PDA

View Full Version : Speed Traps

frank
23-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Has anyone got any experience of this stuff? Does it work? http://www.bbahostcity.com/index.php?id=173&affid=4586

Brian_UK
24-11-2004, 12:00 AM
"Does it work?" he asks....

I don't know but the question surely should be.. "Do you believe the advert ?":cool:

Latte
24-11-2004, 12:09 AM
Hi Guys,

A couple of things :-

1) It Isnt legal in this country.
2) If anyone thinks it works and you will get away with speeding then think again. Speed camera photo's are high res and just covering the plate will p the police off even more and they will enlarge to get any details possible ( Dealer sticker ect)

Now i know i am not whiter than white but at the end of the day if you are speeding then you deserve to get caught !!!!

Yes i have 3 points (35 in 30 in Cambridge) and fully deserve it. I have 2 kids under 5 and am fed up of cars going past my house which is a 40 limit at all speeds

Regards

My Grumpy

WebRam
25-11-2004, 08:35 AM
Well hold on a dag gone minute there Mr Grumpy.

I agree that speeding in 30 zones is just down right criminal and in fact I do believe there is a very good case for LOWERING the speed limit in some 30 zones.

But saying that. A hell of a lot of these "safety" cameras are in fact positioned in 60 zones and on long stretches of perfectly safe roads.

One should always observe the speed limits but how many times has your speed crept up that 5 miles over the posted limit. As by your own admission, I bet more than once.

I have installed the tomtom programme into my PDA and an add into the programme keeps me posted as to where all the "safety" cameras are positioned.

how many times have you been driving down a dual carriageway, crested a hill, only to find some tosser in a white van with a hole cut out in the back door, leering through a camera at you? .......... Why don't we call it as we all know it. A TAX.

Oh and before you ask. I don't have any points on my license

regards, from Mr Indignant ;)

Snowman123
25-11-2004, 03:45 PM
:eek: http://www.truvelo.co.za/traffic/index.html

chemi-cool
25-11-2004, 07:32 PM
I use the latest radar/laser detector by Uniden.
Excellent little device, always saves me - no points since 1970!

You can get in Americe (where else) that film to cover your plates ages ago.
Over here, many drivers hang a CD under the back view mirror,
they say it reflects the ray back? :rolleyes: I don't believe it.

The best way to avoid unpleasant sessions with the police is to obey the law!! :D

Drive carefully.

Chemi :)

Peter_1
25-11-2004, 08:32 PM
If they trap you in Belgium with a radar detector, the whole car can be taken and you even receive also a very... very high fine.
Chemi, the hidden cameras, do they take pictures when you have passed the unit or when you drive to it?
All the units in Belgium take a picture of you when you have passed the camera. So the beam who measures your speed comes from your back, so if you should use a detector, it's signal will come to late.

chemi-cool
25-11-2004, 08:51 PM
Hi Peter.

Haven`t you heard in Belgium? its 2004!

Speed cameras do take your picture from behind but I know where are the real ones and where are the dummies
http://www.topspeed.co.il/
http://www.nashville.net/speedtrap/

Check yours.

Chemi

Peter_1
25-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Hi Peter.
Haven`t you heard in Belgium? its 2004!
Chemi
What do you mean with this Chemi?

Peter

chemi-cool
25-11-2004, 09:21 PM
So,
There is a thing called human rights, freedom of the individual.

I never heard of such a law. Whats the point behind it?
Can you buy alcohol? It kills.
Cigarretts? they kill too.
Radar detector? can save you money and some times life.
Why not?

Chemi :)

Peter_1
25-11-2004, 09:38 PM
I see your point Chemi and seen from that point of view, you're right.
But...it's one of our laws, so we have to follow the law.
Safety belt... if you don't wear it,then you only fool yourself. Well..if a police officer sees you without your belt...50 € to pay immediate. If you can't pay,..then it goes to the court and will cost +/- 150 €.
They will introduce probably next year a system for a drivers license with points: each time you do something wrong, it will cost you points. As soon you reach a certain level, they will take your license and you will have to go back to school again and do all your driving exams again, theoretical and practical.

