PDA

View Full Version : Charging Problem on Fridge

xcxeon
04-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Hi guys, I'm (obviously) new here, and forgive me if this is the wrong place to be asking for help, but this was the first website I came across that looked like it had some people that could help me, so, here goes:

I have an older minifridge from 1998-ish. I received it as salvage, and was told it didn't work. Awhile back, I pulled it out of the box and plugged it in. Compressor ran, nothing happened, so after some fiddling I discovered it had no coolant in it.

I couldn't figure out how much coolant it was supposed to have in it at the time, only that it was r134a.

As well, I've never charged an appliance that small before, and I noticed it didn't have lps and hps connectors on it, just one fill port on the compressor.

So, I brazed a fitting to it, and put a little r134a in it, and plugged it in. It ran, and the evap got cold, so I packed it up, and forgot about it for awhile.

Recently, I pulled it out again, and started messing with it. I know it didn't have a leak because after a year or so, it still has the r134a in it, so I'm not sure why I received it with none in it.

Anyway, here is my current problem:

I plug it in, and the compressor starts up fine, starts running, and seems fine. After about 10 seconds, it starts to make some really weird hissing noises, similar to a normal refrigeration unit, but MUCH louder. Loud enough I can hear it from across the room.

It is a skin cooled unit, so the condenser is built into the outer casing of the fridge, and after running for about five minutes, the outside of the fridge is so hot you can barley touch it, and the drier/capillary tube is hot enough to burn you. The compressor however is barley warm, and the evaporator is cold, but not enough to even condensate.

I've noticed that it seems like the evap starts getting cool MUCH faster than any fridge I've ever seen (in about 5 seconds), it just doesn't get cold enough to even condensate that I've seen.

Did I charge it the wrong way? Or is it overcharged or undercharged? Or do you think the compressor may be bad?

It's an LG NS30LACG compressor.

Thanks for the help in advance, and again, sorry if this is the wrong place to be asking for appliance repair help. :(

Brian_UK
04-11-2009, 11:42 PM
When you recharged it earlier, did you evacuate it first or just put some gas in it?

xcxeon
04-11-2009, 11:45 PM
When you recharged it earlier, did you evacuate it first or just put some gas in it?

I evacuated it first.

Sledge
05-11-2009, 01:04 AM
I am thinking non condensibles and overcharge, remove the charge, vacuum it well, and then recharge...put in about half as much as you think you need to (pretend it is liquid gold) and you will probably be ok.

xcxeon
05-11-2009, 03:47 PM
I am thinking non condensibles and overcharge, remove the charge, vacuum it well, and then recharge...put in about half as much as you think you need to (pretend it is liquid gold) and you will probably be ok.

Alright, I'll try that. Thanks a lot. :)

R. skiffington
12-11-2009, 09:38 AM
I would leave it on pressure test at about 200psi for atleast 48 hours, if no pressure lost then change the drier evacuate and recharge. Weigh in correct charge, if correct charge unknown, i'd charge 200gms, throw a temp meter in the fridge, as it get's closer to set point, if it's not flooding back, add small amounts of refrigerant untill it starts flooding back (ice on suction line at comp) then stop charging and bleed refrigerant off (recover) untill the ice disapears, then wait untill the fridge reaches set point and re check suction line, should be nice and cold but no ice! easy!

AEnlath
26-11-2009, 03:17 PM
I own a 1996 GSX and we have been having a lot of problems with the key and the post it hooks on to. We replaced the post and the key, but we still have no signal. Does anyone know of anything that i could do to fix this problem?

samabraham
26-11-2009, 04:40 PM
follow mr R.skiffington he write way to gas charge