PDA

View Full Version : Super Seal

Freecool
16-11-2009, 07:28 PM
As anyone used super seal to repair leaks,
if so could do with some feed back.Have leak on condensor and our boss wants us to use this, but Im
a bit wary.

Freecool

Grizzly
17-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Hi Freecool.
I notice no-one has answered so far.
I know several engineers that so say have used it with some success.
Myself, like you I have always been to wary!
Hopefully someone has used it that are on the forum?
Cheers Grizzly

paul thompson
17-11-2009, 08:05 PM
As anyone used super seal to repair leaks,
if so could do with some feed back.Have leak on condensor and our boss wants us to use this, but Im
a bit wary.

Freecool
hi mate , i,ve used it once (was not too keen) .but it seems to have done the trick .one of our customers had a very small leak on a evap coil on a 2m serveover counter.no more leaks as to date .16 months since using it .

Freecool
17-11-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the feed back Grizzly & Paul, this on a 17.5KW system and might take 2 cans to repair?
All we are doing is trying to save the client cost
and I think it might be more trouble and costly in the long run. I,ve put me thoughts foward but if they say use it I suppose we will have to.

Thanks
Freecool

rude
18-11-2009, 08:16 AM
Ive used it a couple of times and have heard a heap of people using it with some success. But i dont really like it much, i wouldnt recommend using it is small splits with capillarys.

Z2TT
25-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Some people say that it clogs txv valves, while others have used it with success in large Systems or even smaller ones in vehicles.

Thing is it's about $150 PER CAN, so if you've got a larger system you'll be looking at about 3 or more cans depending on what the application is.

When I first posted here regarding sealers, everybody badmouthed them, but I hear of success with them a lot though. I cant give my opinion as i've never tried them.

Thanks.

superswill
25-11-2009, 03:36 PM
never used it myself but have Friends that have mixed response so far, many very happy others didn't rate it

on paper i can see many befits especially with older systems where not all the pipe work is accessible but hope it doesn't become a quick fix solution and replace detailed leak detection work

El Padre
25-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Hi Freecool,

I used it once (reluctantly) on a Daikin VRV, the system ran erratically for a while, compressor cutting in and out but not generating any fault codes, I returned to site with a service checker to have a better idea of what was going on and the system was running fine, and has been for a couple of years, I would not use it again though!

Cheers

Timpco
08-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Hi Freecool,
I was very wary of this stuff when it 1st came out and finally used it in a rooftop package unit with evap coil leaks.
it fixed the leaks...3 yrs later no leaks.
used on aprox 10 systems after that with success.
went back on 3 systems and found compressor starting problems.installed sppe8 start kit and supco,fine after that :)
Hope This info Helps

cadillackid
10-05-2010, 02:55 AM
I would think on anything with capillaries it might be a problem.. but if it doesnt clog TxV's I guess it should be ok.. and of course i wonrer happens to it if there is ever a real leak on a system and it has to be opened up.. does the super seal gum up when it contacts air in your gauge hoses or recovery tanks or if a system is open for a length of time say to re-fit a drier or a compressor.....
-Christopher

B G Scott
10-05-2010, 08:26 AM
I think it says on the data sheet not to use more than one can per system and as far as I am aware the chemical comes in just three sizes 0 to 5.2KW one 5.2 to 17.5KW and the largest 17.5KW ond over.
We have used it on small systems with very small leaks that were hard if not impossible to find, in insulation etc. and has seemed to work. We have however always advised the customer that this is not a permanent repair and made them aware that it may not be successful in the long term.

ZeroTolerance
16-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Don't use that ****!!! Fix the problem RIGHT the first time! It clogs TXV's and Capillaries. We have a Kairak Innovations rack system on the roof of one of my restaurants and the HVAC guy used it trying to solve the leak and clogged a TXV and caused High Head Pressure and the compressor to short cycle and the way the compressor has been sounding lately I'm waiting for it to go out at any time now

ZeroTolerance
16-05-2010, 06:42 PM
OOPS I dont think it was a TXC but a Head pressure valve or something like that. I dont remember what he said it was exactly. It had three pipes going into it

ZeroTolerance
16-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Sry memory came back to me. The Superseal clogged the head master

nevgee
16-05-2010, 10:34 PM
The info on the can explains this product reacts with atmospheric moisture at the leak site, causing the formation of a crystaline structure to block the hole. That being the case a dry system wouldn't /shouldn't have any problems with blocked Capillaries and TXV's, unless there is moisture in the system .. then you'll have a problem.

tradybrad
17-05-2010, 10:02 AM
used superseal once just to try it out on a 20kw crac unit after leak testing with nitro at high pressure not able to find minor leak .changed liquid line drier pulled sufficient vacuum then installed superseal 1 year on havent had any issues with this system its running a tx valve aswell.like it has already been pointed out it reacts to moisture and atmosphere dry system it should be ok.

cadillackid
17-05-2010, 03:53 PM
the part that bothers me is if down the road say you crack a vibration eliminator or such where the system loses complete charge and is open to the air and moisture what happens to the super seal...
-Christopher