Model Specs:
Samsung Quatro Cool
# RM257ABRS (USA model)
R134a - 7.6 ounces
Compressor:
115 VAC
# BK190CL2X/E03

History:
Lost cooling six months ago, had Samsung repair man out. He added 4 oz UV dye R134a and came back 2 weeks later to check pressure. Pressure was ok.
One week later lost cooling again. Different repairman said cannot find leak – leaking internally. Samsung replaced fridge. New fridge in place, old one still sitting in garage.

Problem:
My wife LOVES the Quatro, hates the new S/S. Samsung no longer makes Quatro, or we would have gotten it instead of the S/S. Unhappy wife asked if I could look at the Quatro. I decided to break out my tools and see if I can find and fix the internal leak. I ripped out the guts of the fridge down to the evap coils. Used UV light to look for leaks, expecting dye everywhere. Nothing. :mad:

Hooked up to low side tap (installed by first repairman) and checked pressure while compressor was running – 0 PSI. Turned off and evacuated down to -24 PSI. Turned off Vac Pump and let sit for about 30 min – maintained vacuum of -22 PSI. Added 7.6 ounces of Dyed R134a, ran for about an hour. No frost on evap coils, compressor VERY hot (could touch for only a second). Running at about 60-70 PSI (on low side, no tap installed on high side.)

It is as if the compressor is trying to push the R134 but not getting anywhere. I have a lot of experience with Auto R134 systems, but not with refrigerators. I am not opposed to flushing system, replacing filter/dryer, compressor etc. to get this running again. Happy wife = happy me.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

chemi-cool
06-12-2009, 09:23 PM
I don't like sophisticated fridges.
As I remember correctly, they meant to cool and freeze food only but now there are too much electronic, too little copper in the tubes and the life expectancy is too short.

R-134a is a cleaning solvent and a very good one, it blocks the little driers very quick.

I would suggest you to install 1\4 drier 052 size and charge the fridge slowly until it runs fine and see if you loose charge.

happy
06-12-2009, 11:04 PM
sounds like compressor not pumping as low side pressure is staying high

Karl Hofmann
07-12-2009, 02:02 AM
Change the compressor or change the wife.... Whichever is more satisfying....;)