PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia Sensors and Alarm

AndrewU
11-12-2009, 01:43 AM
I wanted to install ammonia sensor and alarm system for a cold storage facility. However, it seems there are so many types to choose from. It seems there are electro-chemical, opto-acoustic, infrared, semi-conductor, explosimeter types. Can someone help me as to the difference between them and what they found to be the better ones based on their experience ?
The system we are using in another location is a Cool-Air model LBW-50. Just wanted to find out more first rather than just duplicate the system.
I'm new to the forum and not quite if this is the correct place to put it. So apologies if it is not in the right place.

RANGER1
11-12-2009, 05:03 AM
Cool air is good and resonable price , reliable .

AndrewU
12-12-2009, 02:03 AM
Thanks very much for your input, Ranger1.
What about Chillgard ammonia gas monitor ? Has anyone used these before ? Any good ?
I noticed one say it has a Metal oxide semiconductor sensor while the other says it is electrochemical sensing. I'm confused as to what is the difference and which is better in certain applications

RANGER1
12-12-2009, 07:11 AM
Try Danfoss site , it may have info on what you require .

tom.smart71
08-03-2010, 02:52 PM
I think you should go for Cool Air Lbw-420, because it has the Detection Sensitivity up to 1000 ppm. Moreover , Coll air detectors have metal oxide semiconductors too.

AndrewU
18-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I did finally went for Cool-Air. Thank you.

mrfreezeit
20-03-2010, 11:49 PM
I would only use an electrochemical sensor in areas set to be constantly occupied by personnel. The PEL limit for ammonia is 50ppm and the detection has to be reliable below 50ppm. Your first warning should be at 25-35ppm to allow time to evauate the area. Solid state sensors are not as reliable below 50ppm. Solid state is susceptible to spices, vapors, and other gases which could cause a false reading. Honeywell who bought manning, Gfg, CTI, and Draeger are probably the most widely used in the industry for electrochemical. Infrared are expensive and not good for the lower concentrations yet, but have potential.

Eeram
17-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Google the Murco website. Pricey but still the best.