PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler

Jim Blackwood
17-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Here's something a bit different I suspect. I'm building a system for charge cooling on a roots style blower system. The relevant facts are as follows. 8" x 13" x 3" evaporator fed by a multi-line distribution introducing the coolant to all lines of the bottom row, 2-1/2 ton orifice valve (TXV) with 3* preheat, and planning to use a Harrison A6 compressor. Condensor can be about 18" x 28" fin area. There will be two evaporators in the system, each controlled by a solenoid valve and TXV. One in the cabin for HVAC (convertible) and the above one under the blower. Operationally upon boost the solenoids will dump coolant into the intercooler and shut off the cabin evaporator. The idea is to size the drier as an accumulator in order to get a 15 second dump before exhausting the drier.

There are a few things I'd like some advice on however, first off having to do with A6 pulley sizes. I need an 8 groove serpentine pulley and am not aware of any being ever made for the A6 so I need a pulley with as large a belt diameter as possible, hopefully with the root diameter about the same size as the clutch diameter so that I can cut the poly-v grooves in it without hitting the cement around the clutch. That's the main thing I need and until I get past that obstacle nothing else is very relevant.

But the next concern is going to be overloading the suction line by dumping the drier and I want to make sure I don't slug the line into the compressor. Due to the high temps under the blower I can expect the TXV to run wide open as long as there is boost, and the gas has to have some room to expand over and above what the A6 can handle. Some can back up into the cabin evaporator which is expected to be about the same size as the intercooler but it may turn out that the only way to determine whether an accumulator is needed on the suction side is to see how it performs. I was sort of hoping you guys might have enough of a feel for it to know how well that's going to work out. The rest is a work in progress but I'm hoping to have it operational by spring or early summer.

So my question is, what was the largest pulley ever used on an A6 and what vehicle was it used on? Thanks.

Jim