PDA

View Full Version : Love to know what size Daikin I need.

Rach
07-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Hi All,
I hope this is an appropriate place and website to post my question. Apologies if its not, I am just getting desperate! I am wanting to get a Daikin inverter ducted model 3 phase air conditioner into our house as a present for my husband whilst he is away for the next two weeks.

I have no delusions that I could do this myself, so got out three guys to give me quotes. One guy was hopeless, and didnt even seem to know about inverter models existing so I am not bothering with him! The other two quoted me on totally different models in terms of kw rated capacity. When I try and delve into why they have recommended their particular model over a smaller or larger one they both say the other one is too big or too small. I cant seem to find any definitive data to verify which one is telling me the truth.
I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction. We are wanting to heat/cool 6 rooms via 5 zones. The total square metreage of floor space is 88sqm. I would say we would probably only ever have 3 of the 5 zones on at once. The two models I have been recommended are;
FDYQ100KAV1 rated capacity cool 10kw, and
FDYQ160KAV1 rated capacity cool 14.5kw
There is a huge difference in cost, so would love to know what you experts recommend. Thankyou so much and again sorry if wrong place to post - let me know and I will disappear!
Rachael

rude
07-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Where abouts in australia are you in?

Id personally go for the bigger one only because the smaller one will be undersized if you decide to use more zones.

Also how much have you been quoted?

lowcool
07-11-2009, 10:25 PM
gday rachael
as rude says definitely the second one,given your house design or location this may even be a bit on the small side.
cheers

Rach
07-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Hi, thanks for the advice. I am on the Central Coast- about an hour north of Sydney. I thought maybe because we werent going to use all the zones at once the smaller one might be fine, but will definitely take your advice on board. In answer to your question - I was quoted $11,100 inc switchboard upgrade for the bigger model. $8700 inc switchboard upgrade for the smaller. The larger model quote includes 70mm ducting and westaflex fittings. i am not sure what ducting and fittings are included in the smaller model quote. I am not sure if these are really worth extra money versus 20mm ducting and stock standard fittings.
Thanks heaps gents

rude
08-11-2009, 01:52 AM
Id go with the bigger unit. Thats actually fairly cheap compared with what we would pay over here in perth.

Rach
08-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Thanks heaps guys. I appreciate all the input.

brunstar
08-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Hi rachel,
Big is not always better especially if you want to zone the system.
You currently have a small property and if you are to install the larger unit youo will have to run all zones at once or it will blow you out of the room which will not be very pleasant.
If your property is 88sq m you should only require 10kw so the larger one will cost more to run and not control properly.
let us know how you go.
TIP:- Do not drive a semi trailer to drive to the corner shop..

brunstar
08-11-2009, 03:29 PM
what is your house made out of?