PDA

View Full Version : How much is a non-engineer to do??

steve.c
05-11-2009, 08:36 AM
Hi all,

I dont know if i've dreamt this, but during one of the Refcom seminars it was suggested that in the near future, the regulations regarding non qualified installers was changing to be more stringent. If I understand it correctly, it will mean that non qualified operatives working on kit can only install the bracket work and hang the units themselves, but no more. This is not the same for apprentices of course, as they are going through their education, but only for what I would class as a labourer. Therefore, it will mean that installers can only be either fully qualified or apprentices.

any help would be appreciated.
Steve

hyperion
05-11-2009, 01:33 PM
At the Refcom seminar I thought the implication was that unqualified pipework installers/fitters would still be allowed to carry out their work, provided that it was done under the supervision of a qualified person. But I might have misinterpreted this. It would only be the qualified person who was allowed to carry out the leak test etc.

Brian_UK
05-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Does it require a qualified person to do any joint making, brazing etc?

steve.c
06-11-2009, 08:24 AM
the guy has to have a brazing competance ticket to do the pipe jointing, but how much of the remainder of the install can he do without supervision?
It seems to me that if he has a safe handling and brazing ticket, in theory he can get along without going to college.

Clk320_Greg
06-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Given the quallity of REFCOM's support and there so everdent efforts to control and react those who are not registered should any body really give a rats arse about what they are saying?

taz24
06-11-2009, 09:45 PM
The level 2 NVQ is a supervised qualification, only at level 3 is one deemed competant to work unsupervised.

taz

W.Miller
07-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Passed F-gas. No need to worry about it, all should be ok, it's is a good course. You will think about things you don't normally care about. Enthalpy charts, etc.

Madcap
07-11-2009, 12:33 PM
I suppose Its one way of stopping the cowboys out there that are destroying the good engineers name.

taz24
07-11-2009, 05:42 PM
F gas does not make you an Engineer.

taz

coolhibby1875
08-11-2009, 12:17 AM
i always thought you could tie a brazing rod and torch to a monkeys hand and it would throw in pipe!!