PDA

View Full Version : Electrolux 7831 - fridge too cold and noisy

Reporter
10-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Wow, great web site, glad I've found it!

I have an Electrolux integral fridge freezer (model 7831) which is about 7 years old. Recently the fridge has become way too cold (even with thermostat down to number 1), ice forms on the inside back wall.

Also, it has become fairly noisy most of the time, sounds a bit like Darth Vader breathing!

Was thinking about changing the thermostat but is it likely to be something more serious?.

Thanks.

amitsaxena
11-11-2009, 04:55 AM
Dear First Change the Thermostat then let us know if problem persists.

I feel changing Thermostat will sove ur prob.also let the all frost melt down before restarting the ref.
Thanks
Amit

Reporter
11-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks for your reply.

Do you really think though that the thermostat will stop the strange noises which are running almost constantly at the moment?

I noticed last night if I turn the fridge off for about 30 seconds then turn it back on, even if I turn up the thermostat the fridge doesn't seem to make the noise (or start freezing) for a couple of hours.

Really appreciate the help

Frikkie
11-11-2009, 10:02 PM
If you turn the fridge off and back on again in a short space of time you may damage the compressor. It's probably quiet after you do this because the overload safety has tripped and only resets after a period of time.

When you say it sounds like Darth Vader, does it sound like him when he's just heavy breathing or is it more like him when he's fighting The Alliance Jedi Knights with his light saber?

Reporter
12-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Definitely Darth Vader breathing heavily, or could be Dr. Who's tardis just getting reading for take off.....or an owl with laryngitis (my wife's idea, that!)

Appreciate your help.

May the force be with you my friend!

Reporter
30-11-2009, 01:21 PM
I've spoken to the 'technical' people at Electrolux and they suggested I defrosted fridge/freezer, leave for 48 hours then restart as it may cure the problem......it didn't.

From the noise I'm getting (which started again as soon as I restarted the fridge/freezer) - whooshing/gurgling sound every 30 seconds, makes me think it's not the thermostat.

Other suggestions have been a problem with the compressor, is that something viable to fix or is it time to throw away and start again?

Appreciate any help.

Nessie
11-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Hi Did you solve this problem or end up getting a new fridge? I have an Electrolux integrated fridge freezer which is doing the same thing. It is also about seven years old.

I would appreciate any help or advice.

big bear
12-02-2011, 12:19 AM
Sounds like its running out of gas slowly doom !!! is it in a normal place i e your kitchen ? or the Garage if its Garage theres the problem !!! put it in the kitchen/ house ;-)

Nessie
15-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Hi
It is in the kitchen. Can it be re-gassed and is it worth it?

Nessie
15-02-2011, 10:40 AM
BTW looking at the number of people who have viewed this thread it sounds like a common problem!!