PDA

View Full Version : backflow preventors vs. check valves

FEISTY
07-12-2009, 03:48 AM
Greetings and well wishes to all !! I am in heated discussion with facility management depts. over proper use of above valves. Local U.S. codes require " backflow preventors " installed on supply water lines and drain lines where water cooled condensers are used. Customer maintainence dept. installed simple brass check valve body with clean-out cap in both applications. First concern is supply must be full port or choke down of water occurs. Second concern is check valve doesn't meet " violation description " but having difficult time getting ruling from inspection dept. So...will one valve assembly equal function of the other?? Last but not least, can anyone tell me why the new " tech trick " is cut the vent tube on a headmaster valve before properly troubleshooting an outdoor condenser problem??? Bitter Chicago winters require high side pressure control so I now carry extra fan cycling controls to do temp repairs instead of exposing customers to high service costs the first time out. Guys......take the time to diagnose the problem before guessing !!! When the light bulb is out...DON'T REWIRE THE BUILDING!!! Sorry but had to vent. Had 4 such calls in less than 2 weeks. We can...and should..do better. Thanks for the time and hope work is good to all !! Happy Holidays.:)

jpsmith1cm
07-12-2009, 11:10 AM
There is a difference between a backflow prevention device and a checkvalve.

A Backflow prevention device, actually, there are 3 types, does exactly what the name implies. It is designed to prevent either dirty water or toxic chemicals from re-entering the potable water supply.

A check valve cannot be counted on to do this.

Depending on the application, you will either want a double check valve type or a reduced pressure zone type backflow preventer. I doubt that the anti-siphon type is what you need.

A plumber properly trained and certified will be able to tell you exactly what you need.