PDA

View Full Version : siemens fridge freezer gas leak

pk1was
11-11-2009, 08:10 PM
i have an intergrated fridge freezer about 4 years old its a siemens. the other morning the light was on inside the fridge but the fridge was warm. i have taken the fridge from its apeture in the kitchen and can see the compressor is working.

there is a bulge on the back wall of the fridge on the inside of the fridge and someone told me that indicates a leak, however when i look on the back of the fridge the pipes are concealed due to a back on the fridge that looks like heat protection type material, can this be repaired, can the back insulation stuff be removed/replaced.

im struggling to find answers and someone to come looking at it, obviously it will need re gassing as well once the leaks fixed will it

cheers

warren

spimps
11-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Finding the leak would be difficult.
Insulation can be restored but it's a messy and long winded job that isn't always succesful especially with freezers.
Having done this work in the past I no longer do it as IMO it's not a good repair ie,you can have secondary problems later on.
Painful advice but look for new one.

Frikkie
11-11-2009, 08:54 PM
I have also tried to fix similar problems and it's not easy. The pipes are often aluminum and there are sometimes plastic heat shrink couplings that leak. Spimps is right, lots of work and limited sucess rate.

pk1was
11-11-2009, 08:58 PM
cheers for the replies.

i have just checked on the fridge, its 3 years old in december and cost about 850 quid.

how long should they last now, it doesnt sound right to me under 3 years.

Frikkie
11-11-2009, 09:27 PM
I don't know how long they should last, the modern ones are designed to be disposable. I got my fridge as a wedding present in 1965. It needed a new thermostat in 1988 but it is still working.

pk1was
11-11-2009, 09:42 PM
i will give you double what it cost if you can deliver:)

Frikkie
11-11-2009, 09:54 PM
I'm afraid my daughter has first dibs on it when I'm gone. Apparently they're back in fashion again.

344martin
12-11-2009, 07:33 PM
cheers for the replies.

i have just checked on the fridge, its 3 years old in december and cost about 850 quid.

how long should they last now, it doesnt sound right to me under 3 years.

Return to retailer, or contact consumer direct 1st, durability clause suggests that owing to the high cost, you can reasonably expect it to last more than 3 years. You can claim a repair up to 6 years old, but get your facts straight first. May also be worth checking, but a lot of Siemens products come with 5 year guarantee anyway.