PDA

View Full Version : Motor usage KW per hour

Sam Man
16-11-2009, 11:33 PM
New to site. Want to figure out cost on running motor. Volts times amps times pf times 1.75 over 1000= KW. A KW is enegry required to lift 44.26 pound, one foot, in one minute. Now, does that mean if my motor is 60 KW using above method to figure, I must multiply my 60KW by 60 minutes to get KW per hour or are my KW already in hours? Please help if u can. thanks

Segei
17-11-2009, 03:33 AM
KW is power. KW per hour is energy. 60 KW (power)motor at full load will run for 1 hour and energy use will be 60 KWh.

Frikkie
17-11-2009, 08:05 AM
Hello Sam Man,

When you say you want to know the cost of running a motor there are several factors to consider.

Cost suggests how much you pay on the bill so you need to know is the bill for Kilowatt Hours or are you paying for reactinve power (KVA)?

The rating of the motor gives its max its rating, it doesn't necessarily mean it is consuming 60KW or that you will se 60KWH on your bill every hour it runs.

Unfortunately knowing the mechanical load the motor is under doesn't mean you can calculate the electricity cost either as this does not take efficiency into account.

If you really want to know how much a motor will cost to run you should install a temporary metering device. Once you know the cost of running it for a day you can calculate the cost over longer periods of time.

Sam Man
17-11-2009, 12:39 PM
thanks Segie exactly what i neesed.