condition and no work needed doing.

He showed me 2 vents on the wall of the flat leading to the outside about 24inches by 12inches and explained one sucks air in and one blows out.

The box has both pipes lead into it and then has 3 pipes going into vents in the ceiling of 3 rooms.

So it cools or warms up the whole flat at once.

It also extracts air from the vents in the kitchen and shower room.

It is all controlled by a digital remote control. it only heats/cools the flat.

The water system is warmed by an immersion heater and is a seperate system altogether.

Yesterday it managed to increase the temp of the room by 1 degree.

The block of flats is now 6 years old and most of them have never been serviced before so i think are now starting to play up.

One neighbour never has his heating on but said when he uses it it is fine, another said hers is fine another said her's doesnt work at all and she can't get hold of someone to fix it so doesn't know what to do either.

Thank you to Back2space and those of you have replied.

:)

The Viking
22-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Clockworks,

What you are experiencing is a lack of performance?

Many faults are able to cause this, the most likely ones are a lack of airflow across the "outside" coil (not enough air is sucked from outside) or a lack of refrigerant.

It is worth checking air intakes and filters first but if that doesn't help, you will need a professional to check the gas charge for you.
Is there a sticker on the unit telling you what refrigerant it is operating on? (R407c, R410 or something like that)

Out of interest, did the system perform OK previous winters?

clockworks
22-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Clockworks,

What you are experiencing is a lack of performance?

Many faults are able to cause this, the most likely ones are a lack of airflow across the "outside" coil (not enough air is sucked from outside) or a lack of refrigerant.

It is worth checking air intakes and filters first but if that doesn't help, you will need a professional to check the gas charge for you.
Is there a sticker on the unit telling you what refrigerant it is operating on? (R407c, R410 or something like that)

Out of interest, did the system perform OK previous winters?

Hi

The Viking thanks for your reply. That's the first thing i checked was the air intakes to make sure leaves or debris hadn't blocked them up but they're fine.

I searched everywhere for a sticker for a model number but couldn't find one on the unit so there isnt a sticker with the refrigerant either.

I actually did ask the engineer who serviced it if the refrigerent levels were ok ( my only experience of refirgerent is from my brothers car which has A/C which i know he has topped up! ) and he said it was fine.

I know a big panel comes off as there are four big screws on the outside but to be honest i don't feel confident taking it off incase i mess it up.

I was speaking to a helpful forum member of MSE forums who actrually said he thought it was refrigerant too and said today to try and see it if it cools down the flat quickly and if it does it pretty much means it is.

With regards to previous winters i am unsure as i have only moved in. It was a repossesion so i havn't had any communication with the previous tennants.

A lot of the flats in this block were snapped up by the buy to let brigrade so little or no looking after was done inside the flat.

If it is the refrigerant, do you have a rough idea how much it would cost to top up?

thank you

back2space
22-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Have u rang the contact I gave u yesterday for him to come have a look?

clockworks
22-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Have u rang the contact I gave u yesterday for him to come have a look?

Actually spoke to him about an hour ago. Great guy and knows exactly what he's talking about and is popping over tomorrow at Midday.

Thanks!

back2space
22-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Actually spoke to him about an hour ago. Great guy and knows exactly what he's talking about and is popping over tomorrow at Midday.

Thanks!

Excellent stuff... im sure one way or another you will understand what is going on with the system...

You should perhaps speak to you neighbour who has the broken one and see if she wants hers looking at! Could be something simple!

clockworks
22-12-2009, 02:59 PM
I met her in the lift so not sure what floor she is on so will leave a notice in the foyer as I'm sure others will need thiers looked at too.

back2space
22-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Excellent stuff...

clockworks
22-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Do you have yours seviced? if so how often?

back2space
22-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Once a year and always at the end of the cooling season due to the coils being wet and they start to smell at the end of the summer.... I clean the filters once a month myself so when it is serviced he can concentrate on other areas.

back2space
22-12-2009, 06:53 PM
OH and if you do ever end up getting a new unit... heres another option:

http://www.acr-news.com/products/product.asp?id=1107&title=Hitachi%92s+Centrifugal+Indoor+Outdoor+Unit

clockworks
22-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Ahh that would be an ideal replacement! It literally ticks all the boxes. How much do you think something like that would retail at?

back2space
22-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Rather expensive for the equipment but as you dont need pipework from indoor to outdoor units there is less installation work involved as you have the ducting already in the flat.

