PDA

View Full Version : explanation of defrost cycle

moondawn
01-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Hi guys can anyone give a detailed explanation on how general split system units work on defrost ie what process it goes through?

maybe also on vrv/vrf if different

thanks lee

Brian_UK
01-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Just how detailed do you want it ?

The cycle reverses, the outdoor fan stops, the evaporator is defrosted. When the terminating thermostat is satisfied then it reverses again and produces more hot air from the indoor unit.

marc5180
01-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Do you mean what makes the unit go on defrost?

I would also like to know how different manufactures work and why don't they all just work off the coil temperture sensor on the condensor/evaporator.

I was working on a Daikin packaged unit the other day and the unit wouldn't go on defrost, i spoke to daikin and they said it works of 3 seperate sensors:rolleyes:...

VRVIII
01-12-2009, 11:51 PM
The following is a description of average small inverter split defrost control which may vary depending on manufacturer.

Defrost will be activated when all 4 items have been met

Coil temp is less than a preset value
Ambient temp is less than a preset value
Compressor accumulated run time since last defrost is greater than a preset value (usually about 45min)
Compressor continual run time is greater than a preset value (5~10min)

When a defrost has been activated the unit will then,

Stop compressor
Fully open expansion valve (equalising high/low pressures)
De-energise reversing valve
Stop outdoor fan (indoor fan off or LL)
Compressor starts (frequency is usually preset)
Expansion valve opens to preset number of pulses
Hot gas then defrosts coil
Defrost will end when a preset coil temp is reached (usually 8~12) or a preset time has been reached or compressor discharge line reaches a preset value
Compressor stops, system equalises, compressor restarts, reversing valve is energised and unit operates under normal heating mode control.

nike123
02-12-2009, 12:00 AM
Hi guys can anyone give a detailed explanation on how general split system units work on defrost ie what process it goes through?

maybe also on vrv/vrf if different

thanks lee

http://i49.tinypic.com/sglf8i.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/fezxw7.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/9u9hmr.jpg

moondawn
02-12-2009, 06:34 PM
hi there thanks for the info,

i was just wanting to understand how it all works, so basically the compressor stops and outdoor fan stops, then the reversing valve switches over and then compressor comes on and pumps hot gas into the coil allowing the defrost to happen never really touched on this subject before so thanks for all your input

cheers lee

Brian_UK
02-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Basically yes but compressor does not stop during changeover.

moondawn
02-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Basically yes but compressor does not stop during changeover.

hi brian

is this in most cases then that the compressor continues to run?
VRVIII posted this above:

Stop compressor
Defrost will end when a preset coil temp is reached (usually 8~12) or a preset time has been reached or compressor discharge line reaches a preset value
Compressor stops, system equalises, compressor restarts, reversing valve is energised and unit operates under normal heating mode control.

Cheers lee

Brian_UK
02-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Fair enough, I was thinking mostly of the smaller heat pumps.

They tend to keep running and dump the liquid into the accumulator.

moondawn
02-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Fair enough, I was thinking mostly of the smaller heat pumps.

They tend to keep running and dump the liquid into the accumulator.

thank you its a really good site this really informative thanks all;)

reganracelis
05-12-2009, 08:38 AM
basically defrost in evaporator coil occur when defrost timer not activate depending on the settings/ timer.. if this happen,reset the defrost timer..
if defrost timer are functioning well and you experience defrost/ ice forming in evaporator coil.. adjust the defrost timer or the thermostat setting... maybe it was too low...

moondawn
05-12-2009, 02:30 PM
basically defrost in evaporator coil occur when defrost timer not activate depending on the settings/ timer.. if this happen,reset the defrost timer..
if defrost timer are functioning well and you experience defrost/ ice forming in evaporator coil.. adjust the defrost timer or the thermostat setting... maybe it was too low...

hi there was not experiencing a problem was just keen to learn about the process of what happens how the coil defrosts etc

thanks for your input though

flyinkiwi
13-12-2009, 08:58 AM
:eek::eek::eek:

Nike123, I hope you've got comps + modules for the AOT12LFBC and OD fan motors + board for the AOT18 ready and waiting!

nike123
13-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Nike123, I hope you've got comps + modules for the AOT12LFBC and OD fan motors + board for the AOT18 ready and waiting! I really don't understand your humor!:eek:

mchild
14-12-2009, 07:08 PM
The following is a description of average small inverter split defrost control which may vary depending on manufacturer.

Defrost will be activated when all 4 items have been met

Coil temp is less than a preset value
Ambient temp is less than a preset value
Compressor accumulated run time since last defrost is greater than a preset value (usually about 45min)
Compressor continual run time is greater than a preset value (5~10min)

Stop compressor

On Daikin VRV-S what parameters are used for the normal defrost setting (temp, time and so forth) and how are those changed are when the quick and slow defrost setting are selected?