PDA

View Full Version : SL 200e fan shaft bearing

bessershmit
08-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Hello!

I`ve got problem disassembly the roadside fan shaft bearing assembly ,to replace the bearings
Anyone, help me with a disassembly sequence or
a SL maintenance manual.

Andy Longhurst
10-12-2009, 08:53 PM
never been able to strip a fanshaft bearing down. all the bearing i have done we have had to cut the bearing/housing of the fanshaft.then fit a complete bearing assy

bessershmit
10-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Thank you for the answer.

It was a atempt to save costs for my customers
When the bearing assy start making noise at 6000 hours!!

// Bessershmit

deanCool
10-12-2009, 10:02 PM
you can strip the fanshaft. Loosen end pulley bolt and remove fan pulley. Removed 3 bolts in bearing housing. Sometimes the hosing will slide on fanshaft. Use hammer. If seized on shaft then cutting bearing from shaft is the only method.

bellg
12-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Before cutting the bearing off try this;
The outer edge of the bearing housing has a groove cut all the way around. Most good bearing puller kits have a tool that will fit into this groove.It is made up of two semi-circular pieces that will bolt together into the groove.
The hydraulic puller is then attached to this piece and the bearing assembly can be quite easily be removed from shaft.

douryd
30-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Be careful with the fanshaft, if not installed properly you will end up with a shaft failure. That kind of work is for a workshop with TK tools and docs.

gravy258
31-12-2009, 02:32 AM
you can't really go wrong changing the fan shaft, so its not a dealer job.

The fan bearing carrier shaft usually corrodes and seizes to the fan shaft.
Best thing to do: Try and remove the unit as a whole, using a puller or sometimes a small tap with a hammer. If no good:
remove all of the alloy sections, so unbolt the four cover bolts and remove this section.
Then remove the back seal from the main body and remove this section.
Your then left with the bearing assembly.
Heat this section up glowing hot, then quench to rapidly cool. then use a puller on the front lip to remove.
If this doesn't work(or your in a rush), get a grinder with a thin cutting wheel and slice through the carrier on one side(being carefull not to slice into shaft as much as possible), turn around and slice through the other side.
Then peel off. Clean up shaft, apply anti seize compond and install replacement.

the actual bearing carrier is available on its own to purchase from TK, the bearings and seals are available locally from bearing suppliers. Then re use the alloy parts. Assemble with no end float.