Maybe the engineer can advise you on that tmrw he might be able to look into it for you... there are many other althernatives that dont require outdoor units that maybe cheaper.

clockworks
22-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Richard,

Apologies i mixed up your engineer from with another engineer from these forums.

Fantastic bloke, dismantled the unit , a bit shocking really. The electrical control panel didn't even have a cover!

It may be the valve or a solenoid but as the unit is clamped to the ceiling , stupidly you can only access it from the top and not the bottom so we need a crane.

How ever engineer was here for 2 hours- didn't charge me anything for his time and will call me tomorrow as to when he can come and replace the dodgy valve or hopefully solenoid which is cheaper.

back2space
22-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Richard,

Apologies i mixed up your engineer from with another engineer from these forums.

Fantastic bloke, dismantled the unit , a bit shocking really. The electrical control panel didn't even have a cover!

It may be the valve or a solenoid but as the unit is clamped to the ceiling , stupidly you can only access it from the top and not the bottom so we need a crane.

How ever engineer was here for 2 hours- didn't charge me anything for his time and will call me tomorrow as to when he can come and replace the dodgy valve or hopefully solenoid which is cheaper.

The engineers details I gave you was from this forum?

Did someone else come?

clockworks
22-12-2009, 09:43 PM
The engineers details I gave you was from this forum?

Did someone else come?

you sent me someone's details and someone else also PMed me too.

I assumed they were the same person ( as the one who PMed me said he was pointed to MSE from here) so i thought you had recommended him.

So it turns out i called him and not your chap after all by mistake.

back2space
22-12-2009, 09:45 PM
you sent me someone's details and someone else also PMed me too.

I assumed they were the same person ( as the one who PMed me said he was pointed to MSE from here) so i thought you had recommended him.

So it turns out i called him and not your chap after all by mistake.

Most the chaps on here are very good, I told you that you would get it sorted out either way!

What was the guys name?

eggs
22-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Was made by a company called Dougall Sutton who apprear to have closed down now.

Where Dougall Sutton not a ductwork contractors? Manufacturing A/C systems ?? :confused:

Eggs

clockworks
22-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Most the chaps on here are very good, I told you that you would get it sorted out either way!

What was the guys name?

yeah, you were right. Got it sorted in hours! Didn't even know this place existed till you pointed it out!

Will ask him if he minds me putting his name here or i can PM it to you?

clockworks
22-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Where Dougall Sutton not a ductwork contractors? Manufacturing A/C systems ?? :confused:

Eggs

To be honest I haven't a clue. That's the sticker on the unit. Unless the previous installer took it off a duct and stuck it on there?

back2space
22-12-2009, 10:05 PM
yeah, you were right. Got it sorted in hours! Didn't even know this place existed till you pointed it out!

Will ask him if he minds me putting his name here or i can PM it to you?

Yeh PM me no worries.

eggs
22-12-2009, 10:09 PM
To be honest I haven't a clue. That's the sticker on the unit. Unless the previous installer took it off a duct and stuck it on there?

Yes, i think maybe they were just the installing contractor, try and have a closer look and see who the real manufacturer is, the system may still be under warranty. A good look around may save you some serious cash.

Eggs

clockworks
22-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Yes, i think maybe they were just the installing contractor, try and have a closer look and see who the real manufacturer is, the system may still be under warranty. A good look around may save you some serious cash.

Eggs

Thanks Eggs i will ask the engineer who the actual manufacturer is good idea if it is still under warranty.

thebigcheese
28-12-2009, 04:12 PM
a six year warrenty now that would be great haha