PDA

View Full Version : Kwickfit - 25quid re-gases

Clk320_Greg
13-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Oh joy!

Suppriseing how many people judge the worth of the trade upon the price of having a spanner jocky plug an auto machine into there car!

Sooner the rules and regs force these guys away from AC the better!

Will
13-12-2009, 06:48 PM
What you talking about Greg ?

Clk320_Greg
13-12-2009, 07:40 PM
I see your from accross the pond so ill explane a little better,

Over here there is a firm called Kwikfit, there basically a Tyre fitters and now offer a bit of motor service too (like Jiffylube that i saw in the USA).

Well about 2 years ago they started getting these automatic units in there branches and offering Air Con Re-gases for 45GBP

Well i was out eailer and they have now slasshed the cost down to 25GBP. I suspect to try and earn a bit of winter business.

I remember when it started basically people see this on television and on posters then expect all Air Conditioning related matters (domestic or small comercial) to be costing roughly the same!!

Drove me mad the number of times you would hear "well i dont see why its that much when kwikfit can fix my car for 45quid"

Just thought i would share my thoughts and see if others maybe had an opinion?!

Ta,

Greg

Latte
13-12-2009, 08:16 PM
The problem you are up against as there is hardly any labour involved when Kwik-fit do it. All they have to do is drive the car in and fit gauges. The machine then automaticly pressure tests for a set duration and if ok, vac's and charges automaticly. If it fails the pressure test is stops. this means the mechanics on site can be getting on with other jobs (Tyres/exhausts) while the a/c job is being done. All it needs if a hole to pour coffee down and it will replace me in every sense of the job :-)

Brian_UK
13-12-2009, 09:46 PM
I also like their guarantee.

"If it isn't 10% cooler afterwards then we don't charge"

Considering that the air off temperature should be around 7°C then 10% of that is very easy to get on a meter.

xamtex
13-12-2009, 11:33 PM
kwikfit just take the easy money...regas and run...if there is a problem they dont want to know..
i do get work from people who go there for a regas but get turned away cause they have a leak..or are still on r12.

taz24
14-12-2009, 01:48 PM
kwikfit just take the easy money...regas and run...if there is a problem they dont want to know..
i do get work from people who go there for a regas but get turned away cause they have a leak..or are still on r12.

I don't want to sound funny but if it needs regassing then it has a leak. (not aimed at you just the misconception that car airconds need topping up)

The regulations will catch them up eventualy and they will have to conform to the same standards as the rest of us.

cheers taz.

Clk320_Greg
14-12-2009, 02:47 PM
I know of all sorts of horror stories!

Screwdrivers in valves to check for exsisting gas...

Many of the units dont do a pressure test, the just do a vaccume and see if it holds vac..... of corse with so many joints on the car AC if there is a split/crack/loose joint the vac will often pull it closed tight enough to hold vac... then when they drop the gas it it pisses out everywhere!

The other trick to make sure they get paid is to take the first reading with the fans on normal, then take the after reading with re-circ on!!!