PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic aircon on a Generator?

thisisreally
12-11-2009, 03:33 AM
Hi there,
How sensitive to 'dirty' power are small inverter air conditioners? such as the panasonic CS/CU-RE9JKR.

I need one in a remote location (I work in the bush during the week and it gets too hot to sleep) and was wondering if a 2kva trade type honda generator would run it without damaging it?

thank-you for your help.

James priyono
12-11-2009, 08:58 PM
voltage instability of the generator can damage the compressor, you must use a tool to stabilize the voltage coming out of the generator.

thisisreally
15-11-2009, 08:15 AM
So by the sounds of it i had best buy an inverter generator, eg honda eu20i, to give it a cleaner supply then.

thank-you very much for clearing that up

Frikkie
17-11-2009, 09:21 AM
If the compressor is supplied by an internal inverter it should be immune to the unclean power.

The electronic controls on the unit might suffer if the power is poor quality though. I agree you should buy a generator with a clean (pure sine) power output. Don't let the 'modified sine wave' thing fool you, it looks nothing like a sine wave. They should stop using this phrase because it is deliberately misleading for consumers.

thisisreally
17-11-2009, 11:17 AM
yeah i brought an inverter for here as well to run lights/laptop etc and been through the modified vs pure sine wave, it is very misleading.

i'd think damaging anything in the ac would be expensive to fix and ultimate not worth it just to save a bit on the gennie hey.

thank-you for the help

lowcool
17-11-2009, 12:12 PM
2 kva are you airconditioning an insulated swag?

thisisreally
18-11-2009, 10:07 AM
2 kva are you airconditioning an insulated swag?

hehe, nah trying to take the edge off the 38 C heat (occasionally, not always that hot) in a 5 x 2.5m uninsulated corrugated iron hut, that is in the sun all day.

Frikkie
20-11-2009, 01:53 AM
Hmmm, lowcool hasa point, 2KVA is very little power for running an airconditioner. Inverters and generators often are rated by their maximum output and won't supply this power for extended periods. I think a small air con would need at least a 4 or 6 KVA inverter or generator, maybe even more.

thisisreally
20-11-2009, 02:27 AM
The panasonic a/c i'm looking at has a power input (cooling mode) of 880w, and the honda generator has a rated power of 1600w. hence i am quite confident it will run it. (and also because it's an inverter a/c it doesn't have a large start current, all the better for the small generator)