PDA

View Full Version : That did not work

Kelly Frost
28-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Evening guys,

Just replaced the fridge thermistor on my Hotpoint FF72P
And yep she's runin at +19 just as before.
£20.00 down any pointers please,

Regards Frosty :confused:

Frikkie
28-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Does it cool down at all after you switch it on or is +19 ambient temperature? Can you give any more info?

Kelly Frost
28-11-2009, 07:53 PM
After switching it on some 2 hours ago its still sitting at +19 ambient temp. I note that there is no cold air blowing through the vents at the back of the fridge.

jpsmith1cm
28-11-2009, 08:43 PM
What diagnosis led you to replace the thermistor?

I'm sure that the local appliance parts shop will gladly sell you all the parts that you want to replace, but your wallet will be much happier if you figure out what is wrong with it before replacing a bunch of costly parts.

Kelly Frost
28-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Having read some of the members problems on this forum
it did seem like that was my problem to.

Obviously not.

jpsmith1cm
28-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Having read some of the members problems on this forum
it did seem like that was my problem to.

Obviously not.

Then, I'm not exactly sure how to help you. Some places that I hang out online have no Do It Yourself rules and I'm kind of new here.

I don't know what the protocol is here.

Basically, what I can safely say is this. If you don't know exactly what you are doing, you can be injured by the voltages and the pressures that are present in an operating refrigeration system.

Consider consulting a professional before proceeding.

spimps
29-11-2009, 07:33 AM
Alway unplug before inspection.
Is the compressor running? it's the black dome at the rear.Does it get hot or warm after a couple of hours?
If it is running and no cooling you could have a system failure,ie loss of refrigerant or a failing compressor.
Is there any clicking sound after switching on?
If it's not running at all could be electrical fault in control pcb or motor relay.

Andy
29-11-2009, 10:57 AM
After switching it on some 2 hours ago its still sitting at +19 ambient temp. I note that there is no cold air blowing through the vents at the back of the fridge.

Hi Kelly,

if your car lasted 19 years without any maintenace, would you assume you should start to make a repair on it yourself:confused:

If you buy a new fridge it will have a better energy efficiency rating (maybe an A instead of a C)

Do yourself a favour buy a new fridge, it will save you money in the longterm:D

Kind Regards Andy:)

Grizzly
29-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Then, I'm not exactly sure how to help you. Some places that I hang out online have no Do It Yourself rules and I'm kind of new here.

I don't know what the protocol is here.

Basically, what I can safely say is this. If you don't know exactly what you are doing, you can be injured by the voltages and the pressures that are present in an operating refrigeration system.

Consider consulting a professional before proceeding.

Good answer JP.
You will notice that the Guys that are more familiar with the forum.
Will tend to hold back on answering a post.
Unless the question is worded with sufficient information.
That allows a reasonable diagnosis!
This is to difficult to call!
So your is sound and sensible advise.

Sorry Kelly.
But you don't even tell us what the make and model is!
Grizzly

Kelly Frost
29-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Many thanks gents,

Fair comments from all of you.

It is a Hotpoint FF72P it is 8yrs old.

Was hoping for the easy fix, if there is such a thing.
And when you check current Fidge Freezer combo's
we got a lot for our money with this one.

Andy you may just be right.

appliancedude
04-12-2009, 05:09 AM
Ge's are horrible with defrost problems. First question is do you have alot of frost built up on the back wall of the freezer? If so, you have a defrost problem, which has nothing to do with the thermister you replaced.