PDA

View Full Version : Lubricating rings with POE/PAG - Bad Idea?

Z2TT
15-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Hello,

Many Online A/C pages seem to say that lubricating O-rings with some compressor oil before putting them in will help, to help them slide in better during installation of the hoses/lines. However I came across this page

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/march2003/mech.htm

Also keep in mind when replacing leaky o-rings on all A/C systems, including R-134a systems, that replacement o-rings and their fittings should be lubricated with either mineral oil or an application-specific, silicone-based lubricant instead of PAG or POE oils. PAG or POE oils should not be used due to their hygroscopic nature that can promote moisture attraction, possibly causing o-ring deterioration or thread fitting seizure. In theory what this is saying that if lubricated with pag/poe, the moisture attracted to that o-ring by the pag/poe will cause it to deteriorate, and I'd assume possibly leak.

In reality, would this be common? Should I worry about it when installing my o-rings and is it neccessary to use a lubricant other than pag/poe because of the fact that it can attract moisture if used on orings?

Thanks.

glenn1340
15-11-2009, 04:43 PM
In theory that may be correct but in reality just how moisture will be attracted to an o ring inside a screwed fitting. Any way I`ve never found moisture to affect any type of o ring. Synthetic oils however......aaaaargh

Will
17-11-2009, 01:51 AM
So spitting on the o-rings like I've been doing ain't a good idea ? ((J/K)) :)

The Fox
19-11-2009, 07:36 AM
only if you have had a heavy cold and come bring some of the green stuff up.

glenn1340
19-11-2009, 05:50 PM
only if you have had a heavy cold and come bring some of the green stuff up.

....and I thought the green stripe on an o ring denoted its grade!!

Magoo
20-11-2009, 03:28 AM
I always lube any o/ring with compressor oil. That has worked fine for the last 40 years, so don't intend changing practice.
The thing that really peeee's me off is R22 systems and o/rings grow when taken out.

lowcool
20-11-2009, 05:18 AM
have ya tried viton ones magoo.used to work for me but it has been a while now.
cheers

Magoo
20-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks for that Lowcool

RANGER1
21-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Silicon "0" ring grease is good for assy .
If its used on say R22 or ammonia has no known contamination problems that I know of .
Just don't use it near shaft seal faces , rubber bellows seals or seals that don't have anti rotation pins ( very slippery stuff ) .

bruisermac
24-11-2009, 05:18 PM
best by far is old school mineral oil in a small bottle. Carrier recommends putting parts together with this method. i have seen o-rings swell when POE is used.