PDA

View Full Version : Unfreezing fish in a microwave oven.

Carlo Hansen
19-12-2004, 11:41 AM
Hi to All and a Merry Christmas.

I have been asked if it is possible make a cooling/freezing system inside a microwave oven. the purpose for this is to unfreeze fish
to -2° C without melting a thin shield of ice on the outerside of the
frozen fish, then it should be easy to brake this thin ice shield apart and start to refine the fish.
The microwave oven is a big one: W 2,5 mtr. L 2,5 mtr. H 2,5 mtr.
The cooling system must be a DX system because of the microwave ovens sealing and the thermostat must be a optical pyrometer to scan the surface of the fish, to keep the right air temperture in the oven.

Does anyone know something about system like this or another way to do something like this.

Best regards
Carlo Hansen

chemi-cool
19-12-2004, 04:08 PM
Hi Carlo and marry Christmas.

I am thinking of what will happened to the cooling unit if it will be inside the microwave oven. :D

I don't see any problem of doing it but the cooling coil + the circulating fan should be at one of the sides of the oven and pushing the air from the top to the bottom.

You will have to consult with the manufacturers of the micro wave to find out if it is possible to drill holes in the walls.

On the other side, I would check the small blast freezers for the job.

Chemi :)

Carlo Hansen
19-12-2004, 10:09 PM
Hi chemi

I see your point, it could be funny to see a rotating cooling unit in a microvave oven. :D
But i think the walls in the microwave oven has to be forced with a spot velded evaporator, just like we use in milk cooling tanks, and
only the ventilator blades should be inside (motor outside) this will
keep the oven a closed unit.
Microwaves is difficult to deal with , because of the sealing.

Best regards
Carlo Hansen

Coolie
02-02-2005, 06:34 PM
The last time I saw metal in a Microwave oven, the results weren't good!!