PDA

View Full Version : Your Comments on the selection?

smpsmp45
06-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Can you pl. comment on the selection of the receiver?

RANGER1
06-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Don't know what your local regulations require , but your calculations indicate that you want to store all liquid in plant .
That is a good thing but most systems this would be a luxury .
What situation would you have to pump out everything ?

NH3LVR
07-11-2009, 02:54 AM
What situation would you have to pump out everything ?
Many plants I have worked on are seasonal, and shut down in the winter. We would pump them all back in the winter time.
I would doubt that where I live you would get a Engineer to put his stamp on the plans if the receiver would not not hold all the charge and be less than 80% full.
That is not to say that many plants have not been added to over time and the receiver will not hold the entire charge. I have had to deal with this many times.
Another situation that could arise is if you shut down and have no place cool to keep the liquid. In warm areas you can blow a relief on the low side if you try to leave refrigerant in the evaps.

smpsmp45
07-11-2009, 05:20 AM
Yes the Plant operation is seasonal & hence the receiver has to take care of all the liquid. Am I considering extra safety as such?

RANGER1
07-11-2009, 06:27 AM
We are in a different climate than most.
I would say that all plants I work on never shut down .
Plate freezer plants with 20-30 tonne of ammonia , rely on low side accumulator as main liquid storage tank .
Cool stores never shut down either .

I agree with reciever being correct size whenever possible .