Abe
25-11-2004, 10:15 PM
I am not against speed cameras..............and before I start I have no penalties or pooints or fines................But Im a marketing man and I wonder why the Police like to be hated..........

Yes, you prob wondering just what the hell Im saying.............

Here in Leicester they put up a camera.........on the A47 coming into Leicester from Peterborough. Youre cruising on a major A road...........suddenly tou encroach into Leicester and get snapped............

Speed limit...............30 MPH , imagine, just while the brain is still in cruise mode.

This camera brought in revenues of 60 000 Pounds in a short period.............I think it was over a 6 months....period.....

Speed cameras are meant for accident blackspots...........not to be placed willy nilly just because you have a government grant so you use it up and litter the whole place cameras..........for the sake of it........and justify it by saying...........Ohh we cut down the death rate!!!

The other thing................The police have this " attitude" where like little kids they amuse themselves watching the public trip up.............

I know they are some rotten drivers about.............but lets be sensible................putting up a 30 mph limit on a stretch where it is reasonable to allow 40 mph.............does not make sense to me.

When it becomes a cat and mouse game I disagree

In South Africa the police hide in bushes...............Its a game.........You catch the motorist...........fine him and then the police accepts a bribe............

No, I think the whole things a sham...........

UK was an intelligent sensible logical place..............Now normal people are becoming criminals...........The police are giving them a reason to hate and despise them..............

Mr Grumpy..............you got lumbered 3 penalty points and a 60 Pound fine...........foe what ??? For doing 5 mph over the limit ???????

How many times have I strayed a little over...............

I tell you what the real culprit is.................Its drink drivers............and guys on spliff and weed.......and tablets!!!

We dont need more cameras..........We need more VISUAL signs..........signs which light up and warn you...........we need more offside checks..........Breathlisers.....and blood tests........

Clicking a camera and fining is the easy way out...............

eggs
25-11-2004, 10:40 PM
i wish i could get up enough speed to get snapped in my van !
by th time i get to 30mph i'm at the next traffic lights. then it starts all over again.
ahhhh the quiet life of a 1.9 scudo, radio2 in the background and a young chavster telling me about last nights exploits.

cheers

eggs

Karl Hofmann
25-11-2004, 10:48 PM
I agree, I have no problem with being nicked for speeding, but what I object to is the SOBs who run with no tax, insurance defective vehicles, drunk or doped up, only a copper in a car can deal with these idiots. Perhaps there is too much paperwork for the police to do for the joke sentences that the courts dish out. It must be pretty soul destroying for a copper to spend ages making sure that all of his paperwork is 100% and then see the little scrote get community service for driving round in an uninsured wreck.

eggs
25-11-2004, 11:26 PM
never mind paper work, what about public protection.

a few years ago i did get a tug for speeding (my car and motorbikes are a great deal more lively than the scudo), and there i was listening to the tosser preaching to me about road safety when "female being assaulted, in anystreet anytown. can anybody attend" blared out over the radio. not 50 yards away from where we were.
the tosser had my cis card in his hand so he knew who i was. i said "go and sort that out, i'll wait here for you"
tosser said " i'm already busy dealing with a crime"
i said "give me the ticket and **** off, go and help the lady,you worthless piece of ****" he said "no"
he then continued to "deal" with me until the rest of his work shy cronies turned up, only then did it "attend" to the assault.

cheers

eggs

chemi-cool
26-11-2004, 09:33 PM
Hey Peter,

Is that why You are not allowed radar detectors in Belgium? :D

willies boy
27-11-2004, 05:17 PM
I have used a Road Angel for 2yrs now and have not got another point ,when i was on 9!So £350 well spent,it alerts you to all the cameras ,fixed/mobile/specs the whole caboodle!