PDA

View Full Version : Is there potential for heat recovery

ml dg
12-11-2009, 12:54 AM
hi
I work for a large dairy company which has a requirment for chilled water(2deg), this chilled water is created by a refigerant plant with a combined capacity of 2200kw, as a dairy plant has also need for hot water at 70deg c. i would like your opinion on whether it would be feasable to investigate the possibility of recovering heat from the hot gas discharge from the compressors

thanks

mad fridgie
12-11-2009, 01:01 AM
hi
I work for a large dairy company which has a requirment for chilled water(2deg), this chilled water is created by a refigerant plant with a combined capacity of 2200kw, as a dairy plant has also need for hot water at 70deg c. i would like your opinion on whether it would be feasable to investigate the possibility of recovering heat from the hot gas discharge from the compressors

thanks
That is a big YES.
You need to do a daily load profile of your hot water use and of you refrigeration use.

Do not limit yourself to de-superheating only.

ml dg
12-11-2009, 01:05 AM
thanks foe the reply i'll come back with more info.

multisync
12-11-2009, 01:52 AM
http://eurekaheatrecovery.co.uk/index.php

Segei
12-11-2009, 02:28 AM
There is potential of heat recovery for every refrigeration plant. Only three questions. Quantity, quality, price.

desA
12-11-2009, 02:47 AM
Sounds like a lovely place to set up a heat-pump.

As madfridgie said, please do not limit yourself to de-superheaters for this application.

Just remember, heat-transfer comes in three basic 'flavours' (source - Desmond Aubery - Consulting):
1. Heat-exchange = interchange/swap energy between two process streams across a common surface e.g heat-exchanger;
2. Heat-transport = move heat, at same temperature from one place to another e.g. heat-pipe;
3. Heat-amplification = move & upgrade heat (temperature) from one location to another e.g. heat-pump.

US Iceman
12-11-2009, 06:03 AM
I would investigate the use of a heat pump and a regeneration cycle to transfer heat anyplace suitable.

Gary
12-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Just remember, heat-transfer comes in three basic 'flavours' (source - Desmond Aubery - Consulting):
1. Heat-exchange = interchange/swap energy between two process streams across a common surface e.g heat-exchanger;
2. Heat-transport = move heat, at same temperature from one place to another e.g. heat-pipe;
3. Heat-amplification = move & upgrade heat (temperature) from one location to another e.g. heat-pump.

What are the pros and cons of each strategy, i.e. Heat-exchange vs Heat-transport vs Heat-amplification?

Gary
12-11-2009, 05:17 PM
At first glance heat exchange would seem to be sufficient for domestic hot water.

Not so?

http://www.doucetteindustries.com/products_vented_res.htm

Tesla
12-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Hi Guys
I agree with above posts that a heatpump should be added. Perhaps something like a scroll on R22 could achieve the best efficiency. I would imagine the chiller characteristics would determine the best system application. Also as mentioned the condenser (condensing refrigerant should be used as a preheat for hot water then the heatpump to amplify temp of water to the required temp. Then there would be system tuning such as trimming the refrigerant charge on chillerfor maximum efficiency.

brunstar
14-11-2009, 11:57 AM
depending on the capacity you can install a chiller with a water cooled condenser, this will reject the heat to your hot water supply if there is a demand for it.
You will have to find out your chilled water load first.