PDA

View Full Version : Am I being too fussy?

airefresco
05-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Some of you may remember a few years ago I posted about an article written in a magazine that we advertise with. Basically it was an article about how air conditioning is the spawn of Satin and is why cities are warmer, etc.

Anyway theyīve had a few more digs at air conditioning since then, but this month they printed an absolute beauty. Itīs about heating your home. This is what it says about air conditioning,

"If your property has air conditioning, this can also be used as a heater. However, itīs not all that efficient in a large room and can be expensive to run. And if you have breathing problems or suffer from asthma, air conditioning can exacerbate your difficulties. You can buy slim, panel radiators which are economical to run, but they are mainly for background heat. Oil filled radiators are more efficient, and again economical to run, but are rather bulky and unattractive.

It goes on to mention how great electric heaters, paraffin heaters and log fires are.

Bearing in mind me and two other companies spend a fortune advertising in this magazine and are advertising the air conditioning as heating at this time of year, are we right to be a bit upset with them?

taz24
05-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Some of you may remember a few years ago I posted about an article written in a magazine that we advertise with. Basically it was an article about how air conditioning is the spawn of Satin and is why cities are warmer, etc.

Anyway theyīve had a few more digs at air conditioning since then, but this month they printed an absolute beauty. Itīs about heating your home. This is what it says about air conditioning,

"If your property has air conditioning, this can also be used as a heater. However, itīs not all that efficient in a large room and can be expensive to run. And if you have breathing problems or suffer from asthma, air conditioning can exacerbate your difficulties. You can buy slim, panel radiators which are economical to run, but they are mainly for background heat. Oil filled radiators are more efficient, and again economical to run, but are rather bulky and unattractive.

It goes on to mention how great electric heaters, paraffin heaters and log fires are.

Bearing in mind me and two other companies spend a fortune advertising in this magazine and are advertising the air conditioning as heating at this time of year, are we right to be a bit upset with them?

I agree with you in principle but are you generating work from the adverts you run.

If the adverts are working and you get customers from them, then mayby you can not
afford to be so fussy, if on the other hand you do not get any intrest from the adverts, then stop them.

Cheers taz

desA
06-12-2009, 12:01 AM
You may want to have a quiet word with the magazine's editor & ask him/her if their focus is changing.

Express your concerns & then filter from his/her response. You will then know exactly where you stand, as will the magazine.

kuldeep
06-12-2009, 07:01 AM
Hi, My self kuldeep kumar, Now i am going to introduce my self on RE.COM, if any one have any querriers about Polyurethane foam manufactruing process, testing of foams quality, how to calulate losses in pu foam, plz feel free to contact.

Spencer.Guy
06-12-2009, 07:42 AM
Back on topic;

Although the article appears negative, it's opening comment is about A/C being used as heating.
It may be that some people don't know this and become interested despite the rest of the article.

As previously said are you generating sales from the ad, if so and is the extra work paying for the adverts?

airefresco
06-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Just to clarify something, thatīs not the full article, the bit I posted is just the bit the mentions air conditioning.

In regards from getting work from the ad, well directly we get a few sales, especially in the summer. However it is more about exposure than anything else. This particular magazine is read by almost all the Brits here, so it is very beneficial to be in it. There are 3 other air conditioning companies that advertise with them, so itīs very easy to be forgotten if people donīt see your name around regularly.

I spoke to the editor about 2 months ago (maybe a bit longer) after an article they wrote about air conditioning. That was almost positive, but there were a lot of mistakes in it and the info was old. They were giving old energy ratings etc. At the time I asked the editor if they going print anything again about air conditioning or heating could they run by us and the other companies first, to make sure they have their facts straight. He said he would and apparently said the same to two of the other companies. I wasnīt asked about this and neither were the other two companies.

And itīs not like this is a one off, they write articles like this every year (although they are usually not as bad as this), and ever year all the air conditioning companies complain about them. I even wrote an article for them with an unbiased pro/cons of all the heating options, they didnīt want to know.

multisync
06-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Just to clarify something, thatīs not the full article, the bit I posted is just the bit the mentions air conditioning.

In regards from getting work from the ad, well directly we get a few sales, especially in the summer. However it is more about exposure than anything else. This particular magazine is read by almost all the Brits here, so it is very beneficial to be in it. There are 3 other air conditioning companies that advertise with them, so itīs very easy to be forgotten if people donīt see your name around regularly.

I spoke to the editor about 2 months ago (maybe a bit longer) after an article they wrote about air conditioning. That was almost positive, but there were a lot of mistakes in it and the info was old. They were giving old energy ratings etc. At the time I asked the editor if they going print anything again about air conditioning or heating could they run by us and the other companies first, to make sure they have their facts straight. He said he would and apparently said the same to two of the other companies. I wasnīt asked about this and neither were the other two companies.

And itīs not like this is a one off, they write articles like this every year (although they are usually not as bad as this), and ever year all the air conditioning companies complain about them. I even wrote an article for them with an unbiased pro/cons of all the heating options, they didnīt want to know.

They are writing to their own agenda. You are stuck between a rock and a hard place and they probably know it..

It's unusual in that most small newspapers do almost anything not to upset their regular advertisers so they must be royally pissed off about air con or they have shares in a heating company...

Sadly papers are not about telling the truth they are about selling newspapers. It's hard to see where why this is there stance -maybe looking deeper into their other advertisers may lead to clues..

airefresco
06-12-2009, 09:19 PM
This is what surprises me, they are no and, to my knowledge, never have been any heating companies advertising with them. I doubt there actually any heating companies on the island, it never really gets that cold here.

Itīs a free monthly magazine so rely 100% on advertising. With the amount of businesses closing and people returning to the UK, you would think they would be doing everything they could to keep the advertisers they do have. Clearly not.

:off topic: By the way multisynch, I donīt know whatīs happing yet in Jan. If I can, Iīll get over to Fuerte, Iīll find a maintenance to do or something and give myself an excuse :D

multisync
06-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Perhaps the 4 air con companies should threaten to pull their adverts together. maybe a united front may help him see the benefits of heatpumps?

Brian_UK
06-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Is there any worth in you writing an article for submission to the magazine with more correct data?

Perhaps collaboration with your rivals over it so that you put forward a 'joint' face.

Karl Hofmann
07-12-2009, 12:45 AM
Ha! Brian beat me to it...How about contacting the editor to advise him on a feature on the benefits of heat pumps? (Write it for the numpty) Perhaps show some simple maths to show how much better they are to electric heating... And of course air conditioning comes free..:D