PDA

View Full Version : System charging

Dylan
16-12-2004, 04:59 AM
Has anyone had problems with charging a system with liquid in the low side of a domestic refrigerator using 134A? I have always been taught and have also read that there is a risk of compressor damage by doing this.

Brian_UK
16-12-2004, 10:25 AM
.....that there is a risk of compressor damage by doing this.That's right, there may be the possibility of liquid entering the cylinders and wrecking the compressor.

It could be argued that the maximum system charge for the fridge/compressor should ensure safe operation but with a cold compressor on start up and charging a risk is there.

Tejbir Singh
16-12-2004, 01:30 PM
there is a risk of compressor damage by doing this.

Yes there is a risk if u dump whole charge in one go. but if you are charging with small quantities then you will not face any problem.As heat generated by Compressor will vaporise the liquid refrigrent.

Good Practice is to charge with vapours only but in case of blends where refrigerant has to be charged in liquid state only then do the what I have mentioned earlier.

Tejbir singh :D

Mark
16-12-2004, 07:18 PM
Hi Dylan :)

I use a cap-kit ie a copper spun drier with a length of capillary c/w 1/4 brass connection.

Best regards Mark

eggs
16-12-2004, 07:51 PM
i use one of those flow reducer things from "yellow jacket" seems to work ok.
i timed it a couple of days ago, it took 15mins for 600g of 134a.

cheers

eggs

chemi-cool
16-12-2004, 09:03 PM
There is a small device called KWIK CHARGE that you connect to the suction line and charge with liquid refrigerant.

Never used it, only saw it. I believe it made by Imperial of USA.

Chemi :)

chillin out
16-12-2004, 11:36 PM
As good practice I always take my time when filling with liquid.

On the comps I have opened the intake is at the top inside the body and probebly not much chance of completly filling the body with liquid.

I thought it was that when even a smallish amount of liquid is put in, in boils off and lifts the oil into the pump which can destroy it and not the actual refrigerant liquid.

Exspeicially when youve already evacuated the system and the oil is ready to absorb most of the charge before it warms up.

ps any chance of getting a spell checker on this page. cos mine is atrotious

eggs
16-12-2004, 11:56 PM
just write it full of spelling mistakes and bad grammer, i've only been sort of told off for it once.

cheers

eggs

rbartlett
17-12-2004, 05:58 PM
where's 'quinte'??

cheers

richard

willies boy
17-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Use a drier that has a schreader valve fitted ,then charge directly into the liquid line.(NRS)

Brian_UK
17-12-2004, 11:37 PM
where's 'quinte'??You'll have to learn to Google more, Richard.

According to the WWW it is in Canada, which I suppose means that it is really somewhere completely different :D