PDA

View Full Version : Which way up should the dessecant drier go?

r134junkie
04-11-2009, 12:15 PM
We are designing a capiilary system, and we are putting a dessecant drier in-line between the condensor and the capillary tube.
On some installation i've seen the capillary laid horizontally, but I've also been told that the capillary should have the capillary inclined up with the capillary outlet end pointing UP to get a liquid seal on the inlet to the drier.
Other things I've read (and images of some products on the web) suggest that the drier should point DOWN, to ensure a liquid seal over the inlet end of the capillary (stops vapour refrigerant going into the capillary which is bad).
What's the correct oientation of the drier?
Thanks.

a newbie

r134junkie
04-11-2009, 12:18 PM
We are designing a capiilary system, and we are putting a dessecant drier in-line between the condensor and the capillary tube.
On some installation i've seen the DRIER laid horizontally, but I've also been told that we should have the DRIER inclined up with the capillary outlet end pointing UP to get a liquid seal on the inlet to the drier.
Other things I've read (and images of some products on the web) suggest that the drier should point DOWN, to ensure a liquid seal over the inlet end of the capillary (stops vapour refrigerant going into the capillary which is bad).
What's the correct orientation of the drier?
Thanks.

a newbie

Gee I'm a goose. I should proof-read before I hit submit..

lowcool
04-11-2009, 12:37 PM
who cares as long as the charge etc is correct but vertical is preferable.

skol

r134junkie
04-11-2009, 01:05 PM
vertical eh? outlet (capillary end) up or down?

monkey spanners
04-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Capiliary out at the bottom, feed from condenser in at the top imo.

keepmecool
10-11-2009, 06:44 AM
Dont think it makes much of a difference, if anything we fit the drier at an angle with the capillary out the top.

Gary
10-11-2009, 07:21 AM
Cap end (drier outlet) down.

desA
11-11-2009, 02:26 AM
Cap end (drier outlet) down.

Agreed. :)

If memory serves, the Sporlan literature also recommends this orientation.

Tayters
23-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Dryer outlet facing down and capillary coming out the bottom, this is to get the vapour seal as you mentioned over the capillary. I've been told that vapour in a capillary line can cause turbulance and act as a blockage to some degree.
I have seen dryers upside down though and everything seemed to be working fine.

Still if a jobs worth doing...