PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Innovations

frank
07-12-2004, 09:56 PM
I read today in this month's ACR News ( www.acr-news.com )that during a survey oif the American people, the greatest innovation during the last 75 years was AIR CONDITIONING!.

The top ten innovations are listed as follows:
1 Air Conditioning
2 Penicilliin
3 The personal computer
4 Global positioning satellites
5 Cell phones
6 Broadcast television
7 The Social Security Act
8 The Internet
9 Frozen food
10 Polio Vaccine

How does this compare with the thinking here in the UK (or worldwide ) ? Any comments ?.

Personally, I think it was the Sinclair C5. :D

Jasper
08-12-2004, 07:32 AM
Microwave ovens top invention, Makes Tesco ready meals quick so that i can get back down the pub :D :D

WebRam
08-12-2004, 11:35 AM
Those widget beer cans for Guinness

Fan bloodytasic

coolkev
08-12-2004, 01:19 PM
:cool: Angle grinders and Battery drills/screwdriver

Coolie
08-12-2004, 05:56 PM
Forget the widget, How about the BEER!! Now I know beer has been around for longer than 75 years, but it is always worth mentioning it!!!!!

What about listing what you think is the best invention and the the worst?
My worst would be those pesky Traffic wardens! Again, they've probably been around for longer than 75 years, but they have got to be the worst thing that anybody has ever thought of!!!!

Latte
08-12-2004, 06:50 PM
what happened to the WHEEL !!!!!!

chemi-cool
08-12-2004, 07:37 PM
what happened to the WHEEL !!!!!!

This is a "bit" older then 75 years :D

Chemi

Latte
08-12-2004, 08:01 PM
Hi Guys,

I am surprised that if this was an american poll that the "big mac" didn't get in the top 10 (No offence)

It's got to be one of there biggest exports :eek:

Regards

1/4 pounder fatboy

eggs
08-12-2004, 10:28 PM
coolie, have a word with our new friend, Des.
he knows a thing or two about traffic wardens.

cheers

eggs

Coolie
09-12-2004, 06:19 PM
coolie, have a word with our new friend, Des.
he knows a thing or two about traffic wardens.

I am sure that with a never ending wad of cash(as pictured in your avatar) you wouldn't need to worry about those pesky wardens.

Lets not forget to mention the congestion charge in london.
They should give you untill 10:00 am the following day to pay it.
Some people genuinely forget to pay it and are penalised for this.
On that subject, I was listening to some solicitor who called up to BBC 4 (not my regular station) and he was saying that the congestion charge can actually be deemed illegal.
He went on to explain that by paying the congestion charge you are buying a service that by rights should provide reduced congestion while driving through the zone. Traffic levels have gone down slightly, but not by the percentage they were promising before the scheme was introduced.
So all those people who pay the charge are receiving nothing for the £5 a day they fork out. Hence they (The Mayor) are with-holding a service after it has been payed for, making the congestion charge (scam) illegal.

frank
09-12-2004, 08:53 PM
I am sure that with a never ending wad of cash(as pictured in your avatar) you wouldn't need to worry about those pesky wardens.

Lets not forget to mention the congestion charge in london.
They should give you untill 10:00 am the following day to pay it.
Some people genuinely forget to pay it and are penalised for this.
On that subject, I was listening to some solicitor who called up to BBC 4 (not my regular station) and he was saying that the congestion charge can actually be deemed illegal.
He went on to explain that by paying the congestion charge you are buying a service that by rights should provide reduced congestion while driving through the zone. Traffic levels have gone down slightly, but not by the percentage they were promising before the scheme was introduced.
So all those people who pay the charge are receiving nothing for the £5 a day they fork out. Hence they (The Mayor) are with-holding a service after it has been payed for, making the congestion charge (scam) illegal.

I like the legal argument here but don't have the cash to test it. How long do you think it will be before it's challenged?

Coolie
09-12-2004, 11:24 PM
I like the legal argument here but don't have the cash to test it. How long do you think it will be before it's challenged?

It'll be the first thing on my list once I've won the lottery.
You'd need a good solicitor and big balls to go head to head with those guys!

eggs
09-12-2004, 11:56 PM
Before anyone ask for help using my "never ending wad of cash" to try this out, i may aswell change my avator to something more appropriate for this time of year.

cheers

eggs