PDA

View Full Version : KickStart

litwok
19-11-2009, 03:43 PM
I just had a Goodman GPH1442h41 14 seer 3.5 ton packaged heat pump (scroll compressor) installed. Is it ok to install a Kickstart hard start on a new unit. I am getting mixed signals. Some say it is good and increases life of compressor others say no. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

monkey spanners
19-11-2009, 04:32 PM
I think all of the single phase scroll compressors i have seen have been PSC (permanent split capacitor, same capacitor connected during starting and running, no start realy or seperate start capacitor) as they are only need low starting torque due to having a scroll instead of pistons.

I would run with what ever the manufacture recomends is fitted as any change from this will effect the warranty, and the have designed it to work as is.

cadillackid
19-11-2009, 08:04 PM
my rule of thumb is I only install a hard start kit on a unit that is having startup issues.. and oftentimes startup issues are related to inferior plant wiring(long wire runs facilitate voltage drop)... or improper refrigerant charge.. or controls that short cycle the system without proper equalization time....

if the unit is starting fine id say dont install the kick start
-Christopher

chemi-cool
19-11-2009, 09:13 PM
When any system works fine -- do not touch it!

You loose the warranty if you change anything.

Gary
19-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Hard start kits do not improve system performance.

They are generally used to compensate for poor installation practices. They are a bandaid.

If you need a hard start kit, there is something seriously wrong.

And if they extended compressor life the manufacturer would use them.

Yuri B.
20-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Hello.
The OP's qwestion is answered 100%.
Seeing the thread's title name I cannot resist the wish to put the following question - without starting a new thread.
Did anyone ever tried, or even succeeded, in "curing" a ceized hermetic compressor by giving it an actual kick - a knock by a piece of wood (log) for instance - at the start, that is, the moment power is on to it (hoping the percussion triggers off the seizure). We always replace the ceized compressors but I'm thinking about trying the above "method" some next time (if the winding test will be passed of course (and keeping in mind that after the second ceizure the comp would be replaced on the spot)).

monkey spanners
20-11-2009, 08:34 PM
I got a siezed hermetic piston comp running by swaping two of the phases over, ran well enough to pump it down, but was noisey so i changed it.

When i cut it open to see what had happened i found it had snapped a rod.

Have read that you can swap the start and run windings for a second or so to try and unsieze single phase compressors.

Yuri B.
20-11-2009, 10:33 PM
swap the start and run windings for a second or so to try and unsieze single phase compressors.
One indeed has nothing to lose - so, why not to try it? Applying the "kickstart hard start" of the OP may also be reasonable - in solely the instance of seizure.

fixit
22-11-2009, 06:14 PM
I got a few smaller siezed hermetic piston comp running with a hammer and other times by swaping the start capacitor for the largest one i had at the time but don't let it stop you wont get a second chance and of course change it out as soon as possible.

Quality
22-11-2009, 08:32 PM
anybody tried the annie hermetic analyser

Yuri B.
23-11-2009, 01:30 PM
anybody tried the annie hermetic analyserThank you, did not know there is such device (http://www.ueitest.com/images/Product%20Manuals/HA1%20Web%20Manual.pdf), but can imagine what its price is.

hd88
14-01-2010, 01:05 AM
actually if any of you have been in the trade a long time you will remember the systems with a txv had start kits which consisted of a start cap and a relay, which is a "kickstart". these systems were trane and lennox,and it was optional. you dont see this much due to cost, but if you install a superboost or kickstart on your unit that just has a dual cap, it WILL help it and you wont be replacing that dual cap. it will help your compressor start with ease. some say they are for tight compressors and locked up ones, but those who say that are rookies and are listening to people who dont have a clue. if you have a txv, add a start rig. you will be doing yourself, and that compressor a favor, even on a new unit....take it from a 30 year heat pump tech, I read alot of crap in these forums and never speak unless someone is getting steered the wrong way