PDA

View Full Version : Engineering Training

Robert Thwaites
04-02-2001, 05:59 PM
It appears that Robert has decided to delete all of his postings for some unknown reason.

Frank

WebRam
04-02-2001, 06:11 PM
do you have a structured apprenciceship programme ?
Has it got Goverment backing ?

PS. Welcome on board :-)

kevin
06-02-2001, 12:12 AM
how long have you been in the trade Robert? if you do not mind me asking.
have you worked in the UK and what do you see as the bigest diferences between the UK and Canada?

Thanks

kevin
07-02-2001, 12:41 AM
I am 52. I have never worked in the UK but I have worked with at least a dozen UK immigrants to Canada. Each and every one of them came here with a good understanding of the refrigeration industry - theory and practice. Here in Canada there is little or no training for Engineers or Consultants. We must define Engineers. We have Operating Engineers who monitor, provide minor service and calibration on large ammonia plants. We have refrigeration tradesmen or mechanics that service and install R12, R22, R134a, R123, R717, etc. refrigeration and air conditioning systems. We also have Professsional Engineers who design mechanical, electrical, chemical and civil systems. Refrigeration design falls under the control of mechanical Professional Engineers. In my opinion, there is little school education in refrigeration for these "professionals" in the refrigeration trade. I am a Professional Electrical Engineer who laboured for at least 30 years to understand my father's trade. My education in refrigeration was less classroom and more mechanical room.

Thanks for the welcome. This site could prove very interesting.

WebRam
07-02-2001, 12:45 AM
We have both a government sponsered (little to no funding assistance) for a Certificate of Qualification (C of Q) for a five year apprenticeship program and a parallel labour union 5 year apprenticeship program with entensive hands on work training, "free" weekly night courses and supplemental (with charge) additional courses for training and upgrades. The trade itself has a reasonably good training agenda. However as a Design Engineer responsible for selecting equipment, sizing accessories, sizing piping, etc. there is little to no training available. I learned most of my skills at my father's knees.

subzero*psia
24-02-2001, 08:08 PM
Here in the US we see a mix of what you are talking about. We are pretty agressive in the field of refrigeration technology as we are probably one of if not the largest users of it.

It surprises me to here that of Canada. We had engineering firms and consultants from all over the world including Canada come into our university on a regular basis. Often to share new technology as well as to hire. Most companies are or were seeking technicians while most of the student population in our field are or were taking the engineering courses... go figure.

I think this discussion may be relative of a posting about engineers etc., "fact or fiction" in the Gossip Factory forum.

Pooh
18-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Who is the idiot then?????

Ian

Grizzly
18-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Now Now Pooh,
Don't take take the xxxxxx
Grizzly

Pooh
18-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Grizzly
I'm not just could not work out what all the bl---y xxxxxxxx's are for or is it some sort of code, a bit like text talk.

Ian

Grizzly
18-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Pooh
Sorry it made sence when I first posted as the 5 posts (now deleted by Frank) were blank with just a line of xxxx (xxxx@s)'s.
( poor attempt at humour0
Grizzly

Pooh
18-12-2007, 11:46 PM
No worries I was a confused as you mate.

Ian