PDA

View Full Version : desperado

desperado
19-12-2009, 05:31 PM
My freezer isn't working and I've had a repair guy in to look at it. He said the compressor needs replacing! The light is on in the fridge and there is a humming sound going on but still no cold air or ice. Could some one please tell me what a compressor does?

I've just spent the last hour or so going round in circles with various links from google. I don't see why I have to pay £13.00 just to find out that piece of info. Would some kind person please enlighten me? :confused:

Brian_UK
19-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Searching on Google is normally straightforward however, here is a link to show the refrigeration cycle.

http://www.air-conditioning-and-refrigeration-guide.com/refrigeration-cycle.html

Main thing is that the compressor is the "heart" of the system, no compressor, no cooling.

£13.00 to search Google? or £13.00 for the technician for the repair man, quite cheap really.

Clk320_Greg
19-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Humming sound could be a fan. If you think the fridge man isnt telling the truth get another in!

taz24
20-12-2009, 12:54 AM
My freezer isn't working and I've had a repair guy in to look at it. He said the compressor needs replacing! The light is on in the fridge and there is a humming sound going on but still no cold air or ice. Could some one please tell me what a compressor does?

I've just spent the last hour or so going round in circles with various links from google. I don't see why I have to pay £13.00 just to find out that piece of info. Would some kind person please enlighten me? :confused:

As explained, the comp is just a pump. It pumps refrigerant around the system and that is what causes the thing to get cold, Think of it as important as the engin is in your car.

What is the £13 for the engineers diagnosis?
In my opinion that is cheap, you could have been charged up to £80 for the call out from some companies.

taz.

desperado
20-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks for taking time to reply. So a comp is just a pump so how does the ice get made?

£13/£19/£25 were quotes from some website to answer a question - what is a compressor? - there were on-line engineers ready to answer peoples' questions at a price!!! But as usual, the site never explained you had to pay for info! Just for information so that's why I'm on this site. Great site it is too. Nice graphics and colours.

Ta again

desperado
02-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks for replying. Eventually I got round to it what with C/NY. No the £13/£19 price tag was the price some website wanted to just answer this question through its website - what is a compressor? It had some on-line engineers ready to answer these type of questions?

Could I ask you another question pls? Do you think its worth replacing a compressor in a fridge/freezer thats 4 years old? Would it be worth the expense? Its a lovely deluxe f/f (Ariston) but I don't know how much longer it will last? Could you offer me any advice.

Sorry you keep buying dodgy keyboards

taz24
02-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Could I ask you another question pls? Do you think its worth replacing a compressor in a fridge/freezer thats 4 years old?
Would it be worth the expense? Its a lovely deluxe f/f (Ariston) but I don't know how much longer it will last? Could you
offer me any advice.

Ask away :)

The Compressor is a pump and it circulates the refrigerant round the system.

We can't do much with temperature but we can manipulate pressure within the system.

Refrigerants follow a law of physics you see.

If we lower pressures we can lower the temp that the system will work at. If we raise the
pressure we raise the temp.

So we raise and lower the pressures within the system and that causes a high and low temp.
We can then transform this differance to the inside of the fridge and make it cooler than the outside.

Give us a full description of the sysmptoms and maybe some one can offer assistance.

As for the fridge being worth repairing, if the comp is
faulty and that has not been established, but if the comp
needs replacing then you would be looking at about
£100 to £150. Is the fridge worth that much to you.
You need to price up a new fridge and see the
differance.

We can offer assistance but you will not be able to
do anything with that knowledge. To sort it properly
you need an engineer to visit and tell you exactly.

Cheers taz.

Magoo
03-01-2010, 02:52 AM
Hi desperado.
for what it is worth, getting a fridge compressor change done in London, would be the equivelent price of a new replacement refrigerator. Add all the greif and heart ache that goes with doing it. If you are emotionally attached to old one, your call.
At least with new one you get a full warranaty.
Out with the old , in with the new.
(Make sure the fridge can breath, ie ventilation at the back of refrigerator, if built-in into a trendy kitchen then the heat cannot get out so kills the compressor.)
magoo

desperado
17-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Hi Taz, :D
Thanks for taking time to reply. Its kind of you.

Like I said in earlier messages, I have had a repair man look at the Fridge/Freezer. He spent 10 mins looking at the F/F and then told me it was the compressor. I did ask him how he knew that but his english wasn't very good. There was another guy with him, who I thought was a interpreter but he couldn't speak much english either!! I went into the repair shop a couple of days later but I can't remember much of the conversation now - except that I was told the guy had 25 years experience - but I am still none the wiser as to how the repairman came to that diagnosis. :rolleyes:

The light in the fridge still comes on when plugged in and there is a humming sound going on. Before the tragic death of the F/F, there was an annoying pool of water that would collect at the bottom of the fridge most days. This did go on for ages and I did nothing about it!!!! Silly me!

I worked out that water was sort of dripping down the back of the fridge. In the model I've got there is a small hole at the back of F/F just above the meat shelf especially designed to allow water to drain but I guess the F/F was producing too much water for some reason. Should have done something about getting that first symptom fixed!

I am confused!

Angel

Ask away :)

The Compressor is a pump and it circulates the refrigerant round the system.

We can't do much with temperature but we can manipulate pressure within the system.

Refrigerants follow a law of physics you see.

If we lower pressures we can lower the temp that the system will work at. If we raise the
pressure we raise the temp.

So we raise and lower the pressures within the system and that causes a high and low temp.
We can then transform this differance to the inside of the fridge and make it cooler than the outside.

Give us a full description of the sysmptoms and maybe some one can offer assistance.

As for the fridge being worth repairing, if the comp is
faulty and that has not been established, but if the comp
needs replacing then you would be looking at about
£100 to £150. Is the fridge worth that much to you.
You need to price up a new fridge and see the
differance.

We can offer assistance but you will not be able to
do anything with that knowledge. To sort it properly
you need an engineer to visit and tell you exactly.

Cheers taz.